Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking in two spots to block “B” stall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's weird, but I still keep struggling with keeping the car parallel to the lines. I never had issues with that in old car (no camera or sensors, lots of glass in rear part).

Me too. I'm beginning to suspect that my back up lines aren't fully aligned with reality :)

Same here, I even made a video showing what I believed was an issue. Had the camera alignment checked and they said it was fine. Still have not figured out why I have trouble with my Model S and with no other car:

I would say that the person in the first pic is merely a very bad parker. I watched someone the other day take four tries to back into a super charger lane. He was at an about 30 degree angle the first few times, and even when he got into the lane, he was still over the line, and about a 10 degree angle.

It seems that people do not understand the concept of when you are backing up, you need to turn the wheel the other way.

Some people just do not know how to back up.

See this:

I would say that the person in the first pic is merely a very bad parker. I watched someone the other day take four tries to back into a super charger lane. He was at an about 30 degree angle the first few times, and even when he got into the lane, he was still over the line, and about a 10 degree angle.

It seems that people do not understand the concept of when you are backing up, you need to turn the wheel the other way.

See this:

Hitch up a trailer and really watch the fun!

Reactions: boaterva
It's weird, but I still keep struggling with keeping the car parallel to the lines. I never had issues with that in old car (no camera or sensors, lots of glass in rear part).

The backup camera is slightly offset to one side and is a little fisheye which leads to the painted parking lines not showing straight on the screen when the car actually is. Conversely, if you steer so that the lines show straight on the screen, you will not actually be straight in the spot.

Reactions: Big Earl
The first person to a paired stall gets full current. The second person pulling in gets only what is left over from the first to arrive. As the first car begins to taper, then the 2nd person begins to get additional juice.

My experience is that it will not always pick up the pace. Or if it does, maybe too slow for me.
If you're around, it is worth to unplug/replug your car.

Hey guys OP here. The picture was taken at an angle so it’s hard to tell, but the car is perfectly centered between the two spots. A couple was sitting in it as it charged. They saw me take this picture. This was the Lee MA superchargers
At least the driver was there and could move their car if someone else needed to charge. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are brand new owners who are terrified of getting that first door ding/scratch. It's still a terrible parking job, but if literally *no one* else was around and needed to charge, then no harm came to anyone. (That said, they still deserve to be internet-shamed).

arrived at Kingman AZ the other day and there was a Tesla parked literally diagonally. The chargers are set up 123123, so it wasn't even someone thinking they were blocking a pairing! Worse, because it's only a six stall charger and two other cars were there, I had to park in a way that blocked two stalls in order for the cable to reach.
That SC id overdue for restriping. The markings on the ground are barely visible (I've been there at different times of the day). I had to repark the car myself as I have missed the "alignment" the first time I was there :)

The backup camera is slightly offset to one side and is a little fisheye which leads to the painted parking lines not showing straight on the screen when the car actually is. Conversely, if you steer so that the lines show straight on the screen, you will not actually be straight in the spot.
I've never thought of that before. I've noticed I have a hard time parking my S straight and never had this issue with previous cars...but none of my previous cars had cameras. I should try using the mirrors more and see if that helps...or figure out how I need to have the lines appear on the screen in order for things to really be lined up straight.

That SC id overdue for restriping. The markings on the ground are barely visible (I've been there at different times of the day). I had to repark the car myself as I have missed the "alignment" the first time I was there :)
I've found some Superchargers are marked better than others. There really aren't any visible lines in Brush, CO. Fortunately, there are parking blocks so I just aim for those. I found the lines in Lusk, WY to be really odd because there are at least two sets of lines and you have to park backwards diagonally and you aren't perpendicular to the Superchargers. When there are other cars in the lot, it can take a few tries to get in a spot correctly.
upload_2018-7-3_8-20-46.png

I see bad parking, inability to park reverse direction. Really, most people can't back in well, but when you see they aren't even plugged in, it's time for a note.

I got embarrassed the other day. I was watching a woman parking her S and was afraid she was going to pair with me and wouldn't get a decent charge, but by the time I got there to explain pairing she had it pulled in perfectly to the next charger over, unpaired, straight as an arrow. She'd been practicing and knew all about pairing. Good on you!

Here's another example. This is my video. I had to sit there and wait 2 and a half minutes for this lady to back OUT of the spot and clear the space.

Sorry for the soundtrack, I had to replace the original one because Youtube rights dinged me with what I had playing at the time. Just put it on mute.

Hey guys OP here. The picture was taken at an angle so it’s hard to tell, but the car is perfectly centered between the two spots. A couple was sitting in it as it charged. They saw me take this picture. This was the Lee MA superchargers
They are definitely not charging in your picture. Guess you took it before or after they did? Seems like it would be awkward at best and the SC cable probably would barely reach the charge port, if it did at all. Some people are just oblivious....or dumb....or both....:rolleyes:

Same here, I even made a video showing what I believed was an issue. Had the camera alignment checked and they said it was fine. Still have not figured out why I have trouble with my Model S and with no other car:

Personally, I ignore the camera parking lines completely and totally agree that they're misleading. Side mirrors tell me how much space I have on each side of my car and whether or not I'm parallel to the painted lines, and the backup camera tells me how far back I have left to go once the car is straight.

Maybe it's just me, but I generally distrust software "crutches" because they can be misconfigured (see video above) or lead to over-reliance (see numerous AP accidents caused by inattentiveness). As useful as it is, I'm even salty about navigation because my ability to self-navigate has deteriorated so much. My car before this was also a 2001 with no fancy tech things, so I guess I'm trying to preserve as many analog skills as I can lol.

My rear camera guidelines seem to work fine to center my parking; I'm surprised that they don't for others here.

Biggest problem I have in getting straight and centered in a charging slot is when there are cars parked in front of the slots and I don't have room to make a wide turn before reversing. If the approach is cramped I might have to go back and forth a bit in the limited space available to line up correctly.

They are definitely not charging in your picture. Guess you took it before or after they did? Seems like it would be awkward at best and the SC cable probably would barely reach the charge port, if it did at all. Some people are just oblivious....or dumb....or both....:rolleyes:

Correct - they unplugged immediately before I took the picture. They were charging for at least 20 minutes because that’s how long I was there

Maybe it's just me, but I generally distrust software "crutches" because they can be misconfigured (see video above) or lead to over-reliance (see numerous AP accidents caused by inattentiveness). As useful as it is, I'm even salty about navigation because my ability to self-navigate has deteriorated so much. My car before this was also a 2001 with no fancy tech things, so I guess I'm trying to preserve as many analog skills as I can lol.

Your sight (as well as other senses) are just software "crutches" too :p

Looking at your picture, they are not plugged into either stall, nor is there anything sticking out of the charge port on the driver's side. Are Model 3's in MA charging wirelessly now? ;)

It seems some drivers think superchargers are free parking spots reserved just for Tesla owners. Because of paid supercharging and idle fees Model 3 don't plug at all. Model S plug in as long they have room for electrons, it's not as noticeable. If it's the driver's most prized possession, some park across multiple spots to keep the car from scratches (I once confronted a Camaro driver asking why he parked across 3 spots, he genuinely explained that he has a super expensive car and doesn't want to expose it to "common" cars for which people don't care as much. When I asked if he considered that he prevented people from being able to park, he said "I had no other choice" and I think he actually believed it).