Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensor retrofit - $6000 ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find parking it totally easy. You just line up the car with the mirrors and stop when the curb is at the bottom of the screen. Perfect every time.
Maybe backing in is easier. They had me park head-first. That and I've only driven the car a few times and was somewhat nervous about smashing up $300k of cars that aren't mine. If you could swing wide I think it would be easier, but the valet pylons are there so you have to stay in the lane directly adjacent to the spots. Not a lot of room.

I wasn't the only one, though. All of the customer cars were crooked both times I was there save for the one spot not obstructed by the pylons.

I would think if you have the resale value guarantee from Tesla you could recoup 43% of the cost of installation. On the guarantee it says 43% on all options so if you get this dealer installed I would think this is an option. On the
Even if it is 6k, shouldn't the resale value of your car go up a couple grand at least since any car with the same specs originally sold for 4500 more?

Not worth it, but I understand that Tesla will have to charge to get it done correctly. I will be going with an aftermarket front camera that will cost a lot less than 6k. Plus I'm more of a visual type than to rely on the beeps

Tesla is already offering fog light retrofits, but nothing in terms of the parking sensors. I believe this speaks volumes. The parking sensors will NOT be offered as a retrofit at any price. I think we should stop hoping for something that will never happen. It's been 2 months now since the options changed over. Tesla said that if a retrofit option were to be offered, we would know in a few weeks. Those weeks have come and gone.

Can we move on? :)

Tesla is already offering fog light retrofits, but nothing in terms of the parking sensors. I believe this speaks volumes. The parking sensors will NOT be offered as a retrofit at any price. I think we should stop hoping for something that will never happen. It's been 2 months now since the options changed over. Tesla said that if a retrofit option were to be offered, we would know in a few weeks. Those weeks have come and gone.

Where did you see this? Do you happen to know price?

No, I don't. I did talked with the factory service group last week, and a man told me that they will release info soon. He also recommended that owners who are interested in having the Parking Assist option retrofitted should contact Tesla to let their desires known.

Where did you see this? Do you happen to know price?

Several others in the forums have indicated that they are receiving the fog lights at the service center. They are integrated into the whole turning light assembly and are a simple swap, however the bumper needs to be removed in order to make the change. I don't know what the cost is for the retrofit.

Last edited:
My apologies, I have corrected my previous post. I've had a few service bulletins applied to my car as well as a number of issues corrected after delivery, I think I was just confused. I have the cornering lights, but those presumably are not the new fog lights. My dog and best friend of 13 years passed away on Sunday and I've been in somewhat of a fog for the last few days. Participating in this forum and the one at Teslamotors has provided me with some escapist relief, but in the shock of the loss I'm noticing that I'm confusing facts and events that have taken place recently.

Vin isn't a fully utilizable indicator, my vin is much higher, but because we ordered before the cut off date for the fog lights (and my email communication with tesla strongly indicates a cut off date), I was able to get it retrofitted for free. That date appears to be sometime in February, and I ordered in January.

Spoke with Ownership the other day and I was told that they ARE going to be made available as a retrofit.The company is still collecting names of owners interested in the retrofit. No word yet on WHEN, however.

I told the Ownership person to consider just selling the damn parts and letting us do it ourselves. Ownership told me, well the problem is only the Tesla factory has the proper drills for cutting holes in the bumpers, and that the Service Centers won't be able to do it. So I said, okay, you tell me when, and i will drive up to Fremont the second I get word. It's 500 miles. It's nothing. I don't think Ownership was expecting me to say this. But I'm serious.

Unfortunately, I did also get the sense that it is going to be so expensive as to be pointless. Maybe not $6000 expensive, but expensive. That's all I know.

okay, you tell me when, and i will drive up to Fremont the second I get word. It's 500 miles. It's nothing. I don't think Ownership was expecting me to say this. But I'm serious.
Tell them you're not alone on this. I'd probably have to coordinate with vacation, but for thousands in cost differential it's a no-brainer to make the drive down there.