TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Parking at Los Angelos Union Station

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by Treetop235, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Treetop235

Treetop235 Member

Has anyone used the chargers at Union Station in Los Angelos....
    If so, what type, and what was cost?

I’m flying out of country in a few months and looking for parking where I can stay plugged in.
    Thanks,

2. hugh_jassol

hugh_jassol Member

Where is Los Angelos?

...but seriously... How long will you be gone?

3. Treetop235

Treetop235 Member

gone 7 days. Yes I can shut everything down.. but i would rather keep sentry working etc.

4. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Union Station not safe IMO. Use one of the parking venues at LAX and don't worry.

• Disagree x 1
  5. Treetop235

Treetop235 Member

I also hear LAX has EV parking now. So just wondering about that. I may just driver over one weekend and go see. That may be best.

6. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

The C Lot has about 40 spaces next to the bus terminal. I have found them to be mostly full and got a spot about 50% of the time. for 7 days you should be able to park without issue.

7. Treetop235

Treetop235 Member

Do you remember what type? Did you use the normal adapter that comes with Tesla? Or did you need any special adapters?

8. earthwormjim

earthwormjim Member

The flyaway parking structures have EV parking, and are safe. They have J1772 chargers (208Vac).

I use the Van Nuys one all the time, 8/8 times I've been able to get an EV charging spot.

9. Treetop235

Treetop235 Member

You use Van Nuys what? what parking lot? I see the Flyaway bus goes to Van Nuys, but where does the bus go? And where do you park?
    I have taken flyaway in the past to Union Station when using Metrolink. So I have seen the bus. But where does it go? And where do you park?

10. Treetop235

Treetop235 Member

So I tried a filter for EV vehicles in my Best Parking app. And found the parking below. They will charge my car the day I return for an extra charge. Basically they move the car to the charge location and charge it.
    Cheap Airport Parking Lax : Discount Lax Parking : TheParkingSpace Rates : TheParkingSpace : LAX Park Place
    I can pay for secure covered parking via valet. So I may go with this. It's near LAX 30 minutes if I walk, which I won't.. lol. But should work out good. If the car gets low on power, which it shouldn't I can always call and have them do an intern charge.

So problem solved... or at least one possible solution. I will probably look at other options also. Including an actual EV Parking spot at LAX.
    The one above is about $100.00 for 7 days.

11. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Normal J1772 connectors

12. earthwormjim

earthwormjim Member

The Van Nuys Flyaway. It's a big bus terminal, with a huge parking structure on the same property. Parking is around $5 a day now. Bus tickets to LAX are less than $10. Union Station and Van Nuys have buses at least every 30 minutes or less. Van Nuys has around 10 EV spots. I've never been to Union Station, but I'm sure its similar.

Union Station Flyway has parking too, it's $8 a day. I think its shared with the Metrolink parking.

Most of the Flyaway stations have large parking structures at the bus terminal.

Flyway is like the best kept secret about getting to LAX. The parking is cheap, the stations are well located, the buses are cheap. I often use Flyaway to get close to my house, then Uber from the Flyaway terminal. Much faster and cheaper than waiting at the new ride hailing station at LAX.

https://www.flylax.com/-/media/flylax/pdfs/flyaway/flyaway-brochure.ashx

13. skierrob

skierrob Member

The underground parking lot at Union Station is VERY safe. They have multiple J1772 charging stations in Gateway Plaza parking. Parking is $8 max per 24 hours. Charging rate is $1 per hour with a max of $3 per PlugShare. Charging stations are on level P2-D. There are more chargers at P2-H. Uses EV-Connect.

14. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

I guess this area has improved. My memories of this area are from 30 years ago.

15. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Didn't they close Lot C for some construction? Not sure if it is open yet.

16. skierrob

skierrob Member

• Informative x 1
  17. Lifeinabox

Lifeinabox Member

Lol @ posting an opinion based on 30 year old impressions.

• Like x 1