Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking Assist Not Working [not Autopark]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else having parking assist issues please ?

Had Model 3 LR since middle of March. Done about 3K miles in it. Very happy overall.
In the last couple of weeks, Park Assist warning message been appearing and it's not working.
Contacted Tesla, told me to clean sensors etc and report back.
Did this and fault disappeared but keeps coming back again whether I clean them or not.
Booked in for service - Tesla have refused it as saying its a not a hardware fault and a known software bug and I'll have to wait for a firmware update.

Is this what owning a Tesla is like ? 50K for a car and one of the main functions you've paid for is not working so you'll just have to wait for a update ? I am not sure how they get away with fobbing people off like this. Anyone else had similar experience please ?

Reactions: jagost0894
Is anyone else having parking assist issues please ?

Had Model 3 LR since middle of March. Done about 3K miles in it. Very happy overall.
In the last couple of weeks, Park Assist warning message been appearing and it's not working.
Contacted Tesla, told me to clean sensors etc and report back.
Did this and fault disappeared but keeps coming back again whether I clean them or not.
Booked in for service - Tesla have refused it as saying its a not a hardware fault and a known software bug and I'll have to wait for a firmware update.

Is this what owning a Tesla is like ? 50K for a car and one of the main functions you've paid for is not working so you'll just have to wait for a update ? I am not sure how they get away with fobbing people off like this. Anyone else had similar experience please ?

I've tried it. Doesn't seem to work very well. Could be another instance of the RHD demon coded by LHD Calinerds? Others have curb rash to show for their efforts. I bought the car for long haul drives, not to park itself. Well satisfied for my 1000 mile jaunts to Catalunya :)

• Disagree
Reactions: Ratch
I have same issue, i had tesla look at it and said new known issue (they dialed in remotly and said the sensors are actually fine so will send logs off..),

I have tracked my issue to pre heating the car from the app before driving, If i do that it pretty much guarantees that i wont get any parking sensors for that drive. once the car is left for a few hours parked up its all fine ahain. really noticed it in the cold snap last month as was on my way to work but never coming home till i tested heating the car before leaving the office.

not been an issue latley as its just meh weather so no preheating, some mornings i chose a warm frost free car over the parking sensors,

(never actually tried autopark as its not shown up avaliable where i generally park)

hope they fix soon, i had issue in software 2021.4.12 + 4.15 that im currently on. 2021 M3 MIC car LR

Reactions: SmithyP
I've tried it. Doesn't seem to work very well. Could be another instance of the RHD demon coded by LHD Calinerds? Others have curb rash to show for their efforts. I bought the car for long haul drives, not to park itself. Well satisfied for my 1000 mile jaunts to Catalunya :)

Cheers, it's not the actual self park feature which I haven't got - its the parking sensors when you are reversing not working.

I have same issue, i had tesla look at it and said new known issue (they dialed in remotly and said the sensors are actually fine so will send logs off..),

I have tracked my issue to pre heating the car from the app before driving, If i do that it pretty much guarantees that i wont get any parking sensors for that drive. once the car is left for a few hours parked up its all fine ahain. really noticed it in the cold snap last month as was on my way to work but never coming home till i tested heating the car before leaving the office.

not been an issue latley as its just meh weather so no preheating, some mornings i chose a warm frost free car over the parking sensors,

(never actually tried autopark as its not shown up avaliable where i generally park)

hope they fix soon, i had issue in software 2021.4.12 + 4.15 that im currently on. 2021 M3 MIC car LR

Great - thanks for that - sounds very much the same as my issue as has only been happening recently with the cold weather we've been having. They did tell me to try pre-heating the car a bit earlier in the morning so will give that a go. Just find it odd they'd say this though as had VWs for years with parking sensors and never had any issues in all weather conditions and no pre-conditioning function so not sure what the issue it. As I said to the poster above, it's not auto-park function as I don't even have that feature - it's the parking sensors not working when I am reversing,

Oh, I'm sure you can spend a lot more with Tesla and get fobbed off too....👿

I have an issue with my sensors too. The rear passenger side corner sensor didn't warn me that I was too close to a parked vehicle while reversing in a tight parking area. Consequently I've now got a few scratches on my bumper. Got someone to test them when I was sat in the car and no warnings were given off yet when I dive down the road its like Blackpool illuminations on the screen from the sensors. I just look the other way when I walk past the scratches

Yes it is, mines £70k! sensors are ok at the moment but my drivers side mirror does not unfold when unlocking, took it in, mirror replaced, when I collected it it did exactly the same and I was told after waiting for 30 min that it was a software fault and I'd need to await a software fix to be written to be deployed at some later date, when.who knows?
Are Tesla worse than other manufactures at fixing faults? In my experience no however the build quality of the cars and the components in the first place is not as good as a lot of other premium makes, again just my experience.

I find it hard to understand how some, but not necessarily all, different models react to software changes.
my March 2020 3LR has never suffered power loss at low SOC. The parking sensors just work and the mirrors always fold. Plus my wipers always worked fine.
one wonders how much is true and how much is bull.

