TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Parking for 2 weeks - Best practices for healthy battery etc?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by TR5642, Dec 18, 2016.

1. TR5642

TR5642 Member

I'm going to be taking the ICE cross country for a two week trip later this month. That leaves the MS in the driveway at home in northern CA. (Yes, I considered taking it instead but the ICE is AWD and snow tires and the MS is RWD with 21" non-snow tires)

My question is how to leave it while I'm gone:
    • Ambient temps will be 50-60 deg daytime down to perhaps 30 at night
    • It'll be about two weeks unused
    • I have HPWC available and can leave car plugged in, in the driveway outdoors in shade nearly all day
    So what's best practice?
    1. Just park it full and don't worry about it? Vampire drain seems like it'd take about 50-60 miles tops during that time under normal weather. But given the chance of significantly colder nights than I've experienced with this car before, I'm not sure that holds up. (First real frost last night and didn't notice what the drain was)
    2. Just plug it in and don't worry about it? Not hard to do but I'm not clear on how it behaves when left plugged in for days. I want it to stay on overnight charging only (EV plan) But I'm not sure it restarts on the next night (or later) as needed
    3. Plug it in, set the charge limit mid SOC? I read somewhere a recommendation for a month+ park to set SOC limit to 50% and leave it plugged in. This seems like overkill and leaves me with a half empty car unless I remember to 'phone it in' for a reset the day before returning.
    Any practical or theoretical advice out there?

2. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

2 is fine... I assume you set ît at a daily mode charge. 3 works too, but it is optimal if you just remember to put it back to a daily setting.

3. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Options 2 or 3 are both fine ... a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla :cool:

4. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

Set it to 80% and leave it plugged in. It should obey the time you already have set, and the difference in pack wear between 50% and 80% is basically so close to zero that it doesn't matter.

5. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

I leave mine plugged in with SOC between 50% and 80% depending on where it was when I left. Generally I try for 50%. I leave it for months at a time. No harm, and follows Tesla recommendations. BTW, BEV are happier with long term storage than are ICE, especially if the storage area is hit and humid. ICE store best when it is arid.

6. kort677

kort677 Active Member

as others have noted a plugged in tesla is a happy tesla, set the charge limit to 50% plug it in and enjoy your trip.
    is there a reason you're using your ICE car and not the tesla?

• Helpful x 1
  7. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Two weeks ago, I left my car parked in an outside surface lot for a week. Temperatures where in the 40-60 range for most of the time.

And for most of that week, I was losing about 10 miles of range per day.

I exchanged e-mails with Tesla - and they confirmed the car was operating properly and that the amount of energy loss was reasonable, under those conditions.

For previous long trips, we've parked in a garage, with warmer temperatures and saw less energy loss (closer to 3 miles per day).

If you're planning to leave your car unplugged for 2 weeks, outside, in colder weather, it may be safer to leave the car plugged in - or make arrangements with a neighbor to plug the car in if the charge level starts getting too low.

8. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

Good advice. 50% is ideal for li-ion batteries when not in use. Also the OP said their Tesla is not an AWD version and doesn't have snow tires. If it were me I'd still take it :)