Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensor retrofit - $6000 ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My aftermarket parking sensor installation cost about $2000, broken down as follows: $500 parts, $250 painting, 15 hours labor @ $85. The $6000 number from Tesla is probably $4250 parts (because of new front and rear fascias) and 10 hrs. labor @ $175. The only downside of the aftermarket install is that it does not provide the visual feedback you get with the OEM install, just different audio tones for front and rear sensors. You can find my original post with pics here.

$6000 is the, "we don't want to do it" price. Too bad an owner can't just buy and install the sensors (with a careful hand and a dremel tool) and have Tesla service hook up the wires and turn on the software.

Why do Tesla's or any sensor installation when a touchscreen front camera DIY solution is coming soon for less than about $600.

As shipped, the Model S is already the second easiest car to park that I've ever had (First prize goes to the DS-21). For $600 I'd think about it just to have the gimmick, for $6000, not on your Nelly.

To me it's pretty impressive that Tesla is even offering this option. Most car companies that come out with a factory option in a later production car would simply tell owners of earlier versions that they would happily take their car as a trade in on the purchase of a new car and that's it! $6K may be high but considering there is also probably new wire harnesses involved here too, it's no surprise it's going to be expensive when compared to the factory cost (which would simply use a different spec harness and bumper covers from the start).

Artsci - Will you be keeping us up to date on the availability of this?

As I'm in China for another week, no progress will be made until I return. But since all of the cables and connectors are in hand, the first weekend in October I'll be able to rig the front camera to the front of my car for a test that I can post. A week later I should have it operable so the camera can be switched from front to rear using Homelink on the touchscreen.

After that it will probably take a month or so to produce a kit for interested owners.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the following solution? nVISION 60100VA Back Up Sensor System. One of the challenges is that it needs a 12v power source. Has anyone removed a back tail light? most of my parking situations are straight on so i dont need four sensors spaced throughout the bumper. thanks

This thread is ridiculous, because it is based on a false premise that Tesla has announced a retrofit and it's going to cost $6000. Even the original quote in no way said that this was going to be the price they would charge for the retrofit, in fact it said they wouldn't offer it. The quote from the original thread: "So, i heard back from Peter Welch. He said they looked at the retrofit and determined it would cost $6000. A little hard to believe. However at that cost they decided not to offer it."

the post on the TM site references a "Peter Welch" that said $6K. I never heard of him... Who is this and what does he do at tesla.

This thread is ridiculous, because it is based on a false premise that Tesla has announced a retrofit and it's going to cost $6000. Even the original quote in no way said that this was going to be the price they would charge for the retrofit, in fact it said they wouldn't offer it. The quote from the original thread: "So, i heard back from Peter Welch. He said they looked at the retrofit and determined it would cost $6000. A little hard to believe. However at that cost they decided not to offer it."
Exactly, I want a response from an authoritative source, not someone I've never heard of.

As shipped, the Model S is already the second easiest car to park that I've ever had (First prize goes to the DS-21). For $600 I'd think about it just to have the gimmick, for $6000, not on your Nelly.
Is it? I had a hell of a time getting them in and out of the Santana Row parking spots in CA. The Tesla employee on my test drive told me they don't even usually let people park them after test drives because they're so hard to get into the spots. The turning radius seemed somewhat acceptable, but that front overhang is huge.

And I'm coming from an AWD car with the turning radius of a dump truck, so I'm used to poor parking ability.

Is it? I had a hell of a time getting them in and out of the Santana Row parking spots in CA. The Tesla employee on my test drive told me they don't even usually let people park them after test drives because they're so hard to get into the spots. The turning radius seemed somewhat acceptable, but that front overhang is huge.

I find parking it totally easy. You just line up the car with the mirrors and stop when the curb is at the bottom of the screen. Perfect every time.

I think straight in parking isn't too bad but parallel parking can be tougher (long wide car).

Backing at an angle to a wall for example is tricky since the camera doesn't cover the edges of the bumper -- I find it hard to tell if the rear corners of the car would hit a wall when backing in in these situations, especially in a dark garage. Sensors would definitely be welcome there.

The front camera I installed makes pulling up to curbs and concrete stoppers much less nerve wracking. Parking sensors won't help with that.

I'll reserve judgement until the price is actually announced. Since $6k is being floated now, if the final price is closer to $3000 I'd bet there will be fewer complaints than if no "leaked" price occurred.

I have to ask a question because I am confused.

If you bought the sensors on your own. Installed on your own (dremel tool... aftermarket shop... whatever). Dont they just plug into the harness?? ...meaning: cant they just turn on the software and you are good to go?

Has anybody considered one of these?

http://www.curb-alert.com/features.php

I just came across one for sale on eBay for $150. Curious to know if that might be a reasonable alternative...
That looks interesting. I have just sent a query asking about experience with a model S.

I am sort of concerned about the turn on/off procedure. The unit turns on when an ICE alternator is running, and off 20 minutes after the alternator stops turning. I don't know when the MS charges the 12 battery. As needed? When the car is turned on?

The curb alert device only helps with low lying objects but it won't help with objects like the bumper of the car in front of you where there's just space under the car and no object on the ground to detect, but the bumper looms above. A front facing camera can show you both of these things.

I have to ask a question because I am confused.

If you bought the sensors on your own. Installed on your own (dremel tool... aftermarket shop... whatever). Dont they just plug into the harness?? ...meaning: cant they just turn on the software and you are good to go?

Yes, that should be the fall-back case. Buy the parts from Tesla ($500), drill your own holes in the bumper (this talk of having to buy a new bumper is ridiculous) and run the wires, then pay Tesla a half hour of labor to recode the car to enable the sensors.

Even if it is 6k, shouldn't the resale value of your car go up a couple grand at least since any car with the same specs originally sold for 4500 more?

I don't think that will be the case .... since this EV thing is still unknown and its currently a $500 option ... it seems Mileage would be the greatest factor in determining value (I would figure age of car should play a role too).