Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking at Tesla stores?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in my MX at a local mall and saw a couple Tesla spots open so I parked in one. The spots are labeled "Tesla parking only". There was a Tesla employee getting back from a test drive so I asked him if it was ok to park there. He basically said no in a rude way and instead of making a scene I decided to find another spot.

At another local mall, I was told it is ok to park in the Tesla spots. Just curious what your experiences have been - is it ok to park in the Tesla spots at a mall or not? I think what upset me was his tone and also in front of a potential customer.

Thank you for your feedback!

I was in my MX at a local mall and saw a couple Tesla spots open so I parked in one. The spots are labeled "Tesla parking only". There was a Tesla employee getting back from a test drive so I asked him if it was ok to park there. He basically said no in a rude way and instead of making a scene I decided to find another spot.

At another local mall, I was told it is ok to park in the Tesla spots. Just curious what your experiences have been - is it ok to park in the Tesla spots at a mall or not? I think what upset me was his tone and also in front of a potential customer.

Thank you for your feedback!

Nowadays, Tesla parking spots at a mall normally mean for the "store" and not for its customers.

Years ago, it was OK for customers. (specifically Century City, Newport Fashion Island) (whereas Brea was always for store use only, and not customers).

If you're driving a Roadster, some of these locations will let you charge (in an emergency, but that's also because we have no access to Superchargers).

Tesla only area is equipped with chargers, so they can keep the demo cars charged up, and show potential customers how they plug in.

When there were very few Tesla charging options, the stores often let owners charge there while shopping, however it was abused, and owners tended to tie up the few parking spots.

Stores changed their open policy when there became thousands of cars, but few chargers.

Now you need to park in regular slots, and that VIP condition is no longer possible.

I bet the employees really hate it when they bring a potential customer back from a test ride, and find all the stalls taken up by owners.

Reactions: Super_Popular
Fashion Island (which has a gallery) has a Tesla-branded row of charge-capable spaces filled with their demo cars. I wouldn't think of parking in those.

South Coast Plaza (which has no gallery*) has a row of EV L2-equipped spaces with a dedicated Tesla space and HPWC at the end. I would absolutely park in that end space as it's a fairly protected space. Unless there was a similarly protected space somewhere. I don't mind walking. I should say I mind walking a whole lot less than I would mind a door or fender ding.

In general, malls are Bad (South Park voice) and should be avoided like the plague. But that's another matter entirely.

* I can't remember if SCP has a Nordstrom, in which case there may be a micro-gallery coming soon thereto. However, I don't believe those Nordstrom micro-galleries will facilitate test drives. So no dedicated branded parking being the point.

Fashion Island (which has a gallery) has a Tesla-branded row of charge-capable spaces filled with their demo cars. I wouldn't think of parking in those.

South Coast Plaza (which has no gallery*) has a row of EV L2-equipped spaces with a dedicated Tesla space and HPWC at the end. I would absolutely park in that end space as it's a fairly protected space. Unless there was a similarly protected space somewhere. I don't mind walking. I should say I mind walking a whole lot less than I would mind a door or fender ding.

In general, malls are Bad (South Park voice) and should be avoided like the plague. But that's another matter entirely.

* I can't remember if SCP has a Nordstrom, in which case there may be a micro-gallery coming soon thereto. However, I don't believe those Nordstrom micro-galleries will facilitate test drives. So no dedicated branded parking being the point.

Yup. That South Coast Plaza parking spot is for customers...

It shows up as a DESTINATION CHARGER on the Navigation... 40A

IMG_0778.JPG by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

IMG_0779.JPG by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

Got 22 miles per hour at 40A.

At the mall in Indianapolis, I asked the salesperson if I could charge in their spots - they have like 6. He said no problem. When I went to park, they were all taken. I used a chademo instead - faster anyway but cost a few bucks.

Reactions: CraneKick
as evidenced by the comments made all tesla stores, like service centers, are not created or operated equally.
at my local store there are chargers and they are very open to people using them to charge.
however those chargers cannot be depended on to be available since most of the spots are occupied by demos and the chargers may not always be accessible.

Reactions: CraneKick