Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensor retrofit - $6000 ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rationalized the cost breakdown as Tesla insisting on installing brand new parts instead of drilling holes and modifying current body parts and then it's basically plug/play after a couple hours of labor.
I think most of us think about utilizing the current body parts and modifying them, which results in more labor costs and less costs for parts, but may compromise the integrity of the parts overall.

I rationalized the cost breakdown as Tesla insisting on installing brand new parts instead of drilling holes and modifying current body parts and then it's basically plug/play after a couple hours of labor.
I think most of us think about utilizing the current body parts and modifying them, which results in more labor costs and less costs for parts, but may compromise the integrity of the parts overall.

Please see if you can get the parts list. I would be very interested to see what they have to replace.

Friend of mine owns a Signature.. received a quote for $5k (1k labor and 5k parts) for a retrofit. He's getting it installed anyday now in San Diego.
Interesting, prior posts have said that cars earlier than June/July 2013 don't have the correct wiring harness. If a Signature is getting the upgrade then it should be possible with late 2012/early 2013 produced vehicles.

Interesting, prior posts have said that cars earlier than June/July 2013 don't have the correct wiring harness. If a Signature is getting the upgrade then it should be possible with late 2012/early 2013 produced vehicles.

I spoke with my service rep at our local service center a couple weeks ago, and asked him about the wiring harnesses. He said that the early cars (signatures and some early non-sig VINs) had the full wiring harness, because they were only installing one kind of harness at the time. As production efficiency has improved, they started installing different harnesses based on the ordered configuration of the car. So if the car was ordered without parking sensors, it would get a harness that didn't have unnecessary/unused wiring. He also said that now, if a car is ordered without the parking sensors, it's not possible to install later (because they put in the non-sensor-ready harness).

Perhaps when the non-sensor harness became available, but before it was possible to order a car with sensors, they assumed nobody would want to upgrade, and just put in the non-sensor harness in all those vehicles. He said he did not know what the VIN breakpoint was when they started using the pared-down harness.

Here is what I know........

New parts

Part numberDescriptionRetailQty
Subtotal
1014386-00-AECU, PARK ASSIST$214.501
$214.50
1008903-00-BBRACKET, PARK ASSIST/BLINDSPOT ECU$9.521
$9.52
1006521-00-ARVT PUSH-PULL 8X18X20.0$2.166
$12.96
1013805-00-ANUT,t5,HF,PLASTIC,THREADED$0.904
$3.60
1014388-00-ASENSOR,PARK ASSIST-Unpainted,KTL+primer$98.508
$788.00
1014395-01-ARETAINER RING, DECOUPLING, BLACK$0.7220-8 depending on vehicle color$1.44
1014395-00-ARETAINER RING, DECOUPLING, CLEAR$0.7260-6 depending on vehicle color$4.32
1030348-00-AUPA FRONT FASCIA SERVICE KIT$900.001
$900.00
1030350-00-AUPA REAR FASCIA SERVICE KIT$900.001
$900.00
1004420-03-HFront Harness$98.401
$98.40
1004421-03-HRear Harness$58.921
$58.92
1030076-00-AASY,HARN,PKA SERVICE KIT$25.001
$25.00
1017412-02-AASY CTR APPLIQUE FR FASCIA NA W/ UPA$450.001For EU change to 1017412-03-A$450.00
1017414-00-DFR FASCIA BRIGHT CARRIER$125.001AS NEEDED (pre VinP01550)$125.00
6005884-00-HASSY - BUMPER SYSTEM FR NA$375.001AS NEEDED (pre VinP01550)$375.00

Sub Total$3,966.66

I'm begging y local service center to allow just that. Honestly I'm not sure why there's hesitation -- if the owner is willing to take chance and get the existing bumpers drilled, then why not allow this? They certainly aren't doing us any favors for the markup on the parking sensor components, plus we'd pay the labour to install them.

The only issue I see is trying to protect the brand: if you end up doing a bad cosmetic job, maybe people will think that Teslas are of bad quality. That said, I'd venture the risk of a non factory look goes up when people source out third party options.

Does anyone know if there anything special about the holes? I'd imagine they are simply holes and not some fancy hole with some sort of inner ledge,etc?

I lost a lot of interest with the price and have no interest after the posts from snow infested area reports of non function in snow. This is in contrast to other sensors that work in snowy areas. California strikes again. Maybe they will change the design or I will go aftermarket.

I lost a lot of interest with the price and have no interest after the posts from snow infested area reports of non function in snow. This is in contrast to other sensors that work in snowy areas. California strikes again. Maybe they will change the design or I will go aftermarket.

+1 - I like your "California strikes again" expression. We have a fully loaded Volt and parking sensors work perfectly with ice or snow.

I hope Tesla will improve them by the time I trade my P85 for an upcoming AWD version.

Parking sensor retrofit quote

I am sitting on the quote in hand. It came out to be about $7447.49. The paint work alone was $2500 for front and rear bumpers. I really would like to see TM come out with a more aggressive program... even if it is after market supported.

Yeah, I still don't get this. It's a $500 option, so the parts should be available for $500, $1000 tops. Aftermarket installation for this sort of thing typically runs $1000. This should be a $1500 - $2000 retrofit, or a $500 parts purchase and a "go find an aftermarket installer of your choice."

Emailing ownership in 3... 2... 1...

It's a good way for the service centers to make money by offering upgrades for earlier purchasers. Cheaper if I pay someone to go beep beep beep when I park.

Do you mind posting the quote to see what parts are needed? Maybe you can do it yourself and have them activate it afterwards.

I am sitting on the quote in hand. It came out to be about $7447.49. The paint work alone was $2500 for front and rear bumpers. I really would like to see TM come out with a more aggressive program... even if it is after market supported.

At $7447 it would probably be cheaper to sell my Model S (still under 6K miles) and buy one with parking sensors. Way cheaper, I'm guessing. It is a scenario I have contemplated.

And that's the kind of thinking Tesla wants. Every time they sell a new car they get $35k in ZEV credits... So if they price the retrofits absurdly high people that really want them will just sell their current vehicle and buy a new one.

At $7447 it would probably be cheaper to sell my Model S (still under 6K miles) and buy one with parking sensors. Way cheaper, I'm guessing. It is a scenario I have contemplated.

Hmmm. Maybe. There is a crossover where someone buying a used Tesla will be willing to walk away from the tax break for a new S purchase. While, buying a new car means eating the sales tax.