Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking assist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Parking assist technology or no, you should not be backing out of parking spaces in a parking lot. Always back *in* to the parking space....you have 100% clear lines of sight and already know if anyone or any car is moving in the area. Backup camera works fine if you can't backup on your own. When you leave, pulling out is safe and easy. This is a basic driving rule that everyone should follow. You HAVE to either back in, OR back out. So it only makes sense to do so the smart and safe way. You have to back up once to park(either on the way in or the way out) unless you pull through. So just do it the smart way and there will never ever be any issue. I don't have park assist. I didn't know it was an issue until I read all the doom and gloom on these forums. I find it comical and a bit.....dramatic. Can't we all just learn to park?
drive in, get it done, back out, pay attention.
or do it your way and make people wait while you maneuver the back end around
either way, the driver needs to pay attention, which is the gist of the thread

Parking assist technology or no, you should not be backing out of parking spaces in a parking lot. Always back *in* to the parking space....you have 100% clear lines of sight and already know if anyone or any car is moving in the area. Backup camera works fine if you can't backup on your own. When you leave, pulling out is safe and easy. This is a basic driving rule that everyone should follow. You HAVE to either back in, OR back out. So it only makes sense to do so the smart and safe way. You have to back up once to park(either on the way in or the way out) unless you pull through. So just do it the smart way and there will never ever be any issue. I don't have park assist. I didn't know it was an issue until I read all the doom and gloom on these forums. I find it comical and a bit.....dramatic. Can't we all just learn to park?
I don't know where you live, but our area has some very tight parking lots and often heavy traffic that would make "always" backing into parking spaces impractical and inconsiderate at times. Look, I've driven fire engines, semi trucks, ambulances and was a code 3 driving instructor, so I think I can handle backing a car into a parking space. With that said Tesla is still seriously behind virtually every other manufacturer in this one, specific safety feature, until they re-enable this functionality through camera-based AI. Tesla must think it is important or they wouldn't bother spending millions to add it back. I just want Tesla do what they've promised to do, but I realize that the company has a history of sometimes writing checks it can't cash.

Reactions: gnemmas
drive in, get it done, back out, pay attention.
or do it your way and make people wait while you maneuver the back end around
either way, the driver needs to pay attention, which is the gist of the thread
and why does it seem like the folks who insist on doing this do so because they're such terrible drivers to start with?

As to the logic - why back in to the narrow space rather than back out to the giant open space?

and why does it seem like the folks who insist on doing this do so because they're such terrible drivers to start with?

As to the logic - why back in to the narrow space rather than back out to the giant open space?
There is no cross traffic in the parking space. There are no pedestrians walking around in the parking space. The only thing you could possibly hit would be parked cars. So it's much safer.

It's not easier to pull in and and then back out....it takes the exact same amount of driver skill, just one way doesn't risk hitting people or moving cars while backing up blindly from between two cars that limit visibility into the parking lot, which is exactly where the moving people and cars are.

Although it wasn't your comment, backing in being inconsiderate is not a valid argument because if that were such a concern, then one should also never back out because it would be inconsiderate. You have to back up one way or the other. Might as well be smart about it.

There is no cross traffic in the parking space. There are no pedestrians walking around in the parking space. The only thing you could possibly hit would be parked cars. So it's much safer.

It's not easier to pull in and and then back out....it takes the exact same amount of driver skill, just one way doesn't risk hitting people or moving cars while backing up blindly from between two cars that limit visibility into the parking lot, which is exactly where the moving people and cars are.

Although it wasn't your comment, backing in being inconsiderate is not a valid argument because if that were such a concern, then one should also never back out because it would be inconsiderate. You have to back up one way or the other. Might as well be smart about it.
pedestrians are everywhere in a parking lot. shopping malls, grocery stores, public anything. everywhere. you still have to pay attention.
taking double the time, or more, to get parked is inconsiderate. period.
backing out into a giant hole is a lot easier than backing into a slot. and requires consideration for others to progress.

sorry, but your rationalizations are just that...rationalizations.

pedestrians are everywhere in a parking lot. shopping malls, grocery stores, public anything. everywhere. you still have to pay attention.
taking double the time, or more, to get parked is inconsiderate. period.
backing out into a giant hole is a lot easier than backing into a slot. and requires consideration for others to progress.

sorry, but your rationalizations are just that...rationalizations.
You're just being stubborn and opinionated, which is fine. Take 30 seconds to google the issue, you will see that it is commonly accepted that backing in so you can pull out is safer. It isn't faster or easier to pull in since you have to take more time to carefully and dangerously back out. Do what you want, but instead of crying about not being able to park safely without a bunch of parking assist sensors, you can, well, park safely anyways if you choose to.

Taking double the time to back out in a crowded parking lot with limited visibility while risking hitting pedestrians and/or cross traffic, or others backing out, is inconsiderate. Period. ;)

Even with fully functioning park assist/cross traffic alert etc, studies have shown that pedestrian and vehicle detection often fail, especially when parked between two large vehicles.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Pot, meet kettle.
I could provide links for you pointing you to studies that support the facts I have presented(safer, poor performance of safety crutches park assist rather than just driving safely to begin with), but I suspect facts won't matter to you. Park however you'd like.

My opinions on the matter are supported by the facts, so definitely not a pot meet kettle scenario.

Honestly, my intention was to offer a helpful suggestion that people could use to be safer. It does require changing what is likely a lifelong habit which isn't always easy. And I also realize it is often difficult to accept that the way we've always done something might not be the best or safest way, and is in fact significantly more risky. We have a tendency to defend our position rather than be open minded and accept we weren't being wise.