Reactions: SmithyP and M3noob
I find it hard to understand how some, but not necessarily all, different models react to software changes.
my March 2020 3LR has never suffered power loss at low SOC. The parking sensors just work and the mirrors always fold. Plus my wipers always worked fine.
one wonders how much is true and how much is bull.
I'm sure that there are loads of perfect Teslas out there, the owners of which obviously don't raise issues on forums. I am also befuddled about the almost random nature of problems (albeit that there are some more common ones that affect more people) , I had never seen any issues about wing mirrors but the service centre assured me that it is a known problem and a fix is being developed, I assume therefore that I am not alone. Quite why they couldn't have told me that before I spent over 3 hours to drop off and collect the car and before they went to the expence of replacing the mirror motor I have no idea.

I'm sure that there are loads of perfect Teslas out there, the owners of which obviously don't raise issues on forums. I am also befuddled about the almost random nature of problems (albeit that there are some more common ones that affect more people) , I had never seen any issues about wing mirrors but the service centre assured me that it is a known problem and a fix is being developed, I assume therefore that I am not alone. Quite why they couldn't have told me that before I spent over 3 hours to drop off and collect the car and before they went to the expence of replacing the mirror motor I have no idea.
Left hand doesn’t know what the right hand’s doing syndrome!

I have an issue with my sensors too. The rear passenger side corner sensor didn't warn me that I was too close to a parked vehicle while reversing in a tight parking area. Consequently I've now got a few scratches on my bumper. Got someone to test them when I was sat in the car and no warnings were given off yet when I dive down the road its like Blackpool illuminations on the screen from the sensors. I just look the other way when I walk past the scratches
Sorry to hear that - that's not good :(

Mine still not working whether I clean them, reboot and pre-condition the car etc - told I've got to wait for a software update.

Yes it is, mines £70k! sensors are ok at the moment but my drivers side mirror does not unfold when unlocking, took it in, mirror replaced, when I collected it it did exactly the same and I was told after waiting for 30 min that it was a software fault and I'd need to await a software fix to be written to be deployed at some later date, when.who knows?
Are Tesla worse than other manufactures at fixing faults? In my experience no however the build quality of the cars and the components in the first place is not as good as a lot of other premium makes, again just my experience.
Thanks for that - sorry you having so many issues. I just gave the example of Apple to them - if you bought an iPhone and the camera wasn't working, they'd fix it or give you a new one not fob you off and tell you it's a software bug and you'll have to wait. Parking sensors are a basic function of almost every car these days and to have them not working and put down to a software fault is pretty poor for such a supposedly hi-tech car.

My first drive since updating to 2021.4.15.6 from 2021.4.12.2 - something definitely seems to have changed for the worse.

Reversing off our drive, car was totally mute and not a flicker showing up in the car visualisation. I would normally expect to get a couple of bongs. Once in forward, car seemed normal, with visualisation flickers and the occasional bong when pulling up behind someone.

At other end, pulled up in a car park where no marked spaces except for some concrete sleepers on the ground forward of you. Pulling in, this seemed to be recognised. But a few minutes later, having done the drop off, reversing out, the sleeper totally invisible to the car - it could be argued that I was reversing and sleeper was forward of me, but I'm not sure it was always like that.

Return drive, all as would be expected until pulling back onto the drive. Normally there are a few bongs and the car visualisation quickly goes plan/overhead show, but this time nothing that I noticed and the car seemed to stay in plan view until pretty much stopped.

So possibly more going on that simply not working. Seemed to be a retrograde change in behaviour. Certainly not something I would rely on if reversing into a parking space.

My first drive since updating to 2021.4.15.6 from 2021.4.12.2 - something definitely seems to have changed for the worse.

Reversing off our drive, car was totally mute and not a flicker showing up in the car visualisation. I would normally expect to get a couple of bongs. Once in forward, car seemed normal, with visualisation flickers and the occasional bong when pulling up behind someone.

At other end, pulled up in a car park where no marked spaces except for some concrete sleepers on the ground forward of you. Pulling in, this seemed to be recognised. But a few minutes later, having done the drop off, reversing out, the sleeper totally invisible to the car - it could be argued that I was reversing and sleeper was forward of me, but I'm not sure it was always like that.

Return drive, all as would be expected until pulling back onto the drive. Normally there are a few bongs and the car visualisation quickly goes plan/overhead show, but this time nothing that I noticed and the car seemed to stay in plan view until pretty much stopped.

So possibly more going on that simply not working. Seemed to be a retrograde change in behaviour. Certainly not something I would rely on if reversing into a parking space.
That's not good at all. I at least get an orange warning symbol when I put it in reverse telling me Park Assist is unavailable - cameras all working fine but like you, no visual or audio warnings if I am about to hit anything.

Owning a Tesla is like getting married. Costs a fortune up front, Self driving and parking, don't work reliably and you will only ever try summon once

Fingers crossed, I'm possibly a little bit quick off the mark with my assessment. I was able to be on a couple of drives as a passenger so was able pay particular attention to parking sensor behaviour when reversing.

We had a bong when pulling off the drive - its on a slope so always get a bong as it detects the road. But nothing else which surprised me. At end of the drive, pulling back on to drive, the car went into plan/overhead view as I expected (but no bongs) so that may be just driving style on that occasion.

Whilst I am not convinced that parking sensors are not less sensitive (and certainly less likely to bong), my initial experience may be more down to a single sample set and expectation bias. I'm still going to be particularly cautious at present.