Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Parking Brake Needs Service"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AE3795E0-AEF3-43BD-8F46-D0A1E6CA626D.jpeg A5A1920A-E1B1-4203-8CF3-8AC054CADB8A.jpeg
Let's hope the fix is available. My Friday afternoon ended with a trip to Tesla for the same problem. My vehicle was picked up at the end of September. Am on 40.1.

• Informative
Reactions: Electricfan
I'm picking it up today, they said that this is the permanent fix and it's the software version 2017.40.5. Lets see what happens.

Called my service center and they didn't really give me a clear answer on the firmware that fixes this issue. They claimed that they still don't have an update that fixes this issue for sure.

@berkangunel let us know how it goes & if 40.5 is indeed a permanent fix.

So here's the (disappointing) update: I picked it up with version 2017.42 was just driving back to the city from Brooklyn and 10 mins into the drive, I got a "Air Suspension Needs Service" message. Called the service and they asked me to come back. Left the car and picked up the loaner I had for 1 week. It seemed like they knew about this for 2017.42 update but not positive about that. Regardless, I had the car for 20 mins or so.

I stopped by the SC to get an update and was quoted 4-5 days before I could get it back. They gave me a loaner. Gotta say, having only driven the car for roughly 13 days before this issue, it has me questioning the purchase decision. I love the car, but when you drop this kind of $ on a vehicle you shouldn't have serious issues such as this so soon. Do I need to own a 2nd vehicle as a back up...?

I stopped by the SC to get an update and was quoted 4-5 days before I could get it back. They gave me a loaner. Gotta say, having only driven the car for roughly 13 days before this issue, it has me questioning the purchase decision. I love the car, but when you drop this kind of $ on a vehicle you shouldn't have serious issues such as this so soon. Do I need to own a 2nd vehicle as a back up...?

I'm hoping they work through these kinks & hopefully it'll be smooth sailing going forward. I agree with you that when you spend this much on a car, you'd expect a higher level of quality assurance and build quality. I'm still driving the loaner while we're waiting for the software update, but now in the back of my mind I can't help but think what'll happen on my next road trip - will the car break down again and I'll have to get it towed back home? Shame because it is such a great piece of technology otherwise.

What a waste.

Called roadside assistance. They said to hang tight, that a ticket was submitted to engineering and a software patch may be sent to the car. 5 hours later, told by a different employee that engineering doesn't work on Sundays. I was forced to get a rental car to get a travel guest home. Car is still sitting 170 miles away and will be towed tomorrow to Philly. They will then arrange for it to be brought to my local center. Not doing me any good since I will be away for work and now won't have a car once I get back.

I'm going to look into filing a lemon law claim. Seems to qualify.

Quick update. I'm still on 2017.40.5 and have not had any parking brake issues. I did have the 2017.42 updating pending and I schedule it to update overnight, but the next morning it disappeared and did not install. TelsaFi just notified me that it's seen 2017.42.1, but at this point I'm going to hold off as long as possible on installing updates which is a shame that my level of confidence has fallen.

@haferc sorry to hear about the terrible situations you've been caught in.

17.42.1 is to fix the issue with 17.42... we assume it has all the fixes along the way (Steering, SAS, Parking Brake). Do the release notes have anything in them besides the Mirror/AEB content that 17.42 had?

If you have 17.42.1 coming, I'd install it. Waiting won't do any good.