TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Parking and Charging Outside

Discussion in 'Model X' started by voltronhb, Jan 11, 2017.

1. voltronhb

voltronhb Member

We have single garage doors and the Model X barely fits into our garage due to the width of the car. We pretty much need to fold the mirrors each time to get in. When parking and charging outdoors, is there anything we need to consider? Would the interior leather crack or wear out more quickly? Do we need to consider a HWPC? We park our Model S indoors and use the mobile charger.

2. chrisnavline54

Have you tried the Summons? curious as l have the same dilemma, except my garage is at a slight incline.....

3. Maaz

Maaz Member

I've parked our Tesla's outside for the past 3 years. No problems.

• Like x 1
  4. Tam

Tam Active Member

It's a convenience, not a need.

• Like x 1
  5. PedanticOne

PedanticOne MyTesla Refresh Champion

My neighbor has parked his Model S outside for as long as he's owned it, and it was one of the first batch of cars. Still in great shape.

• Like x 1
  6. voltronhb

voltronhb Member

I've tried summon on the narrow setting but the Model S is a nervous half way and gives up.

7. Khanhvngo

Khanhvngo Member

Hi, We have a Model x and we don't have a garage, We park our X outside next to the house, it's middle of winter now, no issue that I can see so far.

PS the 240 v charger is on the side of the house also, plug in outside in all condition. NP !!!

• Like x 1
  8. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

To keep the interior cooler, you might consider this:
    https://www.heatshieldstore.com/sun_shades_for/tesla/model_x/2016

• Like x 1
  9. toxicpenguin

toxicpenguin Member

I've been parking and charging my MS and now my MX outside since 2013. I had a extension cable buried in the ground to get the 240v connection closer to the car. I use the charge cable that came with the car, not the HPWC that tesla sells separately
    So far, not had a single issue with exterior or wear on interior. I'm in CT so the car has faced harsh summer heat and winter cold for 3 years now. Both my cars however have been opticoated at purchase. Cheers

10. David29

David29 Member

I live in a northern area (near Boston) but even around here, I know that some cars (other marques, not Tesla) experience leather and/or dash cracking when parked outside for prolonged periods (over a period of years). Orange County would be much worse for sun exposure than here, and the Tesla Model X has a lot more glass than other cars. So it would be prudent to get windows tinted, and possibly to also use sunshades. You can buy shades for most cars that block sun through the windshield and rear window, maybe even side windows. Such shades are made to be folded up and stored while you are driving. Something like that might be a good idea. Possibly Tesla's own sun shades would be helpful and sufficient. The other thing you might do is to be sure the leather (if you use it) is kept soft by application of leather conditioner. That should help deal with sun damage. A good upholstery shop could provide more specific recommendations. Whether or not there is an analogous treatment for the non-leather seats, I do not know. And i do not know what would be a good treatment (if any) for the dashboard. (If you find out, let me know -- I park my Model S outside, too! But it is not old enough yet to show any damage.

• Like x 1