Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensors. Please help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

Taking delivery of a model y at the end of this month.

Test drove one last week. Had to sell the car to my wife and she'll be the main driver. Obviously told her the safety features are amazing, cameras everywhere blah blah

She asked has it got parking sensors. Of course I said and the one we test drove did and showed graphically on the screen when close to an object.

I had read the new ones won't have ultrasonic but had assumed the camera tech will replace this as every car has sensors. It appears I'm mistaken and it literally has no parking sensors!

I may have to cancel my lease order now as I just don't see this as workable especially for my wife who says they are a must have.

Is there a possibility the car I get could have them?

Thanks

Reactions: UtahRider
This whole USS talk is driving me nuts. Before USS we all knew how to gauge and park our cars without the aid of tech. All my car, including the two that I currently have do not have USS and my wife and myself are still able to park our cars just fine. People please just use the camera's for the time being, at least those work just fine.

Sorry for bitching but this whole USS thing has been beaten to death just about enough. Pretty sure they will implement it soon.

It's unlikely it will have USS. Once you have them it's very difficult to live without them. Tesla has to do better with rolling out such changes.

Taking features away and then promising they will return at some unknown point in the future is not good business.

With that said there are some good financial incentives for taking delivery by 12/31/22.

Reactions: EVChris and sfRonH
This whole USS talk is driving me nuts. Before USS we all knew how to gauge and park our cars without the aid of tech. All my car, including the two that I currently have do not have USS and my wife and myself are still able to park our cars just fine. People please just use the camera's for the time being, at least those work just fine.

Sorry for bitching but this whole USS thing has been beaten to death just about enough. Pretty sure they will implement it soon.
True. I also owned three cars beforehand without backup cameras. Parallel parked my own car using (gasp) mirrors.

… But these weren’t $70k cars and it wasn’t the 21st century.

If I am buying a 50K car from what some people call a “software company not a car company that prioritizes safety and what not” and that car is missing such a widely implemented feature because bad logistic and transitional planning I would be pissed too.

If I didn’t care about all of these features I would go buy an old car and call it a day. People need to stop taking defensive stands against these complains, they are valid.

What’s next? Will they remove wipers and promise a future update for self cleaning windshields? But in the meantime, don’t drive in the rain and clean your windshield every 20 minutes.

If I am buying a 50K car from what some people call a “software company not a car company that prioritizes safety and what not” and that car is missing such a widely implemented feature because bad logistic and transitional planning I would be pissed too.

If I didn’t care about all of these features I would go buy an old car and call it a day. People need to stop taking defensive stands against these complains, they are valid.

What’s next? Will they remove wipers and promise a future update for self cleaning windshields? But in the meantime, don’t drive in the rain and clean your windshield every 20 minutes.
$50k? Hah, I wish. More like $70 out the door.

Btw windshield wipers are for suckers. Didn’t the cybertruck not have rear view mirrors initially too? Folks should just look forward. 😝

Btw, the defensive stands are kinda humorous to watch. See how they justify this and that… reminds me of…..

Reactions: boulder.dude
Btw windshield wipers are for suckers. Didn’t the cybertruck not have rear view mirrors initially too? Folks should just look forward. 😝
Btw, the defensive stands are kinda humorous to watch. See how they justify this and that… reminds me of…..

Ha, true, I was being forgiving with the price.

Hey, if they have the technology to replace wipers and side mirrors I am all for it, but don’t take them away before that’s finalized….

But maybe I just need to stop using my model Y the wrong way lol.

Reactions: Mike7564

Caveat Empore
You are free to purchase or not. It's your call, and responsibility.
There's no free lunch.

… or caveat emptor

Second paragraph here may be of interest:

Seems like I have a decision to make on this. Car is due on the 30th December and the free 6000 miles is very attractive.

I had known about the USS removal but when I went on a test drive I had assumed what I was seeing was based on Tesla vision. It was clearly just an older model with USS. Obviously the sales guy didn't mention it 🤔

Do I want to be stuck with a car for 3 years without USS. Tough call when Tesla give no guarantee on what "coming soon" means and there have been no leaks on how the tech works.

Agree with the responses above. Just because we didn't have something 30 years ago doesn't mean it is ok to take it away now. Crazy logic.

Reactions: Big Moe

Why all this trash talking about Tesla. If you don’t like it or you cannot afford it Just move on.

Last edited:
select a car from inventory. specify it has sensors.
you get 3750 discount, 10,000 free Supercharger miles
I second this...look for a 2022 in inventory or if lucky there are a few weeks of 2023 production from the last couple weeks of October that have USS still.

Your SA should be able to look up the details using the VINs of available cars.

Reactions: boulder.dude
Why all this trash talking about Tesla. If you don’t like it or you cannot afford it Just move on.
I give Tesla praises when it’s due. But Teslas would still have bad built quality and terrible service centers among other things if it wasn’t because customers valid complains.

Not everything is trash talking. A product doesn’t improve or get better if no one points out the obvious mistakes and flaws.

Before USS we all knew how to gauge and park our cars without the aid of tech.
Even before USS people relied on other high tech parking aids
Screenshot_20221219_063949_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum but just to point out that we don't have to only talk positively about Tesla, we also don't restrict folks based on earnings ;)
Stick around, you'll see there are many viewpoints and "robust" debate.
Most of it isn't trash talking, but if there is then the block is your friend. :cool: