Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Parking Brake Needs Service"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fell victim of "Parking Brake Needs Service" yesterday with my Model X 75D VIN 648xx, with 2700km on it and about 4 weeks old. The firmware was 2017.36 1b27c6d.

Tesla handled it well. Issue was identified by myself at 7:30am, email to Tesla Calgary service center at 8:00am, respond by 9am, diagnosis by 10am (fixable at service center only, unable to drive), tow truck dispatched at 11:00am, rental car ready and MX loaded up by 1:00pm. Note, all covered by warranty including the towing from Saskatoon to Calgary (7 hour drive) and return (no superchargers). The tow truck had to use skates and a winch to get the vehicle on the flat bed, as we couldn't get it into neutral with the parking brake issue. Removing the 12V red battery lead and landed it back seemed have caused more service errors than a temporary fix.

It is a blessing in disguise I figure, as I had some other minor service issues that were waiting on a mobile tech to get to Saskatoon from Calgary - Tesla Service had previously indicated this was on the timescale of weeks/months. By this parking issue happening, I was able to get my car to the service center ASAP and they should be able to fix it all and ship it back to me. Not cheap for Tesla!

I am anticipating (hoping) they will be updating my firmware to 2017.42.1 and fixing all issues including no audio transmitting on bluetooth calls, folding mirrors not working after xmas show, loose panel in the frunk, door sensor issue, and updates failing.

I've had this parking brake problem on my new MX 100D with ~1000 miles on it. Running firmware 2017.40.1. I'm unable to update the firmware further as I've had multiple failed firmware updates. The Ranger who came out to my house reset the car by disconnecting all power which seems to have temporarily fixed the problem and I'm now able to drive it. I'm still not sure why I can't update the firmware and even when the Ranger was hard wired into the car, he was unable to update the firmware.

Kinda scary that a firmware problem could render the car inoperable.

FWIW I’m on version 2017.44 and just saw this message for the first time tonight while driving home at 60mph. Went away when I came to a stop and hasn’t come back.

Hopefully I’ll be able to move it in the morning...

I took delivery of my brand new Model S on September 22nd. Five days later on the 26th, I walked to my car after work and found it displayed the following error, "Parking Brake Needs Service Car May Be Free Rolling." The car had 68 miles.

After a week in the shop, I was told the issue was resolved. The culprit, I was assured, was a faulty 12V battery (DCS33-UNCR, MS (10837740-00-A)) and post, both of which were replaced.

Fast forward to this morning. I go to drive my daughter to school and find the same error on my dash. Once again, the car will not shift out of park and will not free roll even in tow mode. The car now has 219 miles.

Two things: 1) this is obviously a known issue (https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/parking-brake-needs-service); and 2) I'm not sure I trust taking my car anywhere now knowing I could end up being stranded. My old Honda is a better option for me at this point.

Anyone else having this issue? Anyone have any luck getting it fixed? If so, how?

I have already submitted this for executive review (twice) so hopefully they can fix the issue ASAP.

I had the same problem about one week after delivery and they towed my car back to the SC. My car is currently back at the SC and has been for the past week due to the AC intermittently blowing warm air. It's my 10th issue in the last month of ownership.

I've had this parking brake problem on my new MX 100D with ~1000 miles on it. Running firmware 2017.40.1. I'm unable to update the firmware further as I've had multiple failed firmware updates. The Ranger who came out to my house reset the car by disconnecting all power which seems to have temporarily fixed the problem and I'm now able to drive it. I'm still not sure why I can't update the firmware and even when the Ranger was hard wired into the car, he was unable to update the firmware.

Kinda scary that a firmware problem could render the car inoperable.

A service technician told me that a firmware update will fail if there is a pending fault condition... i.e. parking brake needs service warning.