Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking in NYC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am reluctant to take my model s to a NYC parking garage and let the attendants drive it...will they have a clue of how to work the car? What has anyone else found out about this. Went to a wedding last weekend and also didn't take the model s for the same reason, the club attendants wouldn't have a clue of what to do.
I also went to the car wash and was equally reluctant to get out of the car and let them drive it up to and away from the car wash tunnel. What do others do here???
BR, New York

I am reluctant to take my model s to a NYC parking garage and let the attendants drive it...will they have a clue of how to work the car? What has anyone else found out about this. Went to a wedding last weekend and also didn't take the model s for the same reason, the club attendants wouldn't have a clue of what to do.
I also went to the car wash and was equally reluctant to get out of the car and let them drive it up to and away from the car wash tunnel. What do others do here???
BR, New York

Open up the browser and load the following page, or print it out and give to the attendant:

http://terresta.com/tesla/

I've been driving my Model S to NYC regularly for five and half months. Sometimes I have to give a little explanation, but I've really had no trouble. I work down in SoHo, so it is an outdoor garage where basically they just back it onto a lift and leave it there.

Also, I suppose you could park at the service center in queens and walk to the 7 or the C and get to just about anywhere in Manhattan.

I use my Model S for commuting to NYC. Initially the manager would not let the other guys touch the car (only he'd park and retrieve it). But over time the guys at the garage caught onto the car pretty easily and have had no problems. They even plug it into a 110V socket at no extra charge - don't really get a lot of miles, but atleast I don't have to worry about vampire lose.

I have to use valets all the time in Miami. Generally, it's not that difficult for them -- keep in mind that the side stalk is exactly the same as in all Mercedes (until 2013 models, I think) for the last 5 or 6 years, so it's not completely foreign to them. The "hardest" thing for them to get used to is (1) there not being any button to shut the car off, and (2) not having to do anything but hit the brake to put the car on. I simply tell them when they are going to get the car to just hit the brake and the car will start.

Really, it hasn't been much of a problem -- my bigger issue has been a couple of times where I've caught the valet showing off the car to other employees etc., which is annoying but not fatal (no joy rides, yet). I usually spend 30 seconds explaining the car to them, and keep the energy screen on so they understand that I'll know the usage and distance that they use. A lot of valets are car enthusiasts so they are interested to hear and see a bit about the car.

Also, if they're going to plug it in, I like to tell them to hit the battery on top (which directly brings up the charging screen) to open the charge port so they don't have to go through the settings page.

I use my Model S for commuting to NYC. Initially the manager would not let the other guys touch the car (only he'd park and retrieve it). But over time the guys at the garage caught onto the car pretty easily and have had no problems. They even plug it into a 110V socket at no extra charge - don't really get a lot of miles, but atleast I don't have to worry about vampire lose.

Which garage do you park at? This forum is sprinkled with Model S owners who have gotten their garages in NYC to install a 120 Volt outlet for them (and on occasion a NEMA 14-50) ... When I ask if I can plug my Chevy Volt into a nearby 110 outlet I'm usually told "no" -- even at the Battery garage downtown (which is self-park) where I have a monthly space through work, staff at the garage usually unplug me while they make their rounds -- usually around 2 pm.. Thankfully with the mobile app I can check this and go plug in again.