TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Parking with Smart Summon

Discussion in 'Autopilot & Autonomous/FSD' started by Dubes, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Dubes

Dubes Member

Smart Summon is mostly unnecessary but AWESOME! I find the Go to Target feature just as fun. Has anyone else used it to park their car in a lot?
    Here is some of what I have learned so far: If there are spaces where no cars are parked you can send it there since the final direction it will face is not easily controlled.
    I discovered a technique to park in a space with limited success: Send your Tesla down a lane where there are many open spaces and stop. Now pick a space just in front and a couple lanes over. The track should go through several spaces. Stop just before getting to a space.
    What successes have other people had?

2. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Currently, I am not sure Smart Summon is for parking. It is emphasizing "picking up" and not on the proper parking capability within parking markings.

It's the first release so I don't expect too much from it. It still has a long way to improve.

• Like x 1
  3. Puddles

Puddles Member

I had an unexpected result yesterday after summoning my car. It refused to open! I was standing there with my iPad, which I use as my key, and the doors wouldn't unlock. I had to dig out my fob in order to get in, but then everything worked properly.

I also carelessly used Go To Target to stop in the lane outside my door, and sure enough, it stopped... right in the middle of the lane, blocking all traffic. I thought it was hilarious but I got the sense that others were annoyed. That's good advice to pick a Target that's not right in the middle of everything.

4. diplomat33

diplomat33 Active Member

Smart Summon is currently designed for pick up, not parking, as Tam said. I suspect that at some point later, Tesla will add the parking ability. Tesla could do this by integrating the auto park feature into Smart Summon's "go to target" mode. Basically, you could use the "go to target" mode by when the car gets close to a parking spot, the auto park feature could take over. Also, Tesla is probably waiting for auto park to work with just lines before they implementing parking in Smart Summon. I suspect that is what the upcoming Smart Park will be.

5. diplomat33

diplomat33 Active Member

Musk predicts Smart Park in a "a month or two" but admits it might be silly at first (ie suck). Take his predictions with a large grain of salt.

[​IMG]

6. Dubes

Dubes Member

Of course it's not for parking yet! But that doesn't mean parking is not possible. Just curious if others are trying to park with it too.

7. croman

croman Active Member

Tesla will release features to book money associated with them not because they are actually useful or ready. I've seen this show for 3 years.

• Disagree x 2
  8. diplomat33

diplomat33 Active Member

9. electronblue

electronblue Active Member

Of course it will.

I mean come on, you didn’t expect early FSD buyers would get some features for their money? ;)

• Funny x 4
  10. diplomat33

diplomat33 Active Member

Touche.

• Funny x 1
  11. ramonneke

ramonneke Active Member

I'm laughing, but it is not funny at all..... How could I be *that* stupid to buy FSD last year.

• Funny x 1
  12. electronblue

electronblue Active Member

Well in fairness Autopilot 2 was announced three years ago now... who knew there would be absolutely no FSD (the ~2016-2018 FSD option) differentiating features three years later. Tesla never made it known that’s for sure, not after January 2017 anyway...

• Love x 1