TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Parking sensor retrofit - $6000 ??

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by nkohlimd, Sep 25, 2013.

1. nkohlimd

nkohlimd Member

2. Benjamin Brooks

Not worth the money...

3. Beavis

Beavis Signature 991

I've driven without them for 34 years. I don't need to spend that much for them now.

4. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

hah, what a ripoff.

5. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

No thank you

6. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

If that's true I'll take the sensors and wires for $500 in parts thank you very much and have them installed by someone else.

That said, I can't see how this could possibly require $5500 in labor to install. At $125/hr that would be 44 hours. No way it could possibly take a week to install them.

7. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

Heh what a ripoff

8. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I think the main problem is that there's holes that has to be punched in the front/rear facias to make the sensors work and only Fremont has that machine.
    http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/12128-Parking-sensors/page20?p=398795&viewfull=1#post398795

Which means a retrofit will not only be the ~$500 in sensor/wire parts, but would also include the front and rear facias. The parts/labor and paint (will have to be matched to your car) on those two could easily put the cost to about $6k.

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

There were murmurings about a new bumper being flown out for the install.

10. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

I disagree. IMO to retrofit parking sensors on a very complex car like the Model S is not easy and is time consuming. You can certainly get parking sensors at a cheaper price on the after market but if you want parking sensors as they have been originally designed and produced by Tesla is not cheap. This is a general rule whenever you want to retrofit anything.

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I bet that DIY front camera is looking pretty good now!

12. kruecab

kruecab Member

While discussing this with a co-worker yesterday, she wisely commented:

If you think you need a parking sensor, you're too close!

She's not an owner - yet. But I'm working to convince her. She felt the car was far too special to be trying to cram it in a spot so small that a sensor is required. I like that thinking!

13. tomanik

tomanik Member

$6k seems hard to believe but if true would support the statement about needing new bumpers. Pretty much does away with it as a retrofit option in my mind.

14. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

hell, you're better off taking that money and getting lasik eye surgery. then you'll be able to see like a hawk and you won't need these parking sensors, and it'll save you half the cost too! it's a win/win!

15. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

Yeah, that is a "go away, kid" pricing. Kind of insulting.

16. artsci

artsci Sponsor

17. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

$6,000? If that turns out to be what Tesla charges then it is just plain obscene and downright punitive. It would make me start to believe the whole "be the best car company" and "have the best customer ownership experience" is all just an act and not authentic.

I'd pay $1,000 for a retrofit but that's it. I finalized my order two days before Tesla surprise-announced parking sensors. I remain very disappointed I couldn't get them without cancelling my order and paying $4,500 extra just to get the same car with them.

18. ddruz

ddruz Member

Artsci - Will you be keeping us up to date on the availability of this?

19. MarkR

MarkR Member

We have nearly identical stories. I finalized about a week prior to the availability of the new parking sensors and was unwilling to pay for all of the price increases in order to get the sensors. Some of Tesla's decisions appear to reflect poor planning.

In both our cases they lost revenue from the additional add-on that we were willing to pay for and created ill will without any benefit to Tesla. Maybe it was a foolish oversight or maybe some really stupid people are employed at Tesla. As an early adopter (2009) and a purchaser of two of their cars, I was pissed. As a stockholder, I'd want that decision maker demoted or fired.

20. Teriyaki88

Teriyaki88 Member

I could get into lots accidents, pay for my repairs without using insurance, and still have plenty of $$ left over. $6K is ridiculous!