TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Parking in EV Charging stalls and not charging?

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by DNAPoPo, Oct 7, 2019.

1. DNAPoPo

DNAPoPo Member

I feel like it is just as bad to take up a charging stall as an ICE vehicle parking in the same stall and not using the charging.

I have noticed EVs now just parking in stalls for the prime location and not even bother plugging in to charge. Pretty rude no?

What do you guys think?

• Like x 4
  2. phaheem

phaheem Member

I agree. If you’re not actively charging, don’t park in a charging stall.

• Like x 1
  3. St☰v☰

St☰v☰ Member

That reminds me of non-handicapped people using a handicapped plaque/plate to get prime parking up front.

• Like x 2
  4. rickdogg82

rickdogg82 Member

It is worse in my opinion. The random person many not understand the importance of these spots for EV drivers but EV drivers certainly do. And if you don't need to charge but park there and plug in to get a good spot, you are only nearly as much of an a-hole.

• Like x 5
  5. pitabun

pitabun Member

Yes, but unfortunately you’re just preaching to the choir here.

super annoying at work, but at the same time I never really need to charge.

6. rhaekar

rhaekar Member

Some people are just entitled, doesn't matter what they drive. As long as there are no consequences, it's not going to stop.

7. sduck

sduck Mr. Duck

Maybe not completely - if even one person who's done this sees this and gets the light turn on, it's helped a little.

We're all good about not parking in handicapped spaces, right? That wasn't always the case - back in the early 80's, when handicapped parking spaces first became a thing, it was the same. Anyone would park in them, telling themselves it was ok because there's more of them, no-one parks in them, they'll be right back, etc. It took a lot of us being yelled at by someone we knew to get the message unfortunately - I was one of those who had to be sternly talked to by a friend. So, this is what needs to happen now - little steps like this to get the message out to the population, one person at a time.

• Like x 1
  8. CharleyBC

CharleyBC Member

Goes to show even some EV owners can be ICEholes.

• Funny x 1
  9. DNAPoPo

DNAPoPo Member

I need to make "ICEhole" stickers, lol

• Like x 1
  10. Lakeshow24

Lakeshow24 Member

I'll buy one!

• Like x 1
  11. KenC

KenC Active Member

Leave them a polite note.

12. CharleyBC

CharleyBC Member

But on their second offense, they get one of our new ICEhole stickers.

13. EVDRVN

EVDRVN Member

I suggest watching the South Park "Smug" episode on hybrid owners.

14. TT97

TT97 Active Member

There’s a charging spot at my golf course that the charging station has been broken for months. When I park there, I still plug in knowing it doesn’t do anything just so it doesn’t look like I’m “icing” the spot.

• Like x 2
  15. JATinNH

JATinNH Member

I don’t do a lot of non-home or non-Tesla charging, but from what I’ve been reading from Plug Share check-ins, charger malfunctions seems to be fairly common. I’m wondering how many of these EVs that are taking up an EV space without plugging in is due to a broken charger?

16. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Member

What is there are 2 chargers but 3 spots? I see this in a parking garage I go to. Always the same X5 (plugged in) and model 3 (not plugged in) and usually another hybrid.