Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking Sensor Installation Stories & Pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The inside display units are both the same shape and size and both have the lights which flash and sequence and change colors as you approach the object. The installer mounted the rear display just on the inside of the car before the hatch cover, so it is easily seen through the rear view mirror. We have parking sensors on our Lexus LS460L and for us (senior citizens) it is extremely useful. There are both visual and audio cues, with the audio signals getting more persistent the closer we are to the object. View attachment 17231View attachment 17232
Great job and valuable asset. I just wonder if you look in the rear view mirror or over your shoulder much any more, with that massive Rear camera screen, to notice those visual clues mounted in the back by the hatch? :confused:

Great job and valuable asset. I just wonder if you look in the rear view mirror or over your shoulder much any more, with that massive Rear camera screen, to notice those visual clues mounted in the back by the hatch? :confused:

Thanks, at age 67, I can't look over my shoulder as easily as some of the younger crowd here :). I do love to have the rear camera on all the time - going forward it eliminates the blind spots for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Can it detect curbs' proximity to the wheels? That's the main thing I struggle with. I'd love a sensor to warn me that my wheel is close to the curb.

That is still a problem. I don't get that curb sensing with my Lexus parking sensors either. When I start to get near a curb, I move the car height to the maximum height, or I just end up parking a foot or more away from the curb.

That is still a problem. I don't get that curb sensing with my Lexus parking sensors either. When I start to get near a curb, I move the car height to the maximum height, or I just end up parking a foot or more away from the curb.

What gets me most is the side clearance. I find myself in parking garage entrances or drive thrus that have curving drives with curbs along the side that I can barely navigate in the big S and I can't tell how close I am. I've thought how great it would be to have something that tells me when I'm about to rub up against the curb.

Anyway, thinking of doing this anyway. Thanks!

Al and Ed's installed the parking sensors in my Model S. The install was great. They were able to color match the sensors to my bumper (grey) and front nose cone (black). The front display is in the cubby next to the radar display and the rear display is mounted on the rear roof and visible in the rear view mirror or whan you turn to look through the rear window.

Great addition! I found that given the curves of the car it is not possible to see the edges of the car and therefore the sensors are very helpful.

My installer is using the sensor system from Crimestoppers. I think they are made by Steelmate. I had him put the front sensor display on top of the rear view mirror and it looks great there. Rear display is mounted in headliner near the rear hatch door so I can see it in the rearview mirror.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363529124.415063.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363529144.494627.jpg

P1117 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand the point of this when there's a high-def rear camera that has the bumper edge in-picture. ??? Radar will clearly have less resolution than that. The BMW system for instance maxes out at something like 1-foot. Just have to guess distance beyond that.

I don't understand the point of this when there's a high-def rear camera that has the bumper edge in-picture. ??? Radar will clearly have less resolution than that. The BMW system for instance maxes out at something like 1-foot. Just have to guess distance beyond that.

That only works well if you're approaching something directly behind you. It's not good if you're backing a corner of the car into an obstruction (another car, wall, etc.)--which I do daily to get out of my garage. Also, an auditory warning will stop you from doing something stupid, even if you're not paying much attention. You have to think to look at the camera image for it to be helpful.

Do these things make a sound if you get too close to something?

Yes they provide both audible and visible alert as you get closer to items in front and back. My front bumper install has a switch so that I can turn it off when I am in stop and go traffic. I would say these are nice additions but are probably not required. I went for it because I found that it is not possible to see the front or rear bumper from the driver seat.

Parking Sensors

image.jpg
Here are a couple of pictures of front and rear parking sensors I have had installed. Afraid not great pictures, will try to update. I had advantage that I have black car and sensors matched so did not have to paint. I have not included internal pictures as I opted not to have visual lights since they don't seem to add much value versus sound (unless of course we had big graphic ala BMW on the 17" display. Installed by Technik1 in NYC. Not cheap but approved dealer of Tesla and very familiar with Roadster and Model S.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    629.6 KB · Views: 538
I just had parking sensors installed in my MS. They are Cobra 0356/0358 (different sets of 4 each which look identical for front and back) and Cobra 0026/0027 front and rear display units (again different but look identical). They are made in Italy and come from Great Britain. Thanks to Dennis, I worked with a local SF Bay area installer who ordered and installed them. Took a total of 16 hours of labor, plus painting to match the front and rear bumpers (2 black and 2 grey in front and 4 grey in back). In the photo of the front, there is a sensor in the grey to the right and in the black to the left. I think they are pretty well camouflaged. What we wanted were sensors which can tell us which side of the car the object is located as well as how far away. The inside display units are both the same shape and size and both have the lights which flash and sequence and change colors as you approach the object. The installer mounted the rear display just on the inside of the car before the hatch cover, so it is easily seen through the rear view mirror. We have parking sensors on our Lexus LS460L and for us (senior citizens) it is extremely useful. There are both visual and audio cues, with the audio signals getting more persistent the closer we are to the object. The whole thing, including installation and parts was slightly less than the cost of jump seats and paint armor from Tesla. So far they are working great. This was the only thing that was making us hesitant about buying the Tesla. PM me if you want more information about the installer who is in Hayward, CA.

View attachment 17229View attachment 17230View attachment 17231View attachment 17232

Could you tell us who you used to do the installation? I also live in the Bay Area and am looking for something like this.