Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking Sun Shade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Wondering if anyone uses a sunshade on their windshield when parked to prevent heat and also to protect the dash from the sun. I'm not talking about the one that Tesla provides that attaches above the rear view mirror. If so, would like to hear some feedback and recommendations on some models and makes.

thanks.

There's a few threads on this with a number of owners using one...probably some threads in the S forum too. Try searching for Sun Shade. A popular manufacture is Heatshield ( https://www.heatshieldstore.com ). They do custom shades. I see you are located in the SF bay area and they are located in Morgan Hill (just south of San Jose). We considered getting maybe a windshield shade (have Tesla's Pano shades) but I was concerned about the fact we have a Blackvue dashcam installed. I called them to ask about our situation and concerns trapping the camera between the glass and the reflective shade and they were super nice suggesting since I was in the area if I wanted I could bring the car there and they would see if they could template a shield to do a cut out for our camera. Sure this would need to be arranged ahead of time. I know we had a discussion about this in one of the threads a while back. Someone had a shade and dashcam and said they hadn't thought about the issue. Was going to report back on their experience without a cutout. Haven't check in on the thread disussion recently.

We've been using the cabin overheat protection and hubby at this point was thinking maybe we didn't need the extra windshield protection so I didn't followup with taking the car there. I personally think it's worth doing but to each his own.

Wondering if anyone uses a sunshade on their windshield when parked to prevent heat and also to protect the dash from the sun. I'm not talking about the one that Tesla provides that attaches above the rear view mirror. If so, would like to hear some feedback and recommendations on some models and makes.
I have a Heatshield and it works well. See https://www.heatshieldstore.com/

I got a roll of foil-face bubble wrap insulation from Home Depot, and cut out a piece about 1/4" smaller than the Tesla sun shade. I sandwich the foil sheet between the windshield and the Tesla sun shade which holds the foil layer in place. Works great both in the summer to reject solar heating, and on very cold winter days to insulate the upper windshield.
The foil rolls up nicely and doesn't take up much space in the trunk.