Last edited:
You're just being stubborn and opinionated, which is fine. Take 30 seconds to google the issue, you will see that it is commonly accepted that backing in so you can pull out is safer. It isn't faster or easier to pull in since you have to take more time to carefully and dangerously back out. Do what you want, but instead of crying about not being able to park safely without a bunch of parking assist sensors, you can, well, park safely anyways if you choose to.

Taking double the time to back out in a crowded parking lot with limited visibility while risking hitting pedestrians and/or cross traffic, or others backing out, is inconsiderate. Period. ;)

Even with fully functioning park assist/cross traffic alert etc, studies have shown that pedestrian and vehicle detection often fail, especially when parked between two large vehicles.
I agree to disagree....amicably
neither of us is going to change our opinions
which is fine; I've stated my case and you yours
all done!

Reactions: TesslaBull
Yep, my biggest concern is backing out of congested parking spaces like Costco where you are wedged in between 2 cars and can't see much except straight back. Even cameras will not see this well until cars are really close. The ultrasonics really help here. Anyway, they moved our delivery up to tomorrow, so I really hope they fix it soon.
Fwiw, try backing into the parking spot then pulling out forward. Backing accidents are far more frequent when backing out of a parking spot then backing into one.
(Please note the above statistic does not apply to my wife who, despite being one of the smartest people I know, is somehow a menace to society if she ever tries to back into a spot!)

Reactions: TesslaBull
Fwiw, try backing into the parking spot then pulling out forward. Backing accidents are far more frequent when backing out of a parking spot then backing into one.
(Please note the above statistic does not apply to my wife who, despite being one of the smartest people I know, is somehow a menace to society if she ever tries to back into a spot!)
This conversation has kind of gone off the rails. So, if I get the gist of what you're saying, the solution to Tesla removing safety equipment (USS sensors) that virtually every other manufacturer has installed for many years and still use, and disabling them on cars that still have them is to back into parking spots??? OMG, why didn't I think of that???? Seriously, even with the full set of safety suites on my Ioniq 5, I usually try to back into spaces when it is practical. The problem on the MY will arise when it isn't practical or even possible to back in due to heavy traffic or tight parking lots such as garages. The difference between backing in and backing out is that backing in virtually always requires both directions of traffic to let you complete the maneuver, whereas backing out allows you to wait for a break in the traffic to ideally not stop anyone. Unless the cars behind you give you some room, it may not be possible to get the room you need to stop, back up a little wide and into the spot. It is a much more complicated move than going straight in. And, again, backing out, you will ideally wait for a break in the traffic, so you reduce the complexity of the maneuver by having to deal with less traffic.

An analogy to your solution would be if Tesla stopped putting seat belts in their cars and your solution would be to never drive over 20 mph. Why Tesla decided to remove this important bit of safety from their cars before the camera based safety system was available, and to even disable it in cars that still had USS's is anybody's guess. If I had to guess it is probably another case of Tesla vaporware (FSD etc..), or hopefully they just misjudged how quickly they could solve this problem. I just hope they do what they've promised and put back a Vision based system soon.

With that said, after having driven the car for several hundred miles now, I think the lack of a blind spot warning is an even bigger problem, but that's for another thread I guess.

So does anyone in the thread use PA and like it?

My temptation would be if it could reliably navigate my very narrow garage door (1.5" to spare on each side with mirrors out - ~87") and stop more reliable at the right spot inside. I used a hanging plushie to mark the spot, but I often go too far. Done right, there's enough space between the garage door and the trunk, and in front there is enough room to comfortably pass towards the laundry.

Exiting is a game of see the same narrow gap between the body and the door edges on each rear mirror, which is why I normally leave it open. But the car is beeping and warning incessantly in both entries and exits.
I turned off the beeps.

Often, backing in would make access to my rear door near impossible, not good when grocery shopping.

And yet, the yahoos that insist on backing in ARE a threat to me as I walk through the parking lot. All the Fing time. You already state you agree that parking assist is inadequate, yet you still try to argue it's better to back up into a narrow space where you have compromised visibility rather than to drive in where you have your full front visibility. It's easier to confirm spacing to the cars on each side as well, vital as parking lots maximize the spaces. And on the other end, backing out into an open space where cars and pedestrians are more visible is easier to do when the more limited vision.

Reactions: sfRonH
And yet, the yahoos that insist on backing in ARE a threat to me as I walk through the parking lot. All the Fing time. You already state you agree that parking assist is inadequate, yet you still try to argue it's better to back up into a narrow space where you have compromised visibility rather than to drive in where you have your full front visibility. It's easier to confirm spacing to the cars on each side as well, vital as parking lots maximize the spaces. And on the other end, backing out into an open space where cars and pedestrians are more visible is easier to do when the more limited vision.
You aren't actually being open minded and thinking about this, just being stubborn and clinging to the less safe way you've always done things. As you approach a parking spot, you have a clear, unobstructed view of all your surroundings and can see if there are pedestrians, cars, etc, making it *very* safe to back in between two cars. The spot you are backing into, there are no cars driving around that you can't see. There are no pedestrians walking around in the parking space or crossing behind you from parked cars on either side of you. Sorry, but you are just flat out wrong about this. Seriously, instead of just stomping your foot an insisting you are right, take ten seconds to google, or use your brain and actually think about things. And it isn't faster, easier. Unless you pull through, which is the best and safest way to park(don't have to back in or out), you have to back up once to park. Either safely into a spot, or dangerously out of the spot with worse visibility due to cars on either side of you, where you have to deal with auto and pedestrian cross traffic that you may not be able to see....hence why you and others are so enraged about USS/cross traffic alert not working. You rely on technology to make up for your unsafe driving habits. Better to drive in a safer manner to begin with, then be even safer with artificial assistance when/if it ever is restored.

https://www.automotive-fleet.com/132822/aaa-warns-against-pull-forward-parking

Status
Not open for further replies.