Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensor displaced - how can I get at it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car had a brush with a bank today. Although the paint was only slightly scratched, the left-most rear parking sensor was displaced; I assume it was pushed into the bumper because it is still working (red indicator in that position on the instrument panel). I hope I can just push it back into place. Can anyone tell me how to get at it - from the trunk? from the wheel-arch? from underneath?

My car had a brush with a bank today. Although the paint was only slightly scratched, the left-most rear parking sensor was displaced; I assume it was pushed into the bumper because it is still working (red indicator in that position on the instrument panel). I hope I can just push it back into place. Can anyone tell me how to get at it - from the trunk? from the wheel-arch? from underneath?

Yes, it just pushes back in. Most body shops could do it in a minute. You can probably reach it from the wheel arch since the wheel liner is softer plastic, can be pulled out of place and then pushed back in.

Good luck. You probably have it fixed already.

Yes, it just pushes back in. Most body shops could do it in a minute. You can probably reach it from the wheel arch since the wheel liner is softer plastic, can be pulled out of place and then pushed back in.

Good luck. You probably have it fixed already.

Thank you very much for your response. I have now put it back; it was more of a struggle than I expected because the liner is very stiff. I did it by pulling the liner out a little way, removing a screw that secures the bumper to the body and wriggling my hand in. The sensor seems to be a push-fit, as you say but held only by a rubber seal round it. The assembly is comparatively heavy and would not stay in place, so I used some Araldite.

Accidentally bumped my side bumper.. displaced the plate and the display indicates the parking sensor is not working. I tried pushing back the bumper to put it back in place but it was very hard without any tools. Should I take it to tesla service center or should I go to local body shop?

Attachments

• IMG_7945.JPG
    IMG_7945.JPG
    334.4 KB · Views: 382
Thank you very much for your response. I have now put it back; it was more of a struggle than I expected because the liner is very stiff. I did it by pulling the liner out a little way, removing a screw that secures the bumper to the body and wriggling my hand in. The sensor seems to be a push-fit, as you say but held only by a rubber seal round it. The assembly is comparatively heavy and would not stay in place, so I used some Araldite.
Was yours a model S or 3?

Accidentally bumped my side bumper.. displaced the plate and the display indicates the parking sensor is not working. I tried pushing back the bumper to put it back in place but it was very hard without any tools. Should I take it to tesla service center or should I go to local body shop?

I would ask Service Center first and if they don't take it I'll go for body shop.

I think body shop can get everything in shape but you might still have to go to Service Center afterward if you need electronic service such as getting parking sensor error message cleared, get it re-calibrated... and of course with additional cost.