Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fact they are offering a retrofit at all says a lot about the Company. I can't recall the last time a car manufacturer offers upgrades direct of factory options to prior vehicles. If this is successful, perhaps there will be more in the future.

Actually all Tesla ever said was that it would put people on an interest list and based upon the level of interest, they would make an announcement "in a few weeks" about whether a retrofit will be offered and for how much. They may still decide not to do it.

As a used car buyer I have zero interest in what the person payed new. It's all about availability and comparison to the price I can get the car new. The idea that a person is going to be able to charge more for selling their their Model S because they payed more for the same car is ridiculous.

If I knew in advance that the seller only paid 1/2 of the going price for a car I would bargain a lot harder and try to get the price down way below current sales.

The fact they are offering a retrofit at all says a lot about the Company. I can't recall the last time a car manufacturer offers upgrades direct of factory options to prior vehicles. If this is successful, perhaps there will be more in the future.

BMW, Volvo and others offer retrofits. You missed an example I posted. Volvo offers rear camera, front blind view camera, navigation, parking sensors, fog lights and many other options as retrofits after the fact.

It's limited with other manufacturers to things like satellite radio, but it isn't unheard of.

JThe fact they are offering a retrofit at all says a lot about the Company. I can't recall the last time a car manufacturer offers upgrades direct of factory options to prior vehicles. If this is successful, perhaps there will be more in the future.

FWIW a friend bought a Toyota Sienna a couple of years ago and the dealer retro-fitted factory parking sensors for him no problem.

Anything is possible if you're willing to pay. Tesla has a strong opportunity to help existing owners increase value and satisfaction by providing authorized retrofits. I know they're listening and I'm confident they'll do the right thing. In all my years of retrofitting stuff on cars the authorized kits have certainly been the easiest, but in some cars even the unauthorized aren't too difficult. I've seen everything from parking sensors to sound systems to transmissions and differentials, all depending on the manufacturer.

In terms of Model S, my list of things (ranked in order from easiest to hardest in my opinion) I'd like to see them consider. I only want a few of these, but I know others have expressed an interest.

1. Fog Lights
2. Parking sensors
3. Performance Plus Package
4. Rear Heated Seats/Subzero Package
5. Sound Studio
6. Rear-Facing Seats
7. Air Suspension

My only concern is pricing. I hope Tesla isn't as crazy as they have been in the past pricing certain accessories.

While my car is in service I initiated a conversation with my service advisor and concierge to see how difficult it would be to obtain part numbers and actual parts. I'm not sure if anybody has actually ordered parts for their car (or what type of pricing they're seeing) but I'm very much interested in the European tail lights (unless the new US ones blink amber) and some other stuff. Even if the retrofit isn't authorized for certain things, I'm happy to help anybody in any way I can to retrofit something to their car.

While my car is in service I initiated a conversation with my service advisor and concierge to see how difficult it would be to obtain part numbers and actual parts. I'm not sure if anybody has actually ordered parts for their car (or what type of pricing they're seeing) but I'm very much interested in the European tail lights (unless the new US ones blink amber) and some other stuff. Even if the retrofit isn't authorized for certain things, I'm happy to help anybody in any way I can to retrofit something to their car.

Given the extremely limited bandwidth of Tesla Service, I asked several Tesla managers if I could order the suspension parts that comprise the P+ package and have a local, highly reputable performance shop install them. I even offered to have Tesla inspect the installation after it was completed. I was told that Tesla is not authorizing 3rd parties to work on the Model S (except for crash repair, of course).

Given the extremely limited bandwidth of Tesla Service, I asked several Tesla managers if I could order the suspension parts that comprise the P+ package and have a local, highly reputable performance shop install them. I even offered to have Tesla inspect the installation after it was completed. I was told that Tesla is not authorizing 3rd parties to work on the Model S (except for crash repair, of course).

I could install them myself. They're removable. I just want a source I can order parts from.

One of our club members just had a conversation with a Tesla representative on this subject. He was told that retrofits are being considered and that Tesla would like to get a better grasp of the degree of interest in retrofits. I assume this has to do with economies of scale.

Therefore, it would be helpful if those interested in retrofitting parking sensors communicated this desire to Tesla.

Larry

I'll be calling Tesla tomorrow about when they will be able to retrofit at least parts of the cold-weather package (I don't really need the rear heated seats, but the wiper blade defrosters and washer nozzle heaters are incredibly valuable, and surely they *have* to be retrofittable.) Also about the improved fog lights. I might as well ask about the parking sensors at the same time. I have already managed to scratch the paint on my bumper and am paying to have it fixed, ao maybe I should get them. :redface:

wouldn't euro tail lights be set up for the Mennekes plug (not the tesla US plug)?

In the beginning I thought so, but it turns out that the charge port is not attached to the tail lamp assembly. The only difference is the side marker LEDs on European models are used to communicate charge status. But as long as they light up red when the headlights are on, this should be OK.

$T2eC16d,!yME9s5qIFncBR67BK2ePw~~60_57.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and noticed this earlier:

$T2eC16h,!)!E9s2fDwz(BR0eoiH2jg~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16V,!)0E9s37GGfVBR0eooL4)!~~60_57.JPG

I think others have confirmed, but if not, there are markings for the sensor holes in the bumpers and nose cone, at least on my car P14166.

@wdimagineer: Thanks for your pictures. Do you have any pictures of the rest of the front bumper and the rear bumpers with the sensor markers? Your picture is one of the clearer ones showing the nosecone scoring, but yes, the nose cone ones have been shown already. I don't personally recall seeing the other ones yet in the front and rear bumpers.

My guess is that labor is a huge portion. The Tesla Service Center charges ~$150/hr.

Example:
Remove front/rear bumper - 1 hr
Install - 1-2 hrs.
Put it all back - 1 hr.
Test - 1 hr.

That's just labor, 4-5 hours @ $150/hr = $600 minimum. Since the twin charger costs ~$1800 in just labor, it seems reasonable that parking sensors would cost $600-1000 to install.