Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking Brake Safety Recall Notice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After it rains and I switch to drive I always hear a clunk. Not sure if it's the brakes or my garage floor, my other 3 cars don't do that
I've noticed that with other cars, rain and snow. I believe the reason is that when you park the car a specific way, it does that when releasing the next time you drive. It usually is when you're parking the car and immediately once parked, engage the vehicle into park and turn off the car. Sometimes when you park and then slowly release the brake petal, the vehicle moves slightly and that small shift is the change the next morning. Not sure if that's right, that's literally the same response from every car maker I've had.

It's not an "emergency" brake, rather called the "electric parking brakes", and you use it every time you put the car into Park.:)
So, lol, this sorta is on a par with the '110 Volts' discussion. 'Back in the day', it was 110 volts in the USA (and 220). It's been 120/240 for virtually a century. But people have things handed down from parents/grandparents and don't change how they talk.

The same is true of 'emergency' brake. Back in the day, it was called that, since when your transmission fell out on the ground, and your beat up cowhide drum brakes caught on fire, you had the never-used emergency brake. (Talking 1920-30 perhaps here and only 5% joking here...). My dad's Lancia sedan had this long ratchet lever he pulled to set the parking/emergency brake under the dash. Later cars had the usual 'pull up from the floor' between the seats brake.

Now, for Teslas, we have the 'automatic parking brake', which I love, as it combines the old 'put automatic transmission in Park' and 'apply parking brake' at the same time with one button push (or none, if you leave it in Brake Hold for too long!).

• Funny
Reactions: XHokie
Well I never got this e-mail but my X must have been on the list as in kid car line, the emergency break seized up and I could barely move. Thank goodness it did it somewhere I wouldn't hurt anyone/anything. Was able to move it to a parking spot, called Tesla service, they arrived 1.5 hours later and by the end of the day had it fixed. Delivered back to my house the next day. So sucks it happened but they handled it quick and with high service...

Well I never got this e-mail but my X must have been on the list as in kid car line, the emergency break seized up and I could barely move. Thank goodness it did it somewhere I wouldn't hurt anyone/anything. Was able to move it to a parking spot, called Tesla service, they arrived 1.5 hours later and by the end of the day had it fixed. Delivered back to my house the next day. So sucks it happened but they handled it quick and with high service...
The replacement is supposed to take 45 minutes to complete. The delivery of my CPO Model X was delayed for about 4 weeks because of this recall. I was been pretty aggravated about it, but hearing that the failure has actually happened to someone makes me feel a little happier that the work has been done on my mine.

Reactions: jrichey
After it rains and I switch to drive I always hear a clunk. Not sure if it's the brakes or my garage floor, my other 3 cars don't do that
I park outside and my brakes always make a grinding sound when I first take the X out for a drive after rain or snow. It goes away after a mile or so but very noticeable for the 1st few hundred feet. Anyone else notice this and is this normal or do I need to get this checked out?

I notice after it rains my X makes a loud thumping sound when shifting to drive after leaving it parked for sometime
Yup I get that too, mon capitaine. Mine has an extra noise when it's been parked overnight in the rain or snow when braking for the 1st few hundred feet. A grinding type noise. Goes away after a while. Wondering if it's dust, water or salt collecting on the rotors that is then scrubbed off by the brake pads... but noise is pretty loud.

Sorry to revive this post, but I just got my parking brakes replaced. I received the email in April and Telsa Cleveland called yesterday to setup a ranger appointment for today. Although it was raining a little, the mobile service Ranger swapped out both parking brake calipers in about an hour and took a look at some other minor issues I mentioned. He performed the service in my work parking lot and was very courteous. Interesting note: my work (OEM parts supplier for the big 3) has two Tesla vehicles for testing/R&D. They're not in obvious places and usually under wraps, but the Ranger located them. I wonder if they use the vehicle location data to find their target service vehicle for service calls.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Mine were swapped out in my driveway a few weeks back. Ranger service is outstanding!

If the Ranger was there to do the calipers on your company vehicles, it's probable Tesla had contacted whoever is responsible for them at the company ahead of time and they told him where the cars were.

When they came out to my house they verified my address ahead of time over the phone. We even went around a bit with the street name because it's a confusing name. A lot of people think it's a mistake until I explain why the street is called what it is.

Mine were swapped out in my driveway a few weeks back. Ranger service is outstanding!

If the Ranger was there to do the calipers on your company vehicles, it's probable Tesla had contacted whoever is responsible for them at the company ahead of time and they told him where the cars were.

When they came out to my house they verified my address ahead of time over the phone. We even went around a bit with the street name because it's a confusing name. A lot of people think it's a mistake until I explain why the street is called what it is.
Minnehaha?

It's possible on one of the vehicles, but the other is an older model S that didn't suffer from the EPB condition. That Model S also has explicit instructions to not update software. I'm not sure about the purpose of the other Tesla vehicle.

I am reviving this post since I have had no communications on this from Tesla since my annual service back in July. At that time they did this:

Has anyone received the new gear yet?

I had mine done 2 weeks ago. Parts are supposed to be more readily available but communication is lacking.

Call or email your service center and ask them if they can schedule you for this. That's your best bet.

I had mine done 2 weeks ago. Parts are supposed to be more readily available but communication is lacking.

Call or email your service center and ask them if they can schedule you for this. That's your best bet.
Exactly what I would have written, except mine was done a week ago.

Actually I was contacted via e-mail by Mobile Service to come do the work, but I don't have a paved area for them to work, so I kept putting it off. Then the uncorking for the MS75D came along, and suddenly my priority to get the car into the Service Center went up. :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: aesculus
Exactly what I would have written, except mine was done a week ago.

Actually I was contacted via e-mail by Mobile Service to come do the work, but I don't have a paved area for them to work, so I kept putting it off. Then the uncorking for the MS75D came along, and suddenly my priority to get the car into the Service Center went up. :cool:

Did mine together with the uncorking too :cool: