Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're all set then. Just put the switch on Parking Assist and leave it. :)

Technical, they can't even be in the car, even if turned off. Many years ago, I had a buddy that hid a detector sensor in a fog light and was caught. Had his car torn apart and impounded. (He was using it when caught, and I think the police here have tools that can detect jammers and radar detectors).

If I had something like this, I know I'd be tempted to use it. :smile:

I know when I drove into Nevada where these are also illegal, or so it was years ago, I could turn it off and since I had California plates, they would generally leave me alone. I have to respect the local laws by turning it off, but they have no right to ask me to remove it if I do not reside there!!

Just realized that the Model S has no parking sensors, after I just finalized. Told my wife, who now says she refuses to drive any car that does not have parking sensors, as she relies on them not to damage the bumpers. This is a serious omission by Tesla. When I called customer service, they said it is the most frequent comment/complaint they receive. When I asked why they don't have them, he said that they wanted to spend their limited engineering budget on other more important things. I reminded him that the engineering for parking sensors has been around for years and hardly requires any engineering work, is inexpensive, and is offered on cars that sell for less than 20, and is considered a standard feature as I am concerned. Please contact Tesla and complain; maybe they will offer a factory installed solution this year, and/or an approved after market option. CALL THEM PLEASE!

I decided to spend the money to have aftermarket sensors installed. My installer found a kit that has sensors that are exactly like OEM ones, i.e. they are installed from behind the bumpers and they are flush with the surface. Most aftermarket kits install from outside the bumpers (cheaper) but have a raised bezel and therefore don't look as clean as the OEM ones.

Because of the holidays, I don't expect to have this done for another week or so. At that time I will post some pics.

The install was completed yesterday afternoon. I am 100% happy with the result, both visually and functionally. To recap, the sensor kit came from Cobra in the UK. They exactly match what the manufacturers use, so they mount flush in the bumper. Since they were painted to match, the only thing this is visible is the small grommet ring around the sensor.

Functionally, the rear sensors are activated when Reverse is selected. They beep at an increasing frequency as you approach an object, with a continuous tone at about 2 feet. The front sensors are active when the ignition is on, but can be turned off with a hidden switch that was conveniently mounted in the center stack. This is useful so that you don't hear any beeping while driving in stop and go traffic. There are separate speakers front and rear that you can distinguish by tone. So everything looks and works exactly as if it was done by the factory, with the exception of any visual cues, which I don't have in any of my other cars with parking sensors.

The work was performed by Sound Innovations in Hayward, CA. These guys do such good work that of 42 reviews on Yelp, 39 are 5-star! If you live in the Bay Area and are potentially interested in having them upgrade your Model S with these sensors, PM me for pricing info.

RearAlign_zps088b2b56.jpg

FrontAlign_zps0b755f56.jpg

PaintedSensors_zpsceb145df.jpg

RearInstall_zps034513a6.jpg

SensorCloseup_zpsae1f98ea.jpg

RearWiring_zpsb518d80d.jpg

FrontInstall_zpse24b8196.jpg

RearDone_zpscbdbcfb8.jpg

FrontDone_zps8330ebd7.jpg

FrontNose_zps35ad26b1.jpg

The install was completed yesterday afternoon. I am 100% happy with the result, both visually and functionally. To recap, the sensor kit came from Cobra in the UK. They exactly match what the manufacturers use, so they mount flush in the bumper. Since they were painted to match, the only thing this is visible is the small grommet ring around the sensor.

Functionally, the rear sensors are activated when Reverse is selected. They beep at an increasing frequency as you approach an object, with a continuous tone at about 2 feet. The front sensors are active when the ignition is on, but can be turned off with a hidden switch that was conveniently mounted in the center stack. This is useful so that you don't hear any beeping while driving in stop and go traffic. There are separate speakers front and rear that you can distinguish by tone. So everything looks and works exactly as if it was done by the factory, with the exception of any visual cues, which I don't have in any of my other cars with parking sensors.

The work was performed by Sound Innovations in Hayward, CA. These guys do such good work that of 42 reviews on Yelp, 39 are 5-star! If you live in the Bay Area and are potentially interested in having them upgrade your Model S with these sensors, PM me for pricing info.

