Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another prediction:

Tesla holding off on US parking sensors until they can add it to a new options package or the equivalent of a "2014 Model S" that comes with parking sensors, adaptive cruise control, and other goodies. Oh, and a nice little price increase for the car. I hope this prediction is wrong but if they do go this route, hopefully they will offer a service to retrofit some/all of these features into existing Model S's.

Another prediction:

Tesla holding off on US parking sensors until they can add it to a new options package or the equivalent of a "2014 Model S" that comes with parking sensors, adaptive cruise control, and other goodies. Oh, and a nice little price increase for the car. I hope this prediction is wrong but if they do go this route, hopefully they will offer a service to retrofit some/all of these features into existing Model S's.
How's that line up with the fact that it's already available for EU models?

Thanks for posting! It's almost nostalgic to see all the signature options again too! Almost makes me miss the waiting an speculating we did back about a year ago. So many options I wish I had, parking sensors, P+, lighting, ect. I can't really sell my Model S for the upgrade either because of the $6k in after market modifications I've done. I hope to get the retrofit later for the sensors and hope it's offered this summer.

My installer imported it and paid the customs duty.

Can show pictures of how the park sensors look in real usage? The description indicates audiovisual cues so are there Color overlays on the display screen?

I really hope we can get this as a retrofit in North America from Tesla. From your sig I presume you're in California. Did your installer need to get special software updates to make it work? Any statement on how difficult it was to add? Who did you use?

Funny if you had to import from UK back to California to get this.

Can show pictures of how the park sensors look in real usage? The description indicates audiovisual cues so are there Color overlays on the display screen?

I really hope we can get this as a retrofit in North America from Tesla. From your sig I presume you're in California. Did your installer need to get special software updates to make it work? Any statement on how difficult it was to add? Who did you use?

Funny if you had to import from UK back to California to get this.

Just to be clear, I had Cobra aftermarket parking sensors installed. While they look like a factory install (flush with bumper with no bezel, painted to match bumper, etc.) they are not integrated with the Tesla display.

Cobra offers two options. Mine use only audio feedback, which is the same as what I have had on past cars with factory parking sensors (M5/Fisker/McLaren). There are two speakers so you can discern front vs. rear, and the frequency of beeping increases as you get closer to an object.

Another owner had the same sensors installed with the addition of Cobra visual displays. These are separate front and rear displays with LEDs that progressively light up as you approach an object.

Parking Sensors | Parking Sensor | Visual Parking Aid — Products — Cobra Vehicle Security

I expect that the Tesla factory parking sensors offered for European buyers (and hopefully for the US in the future) will integrate visual feedback on the main and/or dash displays.

I have heard that our current North American Model S cars have the wiring in place for parking sensors and the retrofit is possible. Has anyone else confirmed this? It wouldn't be the first time Tesla has hidden/preinstalled features in place to allow upgrade functionality (supercharger hardware, 40->60 KwH batteries, etc), so I'm not surprised.

I thought I read somewhere that at Teslive, Tesla said it would be too difficult to install, but since others have had 3rd party sensors done, I can't imagine this is beyond Tesla. The Euro option is "only" around 500 Euros at time of order, but I expect a retrofit to be quite a bit more. I'm still willing to bite.