TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Parking Sensor Installation Stories & Pics

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by astrotoy, Feb 25, 2013.

1. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

I just had parking sensors installed in my MS. They are Cobra 0356/0358 (different sets of 4 each which look identical for front and back) and Cobra 0026/0027 front and rear display units (again different but look identical). They are made in Italy and come from Great Britain. Thanks to Dennis, I worked with a local SF Bay area installer who ordered and installed them. Took a total of 16 hours of labor, plus painting to match the front and rear bumpers (2 black and 2 grey in front and 4 grey in back). In the photo of the front, there is a sensor in the grey to the right and in the black to the left. I think they are pretty well camouflaged. What we wanted were sensors which can tell us which side of the car the object is located as well as how far away. The inside display units are both the same shape and size and both have the lights which flash and sequence and change colors as you approach the object. The installer mounted the rear display just on the inside of the car before the hatch cover, so it is easily seen through the rear view mirror. We have parking sensors on our Lexus LS460L and for us (senior citizens) it is extremely useful. There are both visual and audio cues, with the audio signals getting more persistent the closer we are to the object. The whole thing, including installation and parts was slightly less than the cost of jump seats and paint armor from Tesla. So far they are working great. This was the only thing that was making us hesitant about buying the Tesla. PM me if you want more information about the installer who is in Hayward, CA.

Tesla Parking Sensor Front.JPG Tesla Parking Sensor Back.JPG Tesla Parking Sensor Front Inside.JPG Tesla Parking Sensor Back Inside.JPG

2. olanmills

olanmills Member

I think your installation looks very good, as good as it could be, and you get a great practical benefit out of it. However, I never could stand the look of those little cutouts on any car, let alone nice looking expensive ones.

However, your installation does look very good. I like how the cutouts are small and they seem to be arranged symmetrically (another thing that really bothers me is when factory designed bumpers have the cutouts and they're not symmetrical).

3. olanmills

olanmills Member

#3 olanmills, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    This debate has been dredged up before. Driver-assistance features are no excuse to forgo learn proper technique, but what's wrong with an extra safety margin?

There are many situations where I would have welcomed parking sensors or 360 camera systems. Sure I managed to park just fine anyway, but these features would have made it quicker and more convenient, and again, the reduce the risk of damage to vehicles and other property, and that's a benefit to everyone.

4. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

Looks good!

5. tomanik

tomanik Member

Awesome to see, thanks for sharing!

6. K Hall

K Hall Member

They look great! Very professional installation.

There is no debate; any piece of technology that removes the risk of human error is the only way to go. Poke yoke.

7. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

What a waste of time to post when you don't know to to spell :)

@astrotoy, thanks for posting!

8. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

THAT is exactly what Tesla could and should have offered in the first place! At least as part of the tech package.

9. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Model S P85DL

How are the front sensors activated? You have to put the car in reverse first or is there a button? Or always on?

10. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

The back sensors are activated when you put the car in reverse. The front sensors are on otherwise. There is also a rocker switch which my installer hid under the front console to turn the system on and off.

11. mcskks

mcskks Member

Great idea and very nice installation. Thanks for sharing the pictures here.

12. steve841

steve841 Active Member

You definitely found some seriously talented installers....

13. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

What was the cost of installation?

14. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Model S P85DL

About $2450

15. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

Plus tax on the parts. So in CA a little less than the jump seats + paint armor.

16. smd

smd Member

I think that install is about as good you can get with that type of system. Another way to look at is to start with paint armor for $950 and then replace each strip on the front or rear bumper as they get scratched up, so you could replace it about 15 times ($100 each?). The parking sensors help prevent YOU from hitting someone else, but it doesn't prevent others from parking by feel with your car in front of or behind theirs.

17. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

18. StevePro

StevePro Member

You forgot to snip the amazing response to the snip, about not being able to spell. Snip that!!

19. Mario

Mario Member

Wow very impressive! I hope Tesla takes note. I may indeed PM you for more info on the installer if I take a trip to northern california.
    Thanks for sharing!

20. imprezive

imprezive New Member

I agree. I had grim expectations coming in here but that looks better than some factory jobs.