Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensors. Please help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the same boat- I would order right now but having a current car with USS (M3 2020 LR), and the thought of upgrading to a MY to lose a basic feature- its crazy.

I'm betting on some kind of new feature package being released in Jan/Feb. I would even also bet they will drop the price on the 3/Y, given that the tax rebate is so restrictive. It would also make sense as it would not f-over the people who just all took delivery in Dec.

Never know w Elon!

This whole USS talk is driving me nuts. Before USS we all knew how to gauge and park our cars without the aid of tech. All my car, including the two that I currently have do not have USS and my wife and myself are still able to park our cars just fine. People please just use the camera's for the time being, at least those work just fine.

Sorry for bitching but this whole USS thing has been beaten to death just about enough. Pretty sure they will implement it soon.

Before internet we all used to write letters. Before cell phones we just pre-arrange the time and place to meet. Before back up camera we all knew how to park.

It's not fair to compare modern times with the past. The tech is not new and people are used to have it. For a car this price and lacking basic luxury features it makes them look bad. With the same issue as OP my wife refuses to drive my Y due to no surround camera nor sensors. She's a new driver she never drove in the era of manual parking or no camera/sensors. My BMW from 10 years ago had both there's no excuse for Tesla.

Other than the USS, the blind spot warning sucks as well.

We ordered the car with those features but car is delivered without. Of course it's the customers' fault.
no, it's what you are purchasing.
Tesla sells technology-leading products that change over time. That is much of their marketing message, and likely what you were led to expect.
Tesla claims the ultrasonic sensors are unnecessary, and that the move to camera-only sensors will function the same or better.
If their products are, as a result, not acceptable to you, then you are free to not purchase them.

meanwhile, it remains likely that you can find an inventory vehicle with the specs you prefer, ie the ultrasonic sensors.
and for your trouble, Tesla would gift you a discount of $3750, and 10,000 free SuperCharger miles.
that's a pretty good deal, at least to my way of thinking......YMMV

Before internet we all used to write letters. Before cell phones we just pre-arrange the time and place to meet. Before back up camera we all knew how to park.

It's not fair to compare modern times with the past. The tech is not new and people are used to have it. For a car this price and lacking basic luxury features it makes them look bad. With the same issue as OP my wife refuses to drive my Y due to no surround camera nor sensors. She's a new driver she never drove in the era of manual parking or no camera/sensors. My BMW from 10 years ago had both there's no excuse for Tesla.

Other than the USS, the blind spot warning sucks as well.
complaining on this blog is gonna solve your problem. NOT

take the gift horse of discount and SuperCharger miles on an inventory car already.
you have choices. CHOOSE or get off the pot.

take the gift horse of discount and SuperCharger miles on an inventory car already.

Is this's Elon/Tesla's echo chamber? No negative comments allowed?

And to your point I complained to Elon on Twitter too. Guess what it doesn't solve anything either.
People complaining here are not looking for solution. They are just here to express their opinion which you may not agree.

I love and hate my MY. I love it's drive and hate the over hyped tech and removing features from the car for the sake of cost cutting.
I have to say my 4 years old CX9 is more luxurious, cheaper and has more robust safety tech than the supposedly high tech MY.

Last edited:
Reactions: sfRonH and Mike7564
Is this's Elon/Tesla's echo chamber? No negative comments allowed?

And to your point I complained to Elon on Twitter too. Guess what it doesn't solve anything either.
People complaining here are not looking for solution. They are just here to express their opinion which you may not agree.

I love and hate my MY. I love it's drive and hate the over hyped tech and removing features from the car for the sake of cost cutting.
I have to say my 4 years old CX9 is more luxurious, cheaper and has more robust safety tech than the supposedly high tech MY.
okay that's off your chest. congrats.

This whole USS talk is driving me nuts. Before USS we all knew how to gauge and park our cars without the aid of tech. All my car, including the two that I currently have do not have USS and my wife and myself are still able to park our cars just fine. People please just use the camera's for the time being, at least those work just fine.

