TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Parking Lights while out of car

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by znino, Jan 14, 2013.

1. znino

znino Member

Does anyone know if it is possible to keep either parking lights or daytime running lights when upside of the vehicle with the doors locked? Sometimes you may want to be out of the car bit keep those lights on for visibility reasons. This feature is available on many cars.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

There is a setting to have the lights stay on for a bit after you lock the car already.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Turn on the hazard flashers if it's a safety issue. They will stay on.

4. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

I suspect the trick to keep the radio playing for your passengers when you exit the car will work to keep the lights on (put the car in park via touchscreen and not the stalk).

5. znino

znino Member

I'll try that but won't that only work if you are still in the car? If you walk away far enough from the car and it locks I guess everything will turn off right?

6. znino

znino Member

It's not really a safety issue but just wanted to know if the car is off and locked if you can still have the lights on to illuminate for a while (more than the 2 min courtesy light option)

7. JoshG

JoshG Member

I agree with OP that this is frustrating and a mistake I hope they correct in a future software release. Parking lights, as per the name, are for situations where you're parked for a while at night and want to make sure other motorists notice the presence of a parked vehicle, say on the side of the road. I'm surprised they're not required equipment.
    What are Parking Lights?

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm... according to Wikipedia , Germany DOES require parking lights to operate without the ignition being on. It's not required in U.S., but it's been on every car I've ever owned. But the German law means that Tesla will have to have software/circuitry that enables this, so maybe it will be enabled by default (or available as an option) on U.S. and other-market vehicles.

8. tonyj01

tonyj01 Member

Resurrecting an old thread here, I was parking last night in an unlit narrow lane and wanted to leave the parking lights on, after locking and leaving the car.

I could not make this happen [MS90D, nine months ownership], found nothing in the Model S manual, and very little in this or any other forum.

Any ideas?

Here in the UK, there are places one must leave parking lights on, it is a law that is rarely enforced nor observed. Waiting and parking - Parking at night (248 to 252)

I hope I am not missing a simple obvious method.

Regards,

Tony