TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Parking sensors and rear-end collisions

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by grichard, Dec 28, 2015.

1. grichard

grichard Member De-Luxe

Oct 2, 2015
    St. Louis, MO
    My wife just had a peculiar accident (fortunately without any damage) in our MS. Although she seems to have been responsible, it seems like something that could be avoided with a minor tweak to the car's software.

She was stopped at a light on a slight uphill gradient, with the hill-hold keeping the car still. She accidentally hit the brake pedal lightly. The hill-hold released, and the car rolled backward to hit the car behind her--fortunately at low speed.

She says that she didn't hear any beeps before this happened. I guess this makes sense. I think the rear parking-assist chimes are selectively active when the car is in reverse. You probably wouldn't want the car to chime when somebody pulls up close behind you at a red light. So suppressing the chimes when the car is in drive is logical.

If this is correct, perhaps the system could be improved by having the rear warning chimes go off when the car is in reverse OR actually moving backward. (Without creep, the car rolling backward while in drive is a more-common possibility than with ICEs.)

I haven't had this vehicle for very long. Do I understand the way it works correctly? Does this logic seem sound?
  2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Mar 8, 2012
    In forums for cars that have that kind of beep, the number one question is how to turn it off, so I think there will be resistance to a beep (wouldn't mind it myself as it saved me a couple of times in the Prius). You can put the car in creep mode which will help prevent most of that behaviour.
  3. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Apr 8, 2015
    OP: it's not a bad idea, but I wouldn't put it high on Tesla's priority list. Shoot them an email and see what they say.

Too bad Tesla doesn't have a 17" display which can allow the owner to configure each option and too bad they can't add a toggle for "beep on" "beep off" to make everyone happy ;)