Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking at airport for 10 days...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Parking for airport for 10 days with no airport charging. I have read several different threads on how to conserve battery while it sleeps however I was not able to find all items suggested.

The following is what I have done.

Autopilot
Standby Mode OFF

Safety & Security
Sentry Mode OFF
Cabin Overheat Protection OFF

I will also minimize Tesla APP checking and I do not have any third party apps.
There was a suggestion for turning DATA SHARING OFF but the amount of battery usage of this option seems to be in question.

Things I was not able to find was:
Power Management Energy Savings ON and Always Connected UNCHECKED
Also is "Smart Preconditioning" the same as "Cabin Over heat Protection"?

Let me know what battery drain I can expect under those conditions.
Average expected temperature this week seems to be 77° F

Parking for airport for 10 days with no airport charging. I have read several different threads on how to conserve battery while it sleeps however I was not able to find all items suggested.

The following is what I have done.

Autopilot
Standby Mode OFF

Safety & Security
Sentry Mode OFF
Cabin Overheat Protection OFF

I will also minimize Tesla APP checking and I do not have any third party apps.
There was a suggestion for turning DATA SHARING OFF but the amount of battery usage of this option seems to be in question.

Things I was not able to find was:
Power Management Energy Savings ON and Always Connected UNCHECKED
Also is "Smart Preconditioning" the same as "Cabin Over heat Protection"?

I dont think we have those bottom two settings on a model 3. I could be mistaken on that but have never seen them.

As long as you dont check your tesla account more than once a day or so, you should expect somewhere between 2-5 miles range lost per day. So, 10 days, 5 miles a day 50 miles range, roughly. When I did fly (back when that was something we all did regularly... heh), I would charge to full (100%) drive to the airport (which is 40 ish miles from me) and park.

Where I am, however, some of the parking companies around the airport now have tesla destination chargers they offer for free. Its something to check for, anyway.

you should expect somewhere between 2-5 miles range lost per day
Those are some old school phantom drain numbers.

Last year under quarantine I routinely saw 1% loss about every 6 days, which is ~0.5 miles range lost per day. (Oh, and this was monitored with TeslaFi, which doesn't actually draw any more energy when the car is in sleep mode.)

With everything turned off, for 10 days, I'd expect about 2% loss in my '18 LR.

• Disagree
Reactions: jaqueh
Those are some old school phantom drain numbers.

This summer on quarantine I routinely saw 1% loss about every 6 days, which is ~0.5 miles range lost per day. (Oh, and this was monitored with TeslaFi, which doesn't actually draw any more energy when the car is in sleep mode.)

With everything turned off, for 10 days, I'd expect about 2% loss in my '18 LR.

Shrug... I havent traveled via air in quite some time (and have no plans to resume in the near future), but even sitting at my house, my car loses 2-3 miles a day, while plugged into my wall connector. I typically charge to 90% when I get back from driving around, the few times I go somewhere these days, then slide the charge meter down a couple clicks so the car slowly loses range as it drops to the charge level I set after I charge.

I lose 2-3 miles a day, with no sentry mode, no 3rd party monitoring, no waking the car up to check it at all, no standby summon, no cabin overheat protection etc.

I am not arguing with you at all, just going from my own experience with my own car.

Last year under quarantine I routinely saw 1% loss about every 6 days, which is ~0.5 miles range lost per day. (Oh, and this was monitored with TeslaFi, which doesn't actually draw any more energy when the car is in sleep mode.)

Be careful about using percentage suggestions .. that will be different based on battery size and model (mileage also varies a bit, but by much less).

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H

If nothing is wrong with your car, then you should be fine. The car goes into sleep mode and stops using power except to allow to be woken up. I saw 1% drop in 1 week, but there was a 5% drop on the fist day before it actually went into sleep mode.

Personally, I would monitor the car, just infrequently. Once after 24 hours, then after 3 days, etc.

There are people whose cars are malfunctioning and refuse to go into sleep mode. They get a lot of visibility on these forums because there is usually no fix for their issue.

Reactions: Zoomit
There are people whose cars are malfunctioning and refuse to go into sleep mode. They get a lot of visibility on these forums because there is usually no fix for their issue.
My car recently got a case of insomnia. I tried just about every trick I knew, but couldn't get it to go into sleep mode. It was losing 4% per day (12 rated miles) for over a week. When I updated to the latest software (from 2020.48.30 to 2020.48.35.5), it resolved itself and now sleeps as expected.

Reactions: user212_nr
How can you tell if and when the car actually goes to sleep?
If you check on it with the app does that not wake it if it was sleeping?

The tesla app wakes it up, yes. Some third party apps use algorithms to check on the state of the car without waking it up. How good they do that, and how well they let the car sleep, varies.

How can you tell if and when the car actually goes to sleep?
If you check on it with the app does that not wake it if it was sleeping?

You can tell that the car has gone to sleep because it is not loosing 5% per day in range... that's what it would be like if it didn't sleep.

Another way to tell is that it takes longer (assuming good cell connection) to bring up the app status screen the longer it has been asleep. If it is awake then it responds right away.

If you wake the car from sleep just to check on it, then it goes back to sleep very quickly if you did not interact with it.

Well my trip was cut short from 10 days to 6 days. Extremely surprise by my battery level after returning.
Left the car in a covered parking lot average temp 74°F on 24JAN 8:00 AM - Battery Level 80%.
Picked up the car 30JAN 5:45 PM - Battery Level 76%.

That is substantially better than what I have anticipated.
Thanks for all the tips, seem to have worked!

Last edited:
Well my trip was cut short from 10 days to 6 days. Extremely surprise by my battery level after returning.
Left the car in a covered parking lot average temp 74°F on 24JAN 8:00 AM - Battery Level 80%.
Picked up the car 30JAN 5:45 PM - Battery Level 76%.

That is substantially better than what I have anticipated.
Thanks for all the tips, seem to have worked!
Always good to see people return to their thread, to report findings. ;)