Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking garage [car damaged in a parking garage]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My parking garage did a nice little number on my car. What I want to know for future reference is, is there a way to have the dashcam continuously record or sentry? Car is left in parking garage for 8-10 hours and have a 500gb hard drive connected to the car but know dashcam overwrites itself after an hour. Trying to figure out if there is a way I can record during this time so can catch anyone who does this next time (hopefully never again)

As an aside does anyone know roughly what it costs for a new rear bumper (the part) and installation (labor). I’m hoping it doesn’t have to be replaced as there is a gash but not deep so hoping there is something they can do to fix it. Thoughts?

4D2E9239-C344-48A0-A106-983E26277480.jpeg

Attachments

• 90454F78-4764-4D58-B763-7EF45540DD39.jpeg
    90454F78-4764-4D58-B763-7EF45540DD39.jpeg
    387.2 KB · Views: 70
  • F7A58C9F-41EF-4B17-9C25-83BD80281259.jpeg
    F7A58C9F-41EF-4B17-9C25-83BD80281259.jpeg
    755.3 KB · Views: 81
What I want to know for future reference is, is there a way to have the dashcam continuously record or sentry? Car is left in parking garage for 8-10 hours and have a 500gb hard drive connected to the car but know dashcam overwrites itself after an hour. Trying to figure out if there is a way I can record during this time so can catch anyone who does this next time (hopefully never again)

Sorry about the car- that sucks.

But no, you can't do what you want.

Dashcam only records a 1 hour buffer it overwrites- nothing is saved beyond that other than:

Manual saves initiated by the user by tapping the dashcam icon or (if enabled) honking the horn- which moves the last 10 minutes of dashcam footage to the saved folder

or

Sentry mode going to alert state- which moves the last 10 minutes of dashcam video to the sentry folder.

That said- if sentry was on it seems like it ought to have gone to alert when whatever did that damage came near the car so there ought to be a clip in the sentry folder for it?

if sentry was on it seems like it ought to have gone to alert when whatever did that damage came near the car
I find that sentry is good for saving events for people getting close but not vehicles.

I don't think I've ever had an event recorded when a vehicle pulls into or out of the spot beside me in a parking lot or drives past my car closely. It will record a person getting in or out of that car, though. It will also record people walking by much farther away than vehicles have gotten.

It would be nice if the car's accelerometer could be used to record a sentry event whenever movement was detected and anything was seen as moving close by during that time. However, that might cause a huge number of recordings from something close swaying in the wind during winds strong enough to buffet the car. 🤔

@Knightshade thanks for the reply. I did not have sentry on as the parking attendant was driving the car into a pole or whatever else he drove into. Even if sentry was on would it really have captured this?

Plus the garage leaves the car unlocked and windows down. If we engage sentry then the alarm starts going off so. Not sure what to do aside from bubble wrapping the entire car. This garage is horrible but only place to park car for work. Any other 3rd party solutions ppl aware of?

@Knightshade thanks for the reply. I did not have sentry on as the parking attendant was driving the car into a pole or whatever else he drove into. Even if sentry was on would it really have captured this?

Ah, sorry I wasn't clear if he was driving the car and hit something (no help from sentry), or if yours was parked and another car hit your parked one as itself was being parked (which might have triggered a sentry alert saving the last 10 min of video).

Plus the garage leaves the car unlocked and windows down. If we engage sentry then the alarm starts going off so.

If the sentry isn't on I believe the car will just go to sleep and turn the cameras off entirely. Dashcam is only on when the car is awake/on (and sentry being on keeps it that way).

You could add a 3rd party dashcam system- but I think you might have issues powering it for 8-10 hours at a time with the car asleep and depending on the mounting might or might not see what you want to see. Guessing you have no way to request they leave the windows up and car locked?

Thanks @Knightshade The car doesn’t go to sleep actually as every time I check it the app pops right up with location etc. regardless I am going to ask them to keep windows up and car locked from now on. With that I can have sentry on but would this have triggered an event? Just don’t want a repeat. This is gonna be a costly repair. Fighting the parking garage is a losing battle.