TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Parking outside

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by evsolarman, Jul 3, 2015.

1. evsolarman

evsolarman Member

How long can the car be left unplugged in the winter out in the open? Where I live, there are usually at least a few days in the year when temperatures dip between 0 to -10F. If you had say 70% charge left in a 70S, can it survive a 3 day period parked outside without the need for charging? Is there a rule of thumb for % battery loss (time vs temp)?

2. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    One thing we know for certain is that the rules of thumb are very dependent on temperature. Very cold temperatures do cause faster discharge due to battery pack heating. I suggest looking among the Norwegians for a really good set of informed opinions on this issue. Nowhere else, probably, has their depth of experience.

3. GSP

GSP Member

Check out Björn Nyland's video where he leaves his P85 parked at the Oslo, Norway airport for 30 days while he visits Thailand. The battery was fine when he got back. Loss was something like 1% per day. Look in the Video section here at TMC or search You Tube for Björn Nyland.

GSP

4. evsolarman

evsolarman Member

Thank you, that was useful!

5. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Member

Oh, and the obligatory advice: If you are going to be leaving the car unplugged for a couple of weeks or more, don't keep checking on it with your mobile app! That wakes the car up out of its low power sleep mode and speeds up the energy losses again.