What a sweet install!

Dennis, I'm not seeing your pic's, is it just me? Very interested in seeing how it turned out.

Also, you say "continuous tone at about 2 feet" - isn't it from 2 feet to a few inches where you need the system most?

Dennis, I'm not seeing your pic's, is it just me? Very interested in seeing how it turned out.

Also, you say "continuous tone at about 2 feet" - isn't it from 2 feet to a few inches where you need the system most?

Pics are imbedded with tags - I think others are seeing them.

I believe the reasoning behind the continuous tone at 2 ft. is as a warning so that if you are moving you have time to stop before hitting the obstacle. Once I get to 2 ft I can judge the distance of small movements in the car, and for the rear there is always the backup camera.

Pics are imbedded with tags - I think others are seeing them. [/QUOTE]

OK, I think the hospital where I work for some reason blocks photobucket.com... silly.

[quote="dennis, post: 243622"]
I believe the reasoning behind the continuous tone at 2 ft. is as a warning so that if you are moving you have time to stop before hitting the obstacle. Once I get to 2 ft I can judge the distance of small movements in the car, and for the rear there is always the backup camera.
[/QUOTE]

I see your point of view. The way I use my parking sensors (in a Volvo) is I back up until I loose mye visual guidance and then rely on the beeping to get real close with the rear bumper without hitting whatever is behind me. I like the way Volvo has set them up, beeps increase in frequency until it becomes continuous only 2 or 3 inches before "impact".

Dennis, that looks fantastic! Really top notch job on that install.

I'd be curious to know if you or your installer noticed any factory wiring harnesses in there for future parking sensors from Tesla.

I wasn't there when the bumpers were off, but the installer never mentioned anything about future sensor wiring and I'm sure he would if he had discovered it. And if you look at the middle picture where his wiring is laid out for the rears, there isn't anything else showing, although I guess it could be bundled up in the harness inside the trunk. I'm not sure why Tesla would go to the trouble of fitting wiring for parking sensors and then not complete the job by installing them. It's a well understood technology.

Great post Dennis, thanks for doing this.

..I am going to hold out as long as I can before doing anything aftermarket ...as I really want tesla do something that would be integrated with the car ( screen / speakers ) itself.

Really, the install looks great! It appears to be a real and viable option for those who insist on them. I dont see the lack of them as deal breakers, but would love to have them. And would consider this aftermarket option for mine.

I know that aftermarket installs dont violate warranty terms and the precedents exist for traditional vehicles requiring evidence of failures to aftermarket installs in claims. I assume it wold be the case for the S as well. But given that the S "appears to be" more reliant on a central system for much of the mechanicals, I wonder if there's any impact to the Tesla warranty terms by something like this.

Did you have any chance to speak with Tesla about this to get their official (or even unofficial) "OK"?

Really, the install looks great! It appears to be a real and viable option for those who insist on them. I dont see the lack of them as deal breakers, but would love to have them. And would consider this aftermarket option for mine.

I know that aftermarket installs dont violate warranty terms and the precedents exist for traditional vehicles requiring evidence of failures to aftermarket installs in claims. I assume it wold be the case for the S as well. But given that the S "appears to be" more reliant on a central system for much of the mechanicals, I wonder if there's any impact to the Tesla warranty terms by something like this.

Did you have any chance to speak with Tesla about this to get their official (or even unofficial) "OK"?

My installer has a contact that work in Tesla Engineering. He spoke with him about the electronics (picking up the reverse signal, etc.), and that guy also contacted someone else to make sure it was OK to penetrate the bumper. While this was not official, we got the green light from folks with expertise. I'm not concerned about this modification creating warranty issues.

My installer has a contact that work in Tesla Engineering. He spoke with him about the electronics (picking up the reverse signal, etc.), and that guy also contacted someone else to make sure it was OK to penetrate the bumper. While this was not official, we got the green light from folks with expertise. I'm not concerned about this modification creating warranty issues.

Cool, that's probably as much of an acknowledgement you could get from Tesla. Do you mind sharing the approximate cost for the parts and install?