Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking and Charging Outside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have single garage doors and the Model X barely fits into our garage due to the width of the car. We pretty much need to fold the mirrors each time to get in. When parking and charging outdoors, is there anything we need to consider? Would the interior leather crack or wear out more quickly? Do we need to consider a HWPC? We park our Model S indoors and use the mobile charger.

Hi, We have a Model x and we don't have a garage, We park our X outside next to the house, it's middle of winter now, no issue that I can see so far.

PS the 240 v charger is on the side of the house also, plug in outside in all condition. NP !!!

Reactions: voltronhb
We have single garage doors and the Model X barely fits into our garage due to the width of the car. We pretty much need to fold the mirrors each time to get in. When parking and charging outdoors, is there anything we need to consider? Would the interior leather crack or wear out more quickly? Do we need to consider a HWPC? We park our Model S indoors and use the mobile charger.

To keep the interior cooler, you might consider this:
https://www.heatshieldstore.com/sun_shades_for/tesla/model_x/2016

Reactions: K-MTG
I've been parking and charging my MS and now my MX outside since 2013. I had a extension cable buried in the ground to get the 240v connection closer to the car. I use the charge cable that came with the car, not the HPWC that tesla sells separately
So far, not had a single issue with exterior or wear on interior. I'm in CT so the car has faced harsh summer heat and winter cold for 3 years now. Both my cars however have been opticoated at purchase. Cheers

I live in a northern area (near Boston) but even around here, I know that some cars (other marques, not Tesla) experience leather and/or dash cracking when parked outside for prolonged periods (over a period of years). Orange County would be much worse for sun exposure than here, and the Tesla Model X has a lot more glass than other cars. So it would be prudent to get windows tinted, and possibly to also use sunshades. You can buy shades for most cars that block sun through the windshield and rear window, maybe even side windows. Such shades are made to be folded up and stored while you are driving. Something like that might be a good idea. Possibly Tesla's own sun shades would be helpful and sufficient. The other thing you might do is to be sure the leather (if you use it) is kept soft by application of leather conditioner. That should help deal with sun damage. A good upholstery shop could provide more specific recommendations. Whether or not there is an analogous treatment for the non-leather seats, I do not know. And i do not know what would be a good treatment (if any) for the dashboard. (If you find out, let me know -- I park my Model S outside, too! But it is not old enough yet to show any damage.

Reactions: voltronhb