Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking and cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm a new Tesla owner 2023 MS. Came from an Audi A6. Have a couple questions regarding my MS:

1) This car has forward facing cameras, is there a way to access this camera while pulling into a parking spot? When I'm in reverse I can see the rear and side cameras, but when I'm pulling forward into a spot I don't see a way to access the front camera.

2) Are there no audible cues as to distance to objects when parking? I understand that my 2023 model has no USS, but I thought Tesla was working on bringing Park Assist back using Vision? Found an article stating latest patch 2023.6.9 rolls this out (or does this not apply to model S?)

So I'm a new Tesla owner 2023 MS. Came from an Audi A6. Have a couple questions regarding my MS:

1) This car has forward facing cameras, is there a way to access this camera while pulling into a parking spot? When I'm in reverse I can see the rear and side cameras, but when I'm pulling forward into a spot I don't see a way to access the front camera.

2) Are there no audible cues as to distance to objects when parking? I understand that my 2023 model has no USS, but I thought Tesla was working on bringing Park Assist back using Vision? Found an article stating latest patch 2023.6.9 rolls this out (or does this not apply to model S?)
I am new to Tesla with Model S delivered 3/31. I think that Model’s 3 & Y are the ones getting this 2023.6.9 software update. Once, debugged we should be getting our update at some point. In the meantime, no distance sensors front or rear.

I wouldn't hold expectations too high, the windshield camera still won't have a proper view on the close proximity of your car front bumper.

Tesla Vision is basically trying to 3D map objects it saw earlier, with average success...
I agree with your statement, yet looking at the video, what sort of person uses their children as object experiments in front of a deadly vehicle?

Last edited:
Driving last night during a heavy downpour. Got warnings from the MS that multiple cameras were blinded. Guess that means all the safety systems (pedestrian detection, automatic emergency braking, forward collision warning, lane departure, etc) were nerfed by simple rain.

I wouldn't hold expectations too high, the windshield camera still won't have a proper view on the close proximity of your car front bumper.

Tesla Vision is basically trying to 3D map objects it saw earlier, with average success...

Still pretty good improvement even if not perfect. I like the assist you now get when pulling in to the space. I pickup my MYLR later this week. I'll have to convince my wife to sit in front of my car after I've parked to see how well it works :)

I was going to ask this too. I'm thinking of a Tesla and I had a 22 A4. My garage, on the side I park has very little clearance between the washer (in the front) and the garage door (in the back) when I drive in. Using the front camera I could see how close I was to the washer, and I had placed markings on the sides where the tires would be so I would use the side cameras so if I was in straight.
While I'm hearing they are brining back the distance markers not all the Teslas have them yet.

I was wondering about that. How easy does rain flow off the rear window on the X/Y?
And hmmm... While there is no snow where I live, it does rain. with everything relying on vision cameras, I wonder how bad are they in rainy weather.

Driving last night during a heavy downpour. Got warnings from the MS that multiple cameras were blinded. Guess that means all the safety systems (pedestrian detection, automatic emergency braking, forward collision warning, lane departure, etc) were nerfed by simple rain.
It's designed in Fremont CA, where there is no rain for 9 months of the year. Even in the winter, the rain is drizzle. So, Vision is the only thing that is needed, right?!?!?

Reactions: KalJoMoS
My 2023 MS gives me those warnings all the time when driving at night. no rain, no fog, clean car,...

While we have bad weather app. six months a year the USS on my 2016 car does give you reliable proximity readings after long distance drive during drifting snow if parking at home. To get the right position on my driveway I do need to clean the rear parking camera by hand for it, although all the back side is covered more than a inch thick of a accumulated snow. I just can’t see the reason they decided to remove the sensors. I do hope that the rear radar is real thing on Tesla.

Reactions: StevenSD
Likely reasons USS sensors removed:
1) Shortages of parts available (during Covid, etc.)
2) Cost (passed on with lower vehicle costs)
3) Reliability (fewer parts, fewer failures)
4) Reduced complexity
5) USS fails to work when mud, ice, and snow built up on sensors
6) USS does not detect some objects at some positions (especially thin poles)
7) USS easily damaged by a bump at a sensor (but it can be poped back in for $150 labor or so)

I've not heard any signs of rear radar. New HW4 cars have a single new HD front radar.

I'm not saying that Tesla Vision is better than USS in every condition, but it has the potential to be quite good. With the new software, the rear with Tesla vision can be quite accurate. The front is a mixed bag as there is a dead spot in front that it has to guess at. Ideally, it needs a camera at the very front of the car, and perhaps one will show up in the future as the HW4 hardware seems to support an extra camera that is not yet connected.

5) USS fails to work when mud, ice, and snow built up on sensors...
Cameras too 🤣
7) USS easily damaged by a bump at a sensor (but it can be poped back in for $150 labor or so)
So now it's the full bumper to replace because most non-vehicle obstacles won't be seen 🤣
I've not heard any signs of rear radar. New HW4 cars have a single new HD front radar.
I wish Tesla had rear cross traffic alert

I wonder if HW4 cameras are more low-light-sensitive? Seems HW3 and having no USS or radar is not the best combination at least with the current version of Tesla Vision. Glad USS still works on my 2022 S.

The advantage of at least the front cameras is they can be cleaned by the windshield wiper. The front and rear cameras are up quite a bit higher than the USS so are usually (but not always) out of the way of snow and mud.

The new HW4 headlight cameras would seem to be at risk for obstruction by mud or snow, although the heat of the headlight should keep it clear from snow. It's the same problem all manufacturers that depend on solid-state Lidar have.