Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Parking brake functions degraded" - ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So yesterday morning I was greeted with this mysterious message, pictured below. It went away as soon as I put the car in R to back out of my driveway. Didn't get too concerned, as everything seems to work normally. It came back this morning, and also later in the day after being parked for a while. So I've scheduled a service appointment.

Searching for this on google turned up nothing - has anyone else gotten this one before?

IMG_9817.jpg

There was something from Tesla not all that long ago as I recall about parking brakes not holding or something to that effect. Thought it was under their news and also covered in the Tesla publications. Thinking Maybe it could be related to your message. If I find the link I’ll come back and add it.

You should call Tesla’s support line and let them know you got this message. They should be able to check out the logs remotely and see if there’s anything that is cause for concern.

No, hardly ever. But I do use it on rare occasions.

Next time you push the selector level in (Park) listen for the sound of the rear disk brake pistons moving (or not if sometime is wrong) - that is 'the parking brake'. As others said, pushing the brake thing doesn't do something different - also, wasn't that removed in a newer update?

Edit: it's the sound of the electric motors moving the pistons in, to be technically correct.

Next time you push the selector level in (Park) listen for the sound of the rear disk brake pistons moving (or not if sometime is wrong) - that is 'the parking brake'. As others said, pushing the brake thing doesn't do something different - also, wasn't that removed in a newer update?

Edit: it's the sound of the electric motors moving the pistons in, to be technically correct.
Yes, I get the 2 different sounds. And it all still seems to be working. It may just be a sensor problem or something. I have a service appointment set up for it in a few days anyway.

Ack - last night I started getting the dreaded "12v battery requires service" notice. And this morning, the car is dead in my garage. Will need to be towed, or get visited by a mobile tech. Yuck. Don't know if this is related to my previous issue.

I just got my car back from service center. They said it's a hardware issue related to communications but they are still working on a fix. Mine seems to happen only after charging overnight and then I try to summon it out of the garage the next day.
It might be HW3 specific.