Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking for 7 days with sentry mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
we recently went on vacation. left the car showing enough charge for about 190 miles or so, in a closed garage with no trees overhead. It gets pretty hot in the garage. Came back after 10 days. It had 65 miles worth of charge. I dont have a usb drive inserted, but my sentry mode was on.

Sentry Mode will disable itself when the battery drops below 20%, at which point power consumption will be minimal.

What's the point of having Sentry Mode turned on if you don't have a USB drive inserted?

Sentry Mode consumes about 500 Watts continuously. 500*24*7=84,000 Wh. Your battery only holds about 73,000 Wh (73 kWh) if it's long range and about 50,000 Wh (50 kWh) if it's a standard range.

This seems drastic. I park for 12 hours a day with sentry mode on and I love about 14 miles of range during that time. Wouldn’t it be closer to 210 miles of drain in 7 days?

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
That is worst case. If you are living your car for an extended time you should always prepare for the worst case. OP can you plug into a 120V? If so you will be all set.

Nope sometimes I stay in NYC and stay over for a week and leave the car on the street and what's the worse case being it draining out what would happen

I sometimes move the car when I have to for street cleaning but I try to go in on a holiday week and don't have to move it for awhile

I lose just about 1 mile for every hour the sentry is turned on, I've measured it. For instance, when I arrived at my office this morning I had 162 miles remaining, 9 hours later, I have 153 miles remaining. The car is shaded, so no climate control is on. YMMV.

• Informative
Reactions: justabrake