TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Parking lot accident, need advice!

Discussion in 'California' started by cybrown, Apr 8, 2016.

1. cybrown

cybrown Member

Recently my beloved Model S was struck in a parking lot. Another car attempted to cut a corner around me and scraped across my rear right. There is some significant gouging in the rear bumper cover, as well as the edge of the trunk lid - see pics below. IMG_3102.jpg IMG_3105.JPG
    No damage anywhere else that I can tell. I am currently in discussions with insurance because my car was in reverse at the time of the accident, although stationary. The other driver is claiming that I reversed into them. But I'm mostly looking for body shop advice. A few questions:

1) Can anyone give an estimated cost for replacement of the bumper cover? Is a replacement necessary or is it possible to repair these things?

2) Thoughts on the trunk lid? Will this be easily repairable?

3) I'm near San Jose and the SF Peninsula - any recommendations for where to have the work done? Thanks!

2. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

I hope the car that hit you was insured. Please let us know the estimate for repairs.

3. kort677

kort677 Active Member

while it looks bad there appears to be damages to only easily replaced plastic trim pieces. patience will be your friend while sorting out the fixes.

4. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

We had very similar damage to our MS. Ours had no damage to the hardware under the bumper cover (except for one damaged parking sensor) but the damage included a 2" crease in the lower edge of the trunk lid. The repair totaled about $1,800.

Previously, we had damage that was only the bumper cover, no damage to the parking sensor or trunk lid and it was about $1,300.

5. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

I had similar corner damage on Model S. Never repaired it. Washed it and used cquartz.com CarPro reload Silica Spray Sealant after each wash as needed.

Someday I will get the repair, but it would require repainting. The streaks of black plastic blend well with the Signature Red color!

An earlier hit on the clear bra covered bumper was unreal. Clear bra kept the paint intact. Only had to replace the clear bra. Unfortunately, my corner wasn't covered in clear bra.