Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking Brake Safety Recall Notice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

outie

May 22, 2016
SoCal
Just got this email this morning:
Tesla recently discovered a potential manufacturing issue with the electric parking brakes installed on certain Model S and Model X vehicles that could prevent the parking brake from releasing. We do not believe this issue could ever lead to a safety concern for our customers, and we have not seen a single accident or injury relating to it. However, in order to be overly cautious, we are going to be proactively replacing these parts to ensure that no issues arise.

Specifically, we have determined that the electric parking brakes installed on Model S and Model X vehicles built between February and October 2016 may contain a small gear that could have been manufactured improperly by our third‑party supplier. If this gear were to break, the parking brake would continue to keep the car from moving, but the parking brake would then be stuck in place. There have been no reports of the parking brake system failing to hold a parked vehicle or failing to stop a vehicle in an emergency as a result of this condition, and this part has no impact on the car’s regular braking systems. We have also determined that only a very small percentage of gears in vehicles built during this period were manufactured improperly.

Our records show that you own a Tesla vehicle that was built during this period. We will soon be sending you an official recall notice by mail, which will include information on how to have your parking brakes replaced. In the meantime, it is safe to continue regular use of your vehicle.

Thank you for being a Tesla customer. For more information, FAQs, and other details related to this recall, please visit the Recall Information page. If you need additional assistance, you can also contact us by phone at 1‑877‑798‑3752 or by email at [email protected]. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Should be for AP1 cars only with the old style/separated parking brake.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
LOL... we will just ignore that...

Anyways, it's something that's happened to my X only a handful of times. It does make a loud snapping noise when you try to move though.
Is that related to this issue? It says "If this gear were to break, the parking brake would continue to keep the car from moving, but the parking brake would then be stuck in place."

It sounds like once it's broken it will keep parking brake engaged.

Is that related to this issue? It says "If this gear were to break, the parking brake would continue to keep the car from moving, but the parking brake would then be stuck in place."

It sounds like once it's broken it will keep parking brake engaged.
Maybe it's different or mine just hasn't broken yet? Here's what has happened:

1. Overnight parking (Has only happened in my garage in the morning).
2. Put the X into R.
3. Press brake petal and nothing happens. (I try two to three times).
4. Make sure it's in R and not D like other people :)
5. Slightly press the accelerator petal.
6. Loud snap and X is free.

No other issues have happened so far. I never tried to reset it either since it seemed to be a hardware issue versus software. Maybe it's not related and I'm just thinking too much into it.

Maybe it's different or mine just hasn't broken yet? Here's what has happened:

1. Overnight parking (Has only happened in my garage in the morning).
2. Put the X into R.
3. Press brake petal and nothing happens. (I try two to three times).
4. Make sure it's in R and not D like other people :)
5. Slightly press the accelerator petal.
6. Loud snap and X is free.

No other issues have happened so far. I never tried to reset it either since it seemed to be a hardware issue versus software. Maybe it's not related and I'm just thinking too much into it.
Did it rain the night before? Sounds like some rust may have developed and the brakes may have seized a little. The same thing has happened to me numerous times. I've always assumed it was a little rust, but then again, I too got the Email, so who knows.

Reactions: matblk and Saghost
Did it rain the night before? Sounds like some rust may have developed and the brakes may have seized a little. The same thing has happened to me numerous times. I've always assumed it was a little rust, but then again, I too got the Email, so who knows.
I thought it was that after the first time since it was snowing. I figured it was a frozen patch or something. Then the second time it happened it was sunny and not wet at all when I drove it the day before.

I got an appointment set for next week for unrelated issue so I asked the SC if it will also be taken care of while the car is there so I don't have to go another time. They called back saying the notice is so new that they do not have any information yet on the repair, and hopefully they will have solution when my car goes in next week.

From a PR point, they probably should have been more discrete.

At best, blaming your supplier says you have no receiving inspection, nor do you do not monitor your suppliers. Your suppliers are part of your team, you do not throw them under the bus publicly. You work with them to come up with a corrective action plan and a preventitive action plan, so the specific issue is resolved and future occurrences with similar root causes are eliminated.

"We are having a preemptive recall for a potential parking brake issue. There is a possibility that some parking brakes might malfunction. The possible malfunction could cause the parking brake not release properly when commanded. This is not a safety recall, but we would appreciate it if you could schedule a free service at your soonest convenience so we can insure your car remains in excellent working order. We appreciate your business."

When it happened to me I thought it was rust. I had it happen to my old car. I drove in really wet weather, then parked the car in the garage over a weekend. Next time I tried to move it, the parking brake was rusted to the drums (that car had rear drum brakes). I thought the same thing happened when the Tesla hesitated to pull out of the garage and clunked free a couple of times. It's been a wet winter here.