Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking Model 3 for Extended Period

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I've found a little information, but just wanted to double check and make sure I'm not missing anything.

I am potentially having to stay remote and work for the next 2-3 months so would mean leaving Tesla Model 3 LR AWD garaged at home.

As far as I understand, leaving it at least 50% SOC and plugged in to wall charger would be best bet for a healthy battery? Any other recommendations?

I leave mine fir 3-4 months at a time, and did the same with my previous Tesla. I always leave it on the charger at 50%. SOC. I also wash and clean the car prior to storage and use a breathable car cover (mine is the Tesla sold one). Nothing else is needed at all. I tend to open the app every few weeks to confirm that the car is resting happily, but that is not necessary.

I leave mine fir 3-4 months at a time, and did the same with my previous Tesla. I always leave it on the charger at 50%. SOC. I also wash and clean the car prior to storage and use a breathable car cover (mine is the Tesla sold one). Nothing else is needed at all. I tend to open the app every few weeks to confirm that the car is resting happily, but that is not necessary.
Remember to make sure the brakes are dry before hybernation. The model s park brake has a habit of getting stuck on if applied wet for an extended period.

Remember to make sure the brakes are dry before hybernation. The model s park brake has a habit of getting stuck on if applied wet for an extended period.
Very good point. Since it is desirable to wash the car prior to long term storage it is important, especially in humid areas to exercise the main brakes and parking brake to help them dry.

For anybody new to Tesla please ensure that you do use the main brakes every few weeks. They are used very little, especially now that we can regenerate to a full stop. The brakes can rust due to lack of use, probably more so for the Brembos on the P models. I may be a bit more conscious of that point because the rotors had to be replaced on my S when the front ones corroded due to lack of use. That one is certainly a First World Problem.

Teslabjorn's rule of thumb is 10% SOC loss per month... If it was me, I'd put in a little more when I left to leave a useful amount for a good long thrash when I got back.
Not relevant if it is left plugged in at home. The car will top us energy as required. When I travel I also set SOC to 50%, but dial it back up remotely the day before I return so that things are all good to go as normal.