Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

parking brake fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks,

My 2015 MS just had this message pop up recently: Parking brake not release, and on the notification it says parking brake fault. It goes away sometimes, usually shows up when I start the car, if I park and start again it might go away. I'm wondering if anyone had the same problem and what was the solution? I set up an appointment with SC and they quoted me $1800 to replace the calipers, I don't know if that's really worth it since the message only showed up a few times. any thoughts on this? Thank you!

Yes, exactly the same happened to me. I bought a new caliper + motor from ebay and replaced it (a 30 mins job). Working flawlessly since months.

In my case, the motor developed an intermittent fault. IMHO either you fix it yourself o go to service to have it fixed. It will get you stranded if it does not release.

Thank you for your input, I guess I have no choice but taking it into the SC to get it fixed since I won't be able to do it myself. The cost is crazy if it's just a 30 minutes job as your mentioned, I don't think the parts cost nearly as much..

$1800 is a lot; maybe get the parts and find a mechanic to do the work for you.

Yes it is, I feel like I'm being ripped off here, I don't know if they quoted me 1800 for 4 wheels or just one since they don't know how many calipers need to be replaced. The problem is I don't know which caliper has the problem and I don't know any mechanic here can fix this in Vancouver ..

This just happened to me as well. Yesterday I had the warning when I started the car (aka put it in drive). It said “Parking break will not release. Brakes will be damaged if you drive” (or something to that effect). I backed and drove it a bit in the driveway, parked and unpacked, and the warning disappeared. It was fine all day.

The next day, the same thing happened. Only this time I could tell the break would not release no matter what I tried. When I would put it back in park, it said “Parking brake will not engage. Be careful” (or something like that).

So which is it?!

Obviously the parking break is now frozen. WD40 on the callipers?

I’m kidding.

The nearest Tesla Store is 150 kms and a ferry ride away, so I may see if the rover can help (and at what cost). I’m partial to trying to fix it myself, as then I’ll understand the system better.

I may be back on this chat to ask any questions I might have on the parts, and this was a good thread to understand that this does happen and what the options might be.

Thanks
2014 S 85

My parking brake locked up yesterday, so I assume it is a failed caliper. At my age and where I live, unfortunately I cannot tackle the procedure in the video. But it is good to know about. i think I will have AAA put it on a flatbed when the time comes for my SC appointment. I might be able to drive it to the SC, it is only 2 or 3 miles, but I would be afraid to overheat and warp the disc.

My parking brake locked up yesterday, so I assume it is a failed caliper. At my age and where I live, unfortunately I cannot tackle the procedure in the video. But it is good to know about. i think I will have AAA put it on a flatbed when the time comes for my SC appointment. I might be able to drive it to the SC, it is only 2 or 3 miles, but I would be afraid to overheat and warp the disc.

You could also try to hit the parking brake actuators gently with a not to heavy object like a very small hammer or try a few times to put it in drive.

A friend of mine his parking brake released after 20 minutes of trying. Once it 'releases' you can drive without a problem until you put the car in park.

Good Luck

• Helpful
Reactions: David29
Like the rest of the folks here I have come to the same situation. I had the error appearing once in a while and wiggling with gearstick managed me to get on my drives. Until the caliper came to a seizure and you just are not able to move it without any help or by the solution given on the video. One tip on the trick on video, if you remove the motor of caliper then there is rubber O-ring seal (seen on the photo), you do not want to loose it... I managed to get used one from ebay and eventually the other side came from SeC. On the photos are new and mine (RH) side-by-side. You can see how much the pins are corroded and covered by the road dust. I believe the caliper and the motor are all fine as if the pads are not moving (the motor has inner sensors to tell the car if it’s released) then you will get the alert. I did mounted the used caliper back on, obviously cleaned all up before the job. Will see how long this will last. The motor engaged after three-four times of getting the car to P.
One suggestion to all, if you do not want to shuffle 1,8 grand to Tesla for the new set then clean the pins and the pads ANNUALLY.
43E61AD9-014C-44B9-8B29-18C6032F3BB7.jpeg
6129874C-F1CB-4694-82BC-4084D588E1E7.jpeg
726DBDDA-02ED-4E91-AC65-4E910FB13ACA.jpeg
B3B24B78-BF0A-494A-A12A-64320F3D350F.jpeg

Last edited:
Has anyone been successful getting Tesla to apply this problem to the recall? There was a recall in 2017 for this exact issue - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2017/RCLRPT-17V260-5503.PDF
Interesting! I was not aware of that recall and it does not apply to my 2015, but I did have parking brake failure on at least one brake and got the exact messages quoted in the recall notice. Tesla ended up replacing both brake calipers for me.

Reactions: max amp
Interesting! I was not aware of that recall and it does not apply to my 2015, but I did have parking brake failure on at least one brake and got the exact messages quoted in the recall notice. Tesla ended up replacing both brake calipers for me.

Thanks for the response. Were you under warranty for the brake replacement?

Also, when you said "it does not apply to my 2015," that's what I thought originally based upon Tesla's own recall notice. However, the updated notice says Tesla Model S vehicles between 2012 - 2016.

The recall report says, "Descriptive Information: Select model year 2012-2016 Tesla Model S electric vehicles Production Dates : JUL 12, 2012 - NOV 17, 2016"

I have a 2015 85D with this exact issue along with a service appointment on the 16th. Of course, I'd like it if Tesla fixed this under the recall.

I have an inquiry into NHTSA to see what their take is on it.

• Informative
It’s interesting, I have this recall performed on my car so been eligible. I specifically asked about this when I purchased it second hand and the service replied then it’s been done. Now, as evidence on the photos (look for the imprint on the caliper) it still is the same date it came off the factory line - my car is 2016 but majority of the stickers on arbitrary parts indicate the production been started late on 2015. If the recall would been completed at 2017 then the engraving imprint would indicate a year ‘17, would it? If you read the recall document then you will see that Tesla and Brembo came out with an upgraded caliper that was replaced with the recall. On the photos you can see that my original caliper still has the engraving from ‘15 (my new purchase caliper next to it has year ‘21 on it)!

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. Were you under warranty for the brake replacement?

Also, when you said "it does not apply to my 2015," that's what I thought originally based upon Tesla's own recall notice. However, the updated notice says Tesla Model S vehicles between 2012 - 2016.

The recall report says, "Descriptive Information: Select model year 2012-2016 Tesla Model S electric vehicles Production Dates : JUL 12, 2012 - NOV 17, 2016"

I have a 2015 85D with this exact issue along with a service appointment on the 16th. Of course, I'd like it if Tesla fixed this under the recall.

I have an inquiry into NHTSA to see what their take is on it.
Interesting! I have an Extended Service Plan, so I paid the $200 deductible for the replacement of the two brake calipers. I wonder if I should try to get that money back??!

$1260 to replace the two rear parking break calipers. I was able to get my parking break to release after it stuck by shifting from Drive to reverse to park several times. Parts are $500 for each parking brake caliper with 260 ish for labor. My 2014 just went out of the extended warranty. Just my luck.

• Informative
I would, I was just too late to realise that it was actually not performed on my car and I had to pay. Luckily only for one side. There are cast numbers stating the date the calipers have been manufactured on them, but yours are already changed. All calipers manufactured before 2017 are involved. I would stand on the ground and insist that this is their fault and they should pay for it. This is the recall insisting them to do!

I had this same error. Mine has been in the shop for about 2 weeks now waiting on diagnosis. I happened to ask them about this and they told me the recall for mine was done back in 2019. This is really odd though that it happened again. The longer this waits the more I find weird stuff about this issue though