Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking Features.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps I'm not clear on parking features of the M3, but I was under the impression there was some. Like auto parallel parking, or slot parking. We don't seem to have any available. I do see the P come on the screen while I'm driving briefly, and then it disappears. Can someone elaborate on this feature. Thanks.

the conditions have to be ideal. the car has to sense cars on both sides of the parking space and they have to be a certain length apart

when it does see that space is "parkable" the P will show up gray. once you stop the car (i forgot if you have to be in park or reverse) it will glow blue and enable you to tap to autopark.

Last edited:
One important thing to note is that it tries to park right in the middle of the two cars, not between the lines. I have a spot in a parking garage at work that is right next to a pillar, but with a car on the other side of the pillar. Autopark tries to center my Model 3 between the cars, and aims so that it would back into the pillar. I haven't let it go far enough to see if it would actually hit the pillar or if the sensors would detect it and stop the car. Just something to be aware of.

Perhaps I'm not clear on parking features of the M3, but I was under the impression there was some. Like auto parallel parking, or slot parking. We don't seem to have any available. I do see the P come on the screen while I'm driving briefly, and then it disappears. Can someone elaborate on this feature. Thanks.

You should probably have a look at the manual: https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf

That said, I find Autopark so elusive that I sometimes wonder if it's myth or legend also. If I see the blue P popup, it's usually only so brief that by the time I do a double take and look again, it's gone.

Reactions: forkee
That said, I find Autopark so elusive that I sometimes wonder if it's myth or legend also. If I see the blue P popup, it's usually only so brief that by the time I do a double take and look again, it's gone.

i agree, it's rare. i get excited when i get to use it...only to be disappointed at how crappy it actually parks. it's only done an acceptable job a few times.

Reactions: ElectricCanuck
I have made some peace with autopark. Here's what I've found:
  • There definitely need to be cars in front and back of the space, it will only park in a space bounded by cars whether parallel or perpendicular to the curb
  • I believe it only works with parking on the right side of the car (in the US)
  • You have to drive by slowly (under 5 says the manual, I'd say under 3) you have to be going that slowly from when your nose first crosses empty space until your tail finishes crossing the empty space
  • As soon as you see the P with a circle, stop and put it in reverse
  • That gives you the start button
Given all that, it works 80-90% of the time. When I don't see the P I start parking manually and 50% of those times it gives me the P half way into my first turn. Same thing. Stop, put it in reverse (even if you already are) and hit the start button and it will finish the job.

When it does the whole job it does a fantastic job of parking, consistently six inches or so from the curb, exactly even space in front and behind. When I engage it half way through it is entirely dependent on how accurate my first turn was. It can range from great to lousy.

A quick aside: I used Autopark to park in a row of Teslas at the charging spaces in SFO airport parking. I noticed that the charger behind made it park a little further out than I would have (leaving more space behind). When I looked at the row of Teslas I could tell who had autoparked, we were all exactly the same distance away from the charger. The other cars were varying distances, but closer to the charger.

• Informative
Reactions: srjinatl and Runt8