Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking Sensors - Any Aftermarket Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

astrotoy

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2013
SF Bay Area
My Model S is scheduled for delivery between Jan 22 and Feb 5 (obviously it didn't make the first date). We really like the parking sensors on our Lexus LS460L, not so much the automatic parallel parking. Since the Model S is 5 inches wider than the LS460L, we think the Model S would benefit even more from parking sensors. We also have the rear view camera on the LS460L and find the parking sensors are very useful even with the camera. BTW, we are both senior citizens and our vision and reaction times are not as good as most of you.

Has anyone had aftermarket sensors installed (we would like them on both the front and rear) and is there a recommendation for a specific brand or model?

Thanks, Larry

Has anyone had aftermarket sensors installed (we would like them on both the front and rear) and is there a recommendation for a specific brand or model?

I had aftermarket sensors made by Cobra installed about a month ago and I am very happy with them. I owned a Lexus LS600hL and these Cobra ones perform equivalently to the Lexus OEM sensors.

The details of my install, including pics, can be found on this post. The Tesla folks who have seen my car have commented that my aftermarket sensors look like a factory install, which is because of the attention to detail exhibited by the installer. PM me for pricing information if you are interested.

I had front and rear parking sensors installed by Al and Ed's in West Hollywood. They were able to color match the bumper and nose cone. The installation looks like a factory install. The only thing that would be better would have been if it had been possible to integrate into the Tesla display system. Hopefully someday, just like an Ipad, we will be able to download Tesla approved Apps to integrate these devices.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I just installed the curb alert mini. It works great. There are a number of different models. I ordered the universal kit first to find it is looking for 13 + volts to turn on. Cleaver if you have an ICE with an alternator, after a call to the factory they sent me an EV model which works fine off 12 volts. They said they where going to update their website to include the EV model. The installation was easy there are a number of different brackets that are supplied with the unit. I used the curved bracket with the longer neck. I cut a hole in the bottom plastic grill (with drimmel or wire cutters) and slipped the unit and bracket into the hole I then wiggled the bracket back out through the top of the black plastic grill and stuck it with the trim tape attached to it, to the painted surface above the black grill. I made a spacer cut from one of the unused brackets (a small rectangle piece with the trim tape attached) and used this to level the bracket on the underside of the painted surface before I stuck the sensor on. . The sensor sticks out through the hole I cut in the black grill and gives 2 beeps as I approach the curb. I think it works well and I haven't hit a parking front curb yet. It is unobtrusive mounted this way. If you try to mount it without cutting a hole in the grill it may stick out to much, the factory recommends if that is the case then you should mount the sensor underneath the car between the front wheels.
When running the wires back into the inside of the model s there is a plastic knockout which is above and to the left of the brake pedal that runs through the firewall. This can also be accessed from the drivers side wheel well area going in from the frunk after you remove the long plastic cover that runs from the drivers window to the front grill area. Power can come from the yellow wire in the wiring loom left of the drivers left foot.

I just installed these http://www.parkingdynamics.co.uk parking sensors on my Porsche Sypder yesterday and they work great. No integrated display like Tesla's, but the beeping and full bumper protection are otherwise the same... and no holes to drill! The Tesla will be here in November and these will be added right away (got in on pre-price adjustment so would have been over $7k more to add the factory version).