Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking Brake will not disengage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
went to set off on a journey today and as soon as I put my M3 LR in Drive and was hit by a message saying that the parking brake would not disengage.
messed around with it drive park, drive park etc there is also a parking brake reset by holding down the parking brake button but no luck.
car seemed unsure if the brake was stuck on or off so I drove a few hundred yards then touched the discs. back left was red hot. back right stone cold. so looks like a real issue.
Can't find any info about this happening on an M3 anywhere so looks like a rare problem. I had new rear tyres a couple of days ago. seems co-incidental for this to happen so soon after but I watched them fit them and they did nothing obviously wrong and I have only done a couple of short journeys since without issue
I wonder if dropping it down off the Jack jerked something but they were not obviously rough with it ?
undrivable though. just waiting for tesla to come pick it up and bring me a rental. 🙁
will update when I find out the solution for the benefit of future generations 😀

Attachments

• 20210612_111602.jpg
    20210612_111602.jpg
    671.2 KB · Views: 338
  • 20210612_111612.jpg
    20210612_111612.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 187
If you want to poke around yourself there is an electrical connector for the parking brake behind the disc ... best check out Youtube for details ... it's something to disconnect when doing a brake service so that the pistons don't activate when the pads are out.

• Informative
Reactions: Mr H
If you want to poke around yourself there is an electrical connector for the parking brake behind the disc ... best check out Youtube for details ... it's something to disconnect when doing a brake service so that the pistons don't activate when the pads are out.
Its been collected now. I did actually take off both wheels and have a look. There is a connector which I assume is for a sensor. but it all looked fine on both sides. no evidence anything was damaged in the tyre change. That was before I discovered the problem was definitely the left.
Whatever motor or servo actually controls the parking brake I assume is not built into the calliper but is on the end of one of the hoses or cables that runs to it and the electrical connection is just a sensor. If that failed would it leave the brake engaged? I would assume that even if it could not detect the state, if you were in drive it would release the brake which it clearly is not doing fully?
hopefully I will find out. Whether the fix involves any parts should be a good guide.

Reactions: Arran
Here's hoping for a quick fix that does not need parts...seeing as parts seem to be in short supply...
The guys at enterprise told me the hire cars never seem to be for more than 4 days which is a good sign. However Tesla already hinted that if the car is not fixed Monday maybe I'd like to swap the hire car for a Tesla loaner. So maybe that is why. I pointed out that I had to do an 80mile round trip today to get the hire car and I don't fancy another 70 mile round trip tomorrow to swap it for a knackered model S. I wonder how long the repair will need to take before they insist....

The guys at enterprise told me the hire cars never seem to be for more than 4 days which is a good sign. However Tesla already hinted that if the car is not fixed Monday maybe I'd like to swap the hire car for a Tesla loaner. So maybe that is why. I pointed out that I had to do an 80mile round trip today to get the hire car and I don't fancy another 70 mile round trip tomorrow to swap it for a knackered model S. I wonder how long the repair will need to take before they insist....

Hmm. My last Enterprise loaner was a Tesla and for 6 weeks waiting for parts and service to get A Round Tuit. And the loaner was delivered to the door.

Hmm. My last Enterprise loaner was a Tesla and for 6 weeks waiting for parts and service to get A Round Tuit. And the loaner was delivered to the door.
it would have been delivered to the door except it was Saturday afternoon all the local branches close at midday. So the only place I was offered was Birmingham international 40 miles away and they had no delivery drivers available so they paid for a taxi for me to go collect it. Since I needed a 5 seater car for a family outing the next day I had no choice. Any other day in the last 18 months I probably could have waited until Monday. but on this occasion I needed 5 seats on Sunday and my wife's car is a 4 seater so off to Birmingham I went.
But at least it made the taxi drivers day. His son is apparently a huge Tesla fan and he seemed to be really looking forward to telling him he had driven someone whose Tesla broke down :rolleyes: