TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Parking in Manhattan? (GARAGES?)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by RainmakerJL, Oct 29, 2013.

1. RainmakerJL

RainmakerJL Member

FYI: I am a daily commuter from Westchester County to Chelsea....

So i am teetering with purchasing the p85+ and i asked my daily garage in Chelsea if they charge a premium for the Tesla and they responded with "We don't take electrics" to which i responded with " i saw one yesterday and last week" and they said only monthly and they charge $1k a month for parking a Tesla.. Thats 2x the monthly for all other cars.. Anyone else commuting into the city daily with a Tesla that can speak to experience and strategies for parking? There is an open air parking lot close by as well that I am going to check out tomorrow....

2. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

many garages are absurd like that. for the garages that know what a Tesla is they treat it like an exotic and will charge upwards and over $800/month. I had one quote me $550 but after saying it was a Tesla he say 'oh in that case $900' so yeah, time to find a different garage. Honestly, your best bet is calling the parent management companies of these garages and getting quotes for a bunch of them and then striking a deal with one. One of the deals that I made was that I park it, I plug it in, and I keep the keys. No valet will touch my car. I've had several quote me $350 (plus taxes, so more like $400), but the deal I struck with one was $500/month including taxes and 'my rules'.

its not easy. one place you can start looking for lower monthly rates is here: http://nyc.bestparking.com/

if you are looking to charge + park, thats a whole other ball game and you're choices have suddenly been narrowed down to a select few. chargepoint.net . most places will charge $0.49/kW or $2.95/hr. very few 'free' chargers in NYC. trying to find a free charger+self park garage=good luck. I haven't found one yet. I think there's only like 7 self-park garages in NYC anyway lol

3. SamGarber

SamGarber S85 "Whale Shark"

I parked near Roosevelt Hospital and they were awesome. Free charging and $20 for the day.

bahapu8e.jpg

Based on signs it was $350 monthly.

4. RainmakerJL

RainmakerJL Member

Looking for something south of that hospital and the commute is 45 miles so no need to charge while i park. I like the "my rules" setting (i.e. I park, I keep key, i park..) Would happily pay up to $500 a month for that. The outdoor lot is going to get a look tomorrow and given that i can temperature set the car from my desk gives me no concern in inclement weather....

5. Mike_Schlechter

Mike_Schlechter Model S - P457

There is a groupon for garages in NYC - some as low as $299. I'm switching to get the discount. I didn't see any exotic disclaimers. I have been parking on Broome and W/ Broad, but don't plug in there. They treat the car great, and when they park it out front and it gets covered in hand prints they clean them off before giving it back to me. Great guys, but $600 a month twice the groupon rate for a five minute walk.

Icon Parking Systems Deal of the Day | Groupon

6. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

disclaimer is right there: "Not valid for exotic cars, full size vans or trucks. Valid only at listed location. 18.375% NY parking tax not included. $50 oversize parking fee may apply."

If they don't hit you with an exotic fee, they'll hit you for the oversized car fee. oversize vehicles are 181″ or longer. Model S is 196" long. So your $299 is more likely $415 already with taxes and fees.