Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Parking brake functions degraded" - ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The parking brakes are activated when you switch to Park with a quick press of the button at the end of the stalk.
The "emergency brakes" are activated when you long press the button at the end of the stalk.

Both just clamp the rear brakes (or separate parking calipers on some older S/X's). You can hear the motors whir when either is activated. I have not seen any differences in how the brakes are applied in either mode. But you can only activate the "parking brakes" when moving into Park. The "emergency brakes" can be used at any time, including at freeway speeds. You can activate the "emergency brakes" while already in Park. You should still hear some motor whir, but whether that adds any holding power to the brakes on top already being in Park or not I don't know.

Reactions: groovidad
Guys - I am having the same issue. Took it to a service center. They replaced the caliper but same error code is showing up... The Tea service center does not know what to do!! Can you believe it?? How did this get fixed on your Tesla? Please share.

You use it automatically every time you put the car in Park. It is the only thing that keeps the car from rolling away since it does not have the mechanicals of an ICE.
But there is a difference between a short press and a long press of the park button. Been a bit of discussion about this but no definitive answer as to what is going on. The closest I've seen is one user here says when his car is hooked up to his trailer on a hill, the long press will hold it but the short press will not.

But there is a difference between a short press and a long press of the park button. Been a bit of discussion about this but no definitive answer as to what is going on. The closest I've seen is one user here says when his car is hooked up to his trailer on a hill, the long press will hold it but the short press will not.
The only difference is that a long press applies it a little harder.

Reactions: rpiotro