Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensors don't report (or see?) low parking lot curbs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One trick to use if pulling perpendicular into a parking spot is to watch for the curb under the driver side mirror. Once you see it come into view under the bottom edge of the driver side mirror, stop and you should be a couple inches away from the curb.
That happens to work for you with your seat position. For me in my seat position if I'd do that I'd be about a foot past the curb :)

I have a 2015 S with air suspension and the front end detectors absolutely don't report low curbs ( 5" or less?)/wheel stops and the the front end will clear them. However, on reentering the car the front end is now resting on them (see extensive threads on this mysterious "settling" with air suspension), and I'll hear a scrape on backing out (but it's just black plastic, right? No big deal?) We'll, yesterday my entire front bumper popped out when I went into reverse. Yes, I cried. So if you're hearing that scrape routine in certain lots: always raise the suspension before backing out, or always back in, so you can see what you're doing. I know people will suggest I just don't overhang a curb, but I can't see the dang curb.

Here's that gory picture-after parking overhanging a curb

Attachments

• IMG_9871.JPG
    IMG_9871.JPG
    611.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Informative
Reactions: Lu Ann
A lot of parking lots have curbs/barriers at the front of the spots that are about 6" high. The parking sensors don't report these, presumably because the beam is going over it. I'm not sure how that could be fixed, but it's a problem. I wish there were a front camera that could see the ground in front of the car.

Perhaps when the car was far enough back to see the curbs it could remember where they were and as the car moved show on the display where they are relative to the current position of the car.

With another Tesla owner I helped develop a front camera switch that uses an 2nd Tesla rear camera on the front of the car and a PCB that enables shfting from one to the other. As a result you can see on the touch screen any low obstacles that might damage the front of the car. We initially made 100 kits and sold out, but there's been enough interest that well produce them again. We're working out the production details now and anticipate availability in 4-6 months.

Reactions: CalBlue 85D