Sorry for bitching but this whole USS thing has been beaten to death just about enough. Pretty sure they will implement it soon.
Can't believe you said this in this day and age. Tesla's are probably the only car made these days without parking sensors.

You might want to rephrase that statement.
Okay, I may have exaggerated somewhat, but I haven't owned a vehicle in the last 20 years or more that didn't have parking sensors. The only 'irrational' reason Musk could have for removing them is to save money, most likely due to his foray into Twitter bleeding dollars. I'm sure we'll accept the change if Tesla can demonstrate that cameras can do an effective job.

Last edited:
Reactions: sfRonH
Okay, I may have exaggerated somewhat, but I haven't owned a vehicle in the last 20 years or more that didn't have parking sensors. The only 'irrational' reason Musk could have for removing them is to save money, most likely due to his foray into Twitter bleeding dollars. I (we) will accept the change if Tesla can demonstrate that cameras can do an effective job.
Actually, the Tesla head of AI development was interviewed about it and discussed that it wasn't about the sensor costs - they're cheap.
It was about the complexity - of software integration of multiple sensor types, that sensors change and drivers need updating, tracking the permutations and combinations of all of them so the User sees a seamless performance of the product.
If you've been in the tech industry, it makes total sense.
You have to believe what he says about that the cameras will do the job well. It may not be tomorrow, but it'll work as well.

If you've been in the tech industry, it makes total sense.
You have to believe what he says about that the cameras will do the job well. It may not be tomorrow, but it'll work as well.
Thanks, no I'm not a tech guy but I hear what you're saying. The thing is, as others have said and I agree, it's better policy to have a replacement ready to go before these sort of changes are made.

And this is why Tesla and Elon have gotten away with some of their decisions. There are rabid fanboys who will bow to Elon no matter what.

Thanks, no I'm not a tech guy but I hear what you're saying. The thing is, as others have said and I agree, it's better policy to have a replacement ready to go before these sort of changes are made.
that's the thing about tech.
the changes come from many directions and replacement takes both time and pre-knowledge.

when writing software in support of a sensor, changes to the sensor happen midstream as it's manufacturer adjusts to tech evolution and competition.
so the sensor you're contracted to buy gets 'better' and it's meets the contracted spec, but requires firmware changes to work correctly in your application.

it's not simple, it takes time, and so.....simplifying your sensor suite can make sense. the cost of a sensor is almost irrelevant.

Reactions: Power Hungry
The cameras literally can’t see under the front bumper. Maybe he’s talking about additional cameras that will be added in the future? (Can you say “retrofit” $?)
you don't know that.
image sensors have a wide range of coverage. some 2 degrees, some 360, etc.
so we cannot know what Tesla will do, but they say it will work as well.

by the way, the USS are on the front of the car and cannot see under it.

Reactions: Power Hungry
you don't know that.
image sensors have a wide range of coverage. some 2 degrees, some 360, etc.
so we cannot know what Tesla will do, but they say it will work as well.

by the way, the USS are on the front of the car and cannot see under it.
I’m not a lens expert, but I doubt the front cameras can see downward pass the tip of the front bumper, that being said, I can only assume that’s not how they will solve this issue.

My guess is that they would use some sort of object persistency technique to detect objects before they hit the front camera “blind spot”(aka while the car is still in motion) and then just recall that the object is there from memory and trajectory as you get close to it.

I don’t know I’m just guessing and I don’t know what I talk about it, I’m excited and a little scared to see how this works.

Cameras tend to get..dirty very quickly in some particular weather and environments.

I just got my 2023 Model Y before Thanksgiving and not having the parking sensors is a huge hindrance after driving my 2021 for the past couple years with them. When parking in a tight space they are super helpful. Yes I can park without them but this is a huge down grade! The cameras in low light don't come close to how handy the sensors work. Plus when you are used to using them it's kind of a pain going back to not having it. Like going back to texting by pushing a number 2 times for a letter! There isn't even a little chime when you are about to hit something. My beater 2014 truck at least has that! Disappointed.