Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking Lot Pose Offers Size Comparison for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

A Tesla fan who came across a Model Y in the wild took the opportunity to compare the upcoming crossover SUV’s size to both the Model 3 and Model X.

Jason Yu posted photos to Twitter that show him standing next to a blue Model Y in the parking lot of the Westlake Center in Daly City, Calif. He then tried to recreated the same position in front of a Model 3 and Model X.

Tesla has not released the dimensions for the Model Y, but has said it is about 10% larger than the Model 3. The Model Y’s height seems to be somewhere between the two other vehicles.

The first Model Y deliveries to customers are expected in a couple weeks. Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk has said he expects the SUV to outsell all of the company’s other vehicles.

Image: Jay Yu Twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, he seems to be standing right up against the Y (look at the white parking line and the rear tire and his shoes) but several feet off the X (look at his shadow on the ground). If he backed up against the X, it would seem larger in relation to him.

For sizing purposes, here are the Volvo XC90's exterior dimensions.
Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 10.48.07 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
would be great if it was; however, the XC90 is 79” wide and everyone seems to be saying the Y will only be 73” (same as model 3). 6 inches is a big difference in width.
The table of XC90 exterior dimensions that I posted above shows width with mirrors out. I found another source that provides width without mirrors and yes, the XC90 is 79" wide compared to Model 3's 73" width. Below is a comparison of XC90 and Model 3 Exterior Dimensions since Model Y may share some of Model 3's dimensions.

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 6.27.26 AM.png

Volvo source: Dimensions | XC90 | Volvo Cars

Last edited:
  • Informative
According to those specs, the model 3 gains about 10" with the mirrors out (about 5" per side, I guess). The Volvo gains 5"... 2.5" mirrors? I guess the mirrors aren't the widest point when retracted? Either way, the video of the Y did not convince me that they are anything similar in size. Would have been nice if the person taking the video had stepped back a bit so we could compare.

When I watched the video I thought he was next to an XC60 so I was surprised it was an XC90. In other words, the Y appeared bigger than I expected. I hope it’s somewhere between an XC60 and XC90.

I hoping for the same but worried it will only be the same width as the 3.

Does Tesla ever release dimensions of their vehicles or do you always have to wait until a customer measures one? Seems odd that we have little to know details about a car that is beginning deliveries. Is this a Tesla thing?

I hoping for the same but worried it will only be the same width as the 3.

Does Tesla ever release dimensions of their vehicles or do you always have to wait until a customer measures one? Seems odd that we have little to know details about a car that is beginning deliveries. Is this a Tesla thing?
Tesla will likely release the Model Y details (including dimensions) through the Owner's Manual when the cars start getting delivered to customers (~March 15).

• Informative
Sorry if I missed it but the M3 has standard 18" rims and the MY has 20" turbines? Huge optical difference no?
The smallest stock wheel is 18" on the M3 and 19" on the MY. In general, MY wheels are larger by than M3 by 1" to help fill the larger wheel well the MY has over the M3. So although they are larger, they won't appear larger because they're scaled to fit a larger cavity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerev
The smallest stock wheel is 18" on the M3 and 19" on the MY. In general, MY wheels are larger by than M3 by 1" to help fill the larger wheel well the MY has over the M3. So although they are larger, they won't appear larger because they're scaled to fit a larger cavity.
Yes, but those wheels on the MY are definitely the optional 20" Induction wheels so IMO, the picture is a little misleading.