Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensor retrofit - $6000 ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it will be the same cost for everyone whether they live near or far or drive their own car here.... Maybe we are all subsidizing the transportation costs of others vehicles again.
Honestly, I thought I might get something out of the Ranger part of my service plan for stuff like this. I guess not. : |

Tesla is already offering fog light retrofits, but nothing in terms of the parking sensors. I believe this speaks volumes. The parking sensors will NOT be offered as a retrofit at any price. I think we should stop hoping for something that will never happen. It's been 2 months now since the options changed over. Tesla said that if a retrofit option were to be offered, we would know in a few weeks. Those weeks have come and gone.

Can we move on? :)

Spoke with Ownership the other day and I was told that they ARE going to be made available as a retrofit.The company is still collecting names of owners interested in the retrofit. No word yet on WHEN, however.

I told the Ownership person to consider just selling the damn parts and letting us do it ourselves. Ownership told me, well the problem is only the Tesla factory has the proper drills for cutting holes in the bumpers, and that the Service Centers won't be able to do it. So I said, okay, you tell me when, and i will drive up to Fremont the second I get word. It's 500 miles. It's nothing. I don't think Ownership was expecting me to say this. But I'm serious.

Unfortunately, I did also get the sense that it is going to be so expensive as to be pointless. Maybe not $6000 expensive, but expensive. That's all I know.

They:confused: So just to be clear you were speaking of Parking sensors and not Fog lights (this thread did go off topic for the last few posts)

They:confused: So just to be clear you were speaking of Parking sensors and not Fog lights (this thread did go off topic for the last few posts)

Yes, sorry it wasn't clear -- I talked to Ownership about Parking Sensors.

What happened was, I emailed 'em to ask if there were any update yet. I got back a boilerplate email that, well, let's just say it was kind of an insult to my intelligence. It talked about how owners who had confirmed orders before August 2013 blah blah blah. I wrote back and told them, no, this is no good, I ordered my car on July 19, and confirmed around Aug 1, and within 48 hours, Parking Sensors were quietly introduced on the website, and I immediately contacted Tesla and was told in no uncertain terms, tough luck, cancel your order, pay $4500 for the same car with $500 sensors, ha ha.

Further, I told 'em this time, nope, nuh-uh, not gonna accept this as an explanation or as an answer. Please try again.

Next thing i know, Ownership is calling me . . .

RUMOR ALERT: heard from someone connected to Tesla: .. parts for sensors (8) and module will be $1500, but they cannot order as of yet. No estimate on price to install ...

I sure hope this doesn't prove to be true. Lame that buying the parts on the production line cost $500 (labor would be close to $0), but having the same parts put in a box and shipped to you or your service center adds $1000. That would be a hellova markup for shipping and handling.

I had aftermarket front/rear bumper sensors with internal displays several months ago. Absolutely looks like a factory install and works great. Total under $1500. Also had a front curb sensor installed. Around $300.

Parking sensors which require an additional internal display of any kind cannot, by definition, look like a factory install. A factory install does not require additional and ugly monitors to be installed.

Parking sensors which require an additional internal display of any kind cannot, by definition, look like a factory install. A factory install does not require additional and ugly monitors to be installed.

"Ugly monitors" may be a bit subjective :). While I certainly would have ordered the parking sensors were they an option when I configured my car, I ended up doing an aftermarket install that uses displays similar to the Mercedes Parktronic system. I actually prefer it since when I am backing up I prefer checking behind me and thus see the display on the headliner, and wouldn't see the visual cues of the OEM system. Granted, you'd still hear any audible cues but I much prefer using a display.

I emailed Ownership in early August, and got a reply from John Crick: "While we do not have retrofit pricing for existing owners, we should have more information over the next several weeks."

I just followed up with him, and specifically asked to be added to the "interest list." He wrote back (impressively, within about half an hour, and on a Sunday). Unfortunately, though, here was his reply:

"Thank you for the follow up. There is no update at this time. We will note your interest for management. Wish I had better information."

I feel strongly that there is no reason the retrofit kit should cost more than the $500 it is as an option. Labor they can argue the point on but if they charged more than $500 for the kit I would expect some reasonable explanation for it. I am sure they may need some parts that are not already in place, but i cant fathom that it would be anywhere close to three times the cost just for the parts. That gives buyers the option of installing it themselves if they want to with only a simple programming update by tesla to activate them if the software is not already included with the latest version of the software. I am sure they are making a tidy profit at $500 and this would open up potentially thousands of additional sales to existing owners.

posted WITHOUT permission, mainly because all of the info is well known in this thread, got this from ownership:
Thank you for contacting Tesla, I am happy to provide you with the latest information regarding the Parking Sensor Upgrade Retrofit. We are looking at different ways to make this option available. To share a little more detail around the process, I've included more details on the challenges we face with the retrofit process, below.

Our engineering and product teams have designed parking sensors on Model S to be mounted flush to the front and rear fascia, without a bezel. To accomplish this task, extremely accurate holes in the fascia are required. The way in which we achieve this requirement, is the use of a unique and expensive sonic punch machine. This machine is located in our Fremont production facility. Therefore, at the moment, the only way to retrofit parking sensors to existing vehicles would require replacing the front and rear fascia. This replacement would be quite expensive and not very efficient. With that said, we are currently looking for ways to have a high quality and efficient retrofit solution.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Couldn't there be an option to take your car out of service for two weeks, and send the parts out to be cut at the factory? Shipping plastic would have to be significantly less than buying new pieces.
I am planning. A road trip to California next year, I would love if they kept the car for a few days and did the work. Little chance of that happening but wishful thinking.