Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensors. Please help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BINGO! and plenty of people have always had trouble parking. How about less judgment: just because some of you/us are great parkers, doesn’t mean everyone is like you (thanks for that, considering the arrogance and impatience)
the truth is that judging where the front end of the MY is can be difficult, because the trunk slopes off quickly and the nose isn't visible to the driver.
the driver needs to be conservative and pay attention.
it's not difficult, but it does require attention.

unfortunately, Tesla hasn't had the USS replacement ready to go at the same time they cut the cord on them.
That's on Tesla.

But whining on this blog is going to solve the problem? enough already.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
But whining on this blog is going to solve the problem?
I also used to think whinning on TMC does nothing in terms of actions from Tesla. Now after the introduction of steering wheel options for the S I am sure it does help. There's no better place to let Tesla know things than TMC. You can't talk to Tesla directly, but they made a change based on all the winning. Therefore, Tesla must be monitoring TMC!

• Funny
Reactions: boulder.dude
the truth is that judging where the front end of the MY is can be difficult, because the trunk slopes off quickly and the nose isn't visible to the driver.
the driver needs to be conservative and pay attention.
it's not difficult, but it does require attention.

unfortunately, Tesla hasn't had the USS replacement ready to go at the same time they cut the cord on them.
That's on Tesla.

But whining on this blog is going to solve the problem? enough already.
I think a camera's image can detect range to within a couple of feet. The backup camera shows distance lines. My DSLR shows distance for crying out loud. I feel that this technology is good enough to add warnings. There's a blind-spot monitor that will squeal if you get close to a car in the next lane. So why not add blind-spot warning before you're about to hit the car? They're usually embedded in the side mirror, but if Tesla won't do that, then how about a special noise from the display instead.

I'm prepared for the possibility that Elon abandons us without USS and fails to add the warnings. I picked up the car with fingers crossed that he meant the "coming soon," and it doesn't seem that hard to accomplish. The camera almost detects the wall in my garage, ditto trees and light poles in a parking lot. I'm guessing the occupancy network ignores those.

My display showed an intermittent image of a human while parked in front of a lamp post. In my garage it sees the door into the house as a truck! It flickers, but it's there. So I wonder what it takes to add more stationery objects to the ON when you're under 5 mph.

Would a bird’s eye view of your MY, displayed on the screen, showing everything around the car, like other OEMs have, alleviate your concerns?

Why is this so hard for Tesla to get done already, I don’t get it!
They are missing one important thing....a front bumper camera. The windshield front facing camera can't get a view of down low in front of the bumper. This is why they can't create a perfect 360 view. I'm sure they could give us a partial 360 view with a bit of a front blindspot if they wanted to. Maybe they don't because they don't want to be ridiculed for a half-baked implementation.

If I am buying a 50K car from what some people call a “software company not a car company that prioritizes safety and what not” and that car is missing such a widely implemented feature because bad logistic and transitional planning I would be pissed too.

If I didn’t care about all of these features I would go buy an old car and call it a day. People need to stop taking defensive stands against these complains, they are valid.

What’s next? Will they remove wipers and promise a future update for self cleaning windshields? But in the meantime, don’t drive in the rain and clean your windshield every 20 minutes.
This and No blind spot monitoring!!!
My almost 10 year old Mazda has BSM indicator and beeps, along with rear cross traffic alerts !!

Re: original question:

Parking sensors cannot be retrofitted, so parking cannot be as easy as before 2023 (Retrofitting parking sensors for a new Model Y)

However, if you ABSOLUTELY need parking sensors it's easy to add it in the back - I've done that (well, not myself but car electricians) many times on old cars before parking sensors - you just buy something like that - https://www.amazon.com/Rostra-250-1920-FZ-Front-Mount-Parking-Assist/dp/B00P9FZKFQ/ref=sr_1_45

And attach it to reverse lights - so it'll beep when you're reversing.

However reversing is easiest part as there is already a cameras.

Front is harder, you may buy something like this - https://www.amazon.com/ELSNU-Vehicle-Reverse-Distance-Detection/dp/B0991WL7CB/ref=sr_1_39

This will give idea about front as well but it's kind of ugly and require quite a lot of wiring and potentially issues with warranty (where rear parking sensors constrained to area around back and much less intrusive)

If parking sensor is a complete deal breaker and for some reason other car brands is not an option - it may just work. I've installed and used such third party sensors a lot in years before 2015-2017 when parking sensors weren't that popular - I was quite happy with the effect.

Overall I find Tesla being extremely polarizing, they do some things SO much better in one place, just leaders, no competition, but if they fail in some other places - they fail miserably face flat down kind of way. Parking sensors and overall lack of 360 degree cameras are definitely example of the latest.

Reactions: EVChris