Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensors - P85D/ AP hardware equipped cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This likely applies to all cars that have the new autopilot hardware.

My car has additional parking sensors on the front wheel arches, compared to my relative's p85 without autopilot hardware. It appears the parking sensor software has not been update to account for the fact that these point to the side; I.e. When I pull into my garage I know the front is clear although there is some clutter along the side of the garage, the parking sensor tells me to stop as it is detecting something although it is not in front of the car, but to the side. Anyone else experience this?

I am hoping they will update this as it generally makes the front parking sensors unreliable in a somewhat confined space.

Additionally, why don't the front parking sensors activate when the car is in reverse? I have no idea if I'm going to turn the front wheels and bump a low object while reversing.

This has also likely been asked before but I couldn't find, why no digital directional lines on the reverse camera? That seems like a fundamentally simple miss.

Anyone else experience this?

I am hoping they will update this as it generally makes the front parking sensors unreliable in a somewhat confined space.

I find the parking sensors to be a bit flaky, tbh. I sometimes get the red stop warning without any prior yellow or distance countdown when in fact I have a reasonably good amount of room on all sides. It works pretty well for objects directly in front or in back, but objects at the corners seem to confuse it. I'm hoping that a future software upgrade will improve that. I've also found that it gets confused when the road angles down -- if I park at the foot of my relatively steep driveway short of the road, it sees the road as an obsticle and insists that I shouldn't proceed.

This has also likely been asked before but I couldn't find, why no digital directional lines on the reverse camera? That seems like a fundamentally simple miss.

There are many threads on this question. I can say that the camera window is being generated in an entirely different fashion that the rest of the display and appears to be a direct write to the screen instead of being processed by a normal graphics engine. I'm guessing this leads to the side effect of not being able to generate a graphic overlay, but one would think that is a solvable problem. There are many many calls for that feature over the life of the car on both forums.

It only took me to the second entry into my garage (Chicago alley, lined with garbage cans; a two point exit with inches to spare to brick walls) to turn off "parking assist chimes". Like @letsgofast said, sometimes the parking sensors would go off for no particular reason... I mean I'm sure they saw something, but it wasn't anything I didn't see first.

Also... if we have front cameras, why not show that on the dash too? I'd love to know where the parking stops are in lots, etc.

It only took me to the second entry into my garage (Chicago alley, lined with garbage cans; a two point exit with inches to spare to brick walls) to turn off "parking assist chimes". Like @letsgofast said, sometimes the parking sensors would go off for no particular reason... I mean I'm sure they saw something, but it wasn't anything I didn't see first.

Also... if we have front cameras, why not show that on the dash too? I'd love to know where the parking stops are in lots, etc.

I know in front we've got the camera behind the mirror on the windshield, don't know that it would be any more helpful. Is there another front facing camera on the grill? What is the little rectangular thingy just above the spoiler on the front grill anyway?

My wife's truck has the top view surround cameras and they are quite useful.