Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parrot Asteroid SMART 2DIN Head Unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Parrott RNB6 has been announced (at CES). Looks to be a pretty simple drop-in upgrade to the Asteroid, and brings a bunch of new features. Ethernet. OBDII. Bluetooth 4. Front-facing camera. Driver Assist style features. Android 5.0. Most importantly - both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

As usual 'available later this year', and price TBA, but seems a sensible path...

Last edited by a moderator:
And a dashcam too. Interesting. Adapter needed for rear camera?

There is a big 10x2 connector at the rear bottom-left labelled AV-IN/OUT. I'm guessing they provide a cable for that.

Also, notice less USB ports (with Asteroid they've recently added USB camera support), and switched to a built-in GPS (with external simple antenna).

My biggest concern is that they announced the original Asteroid at CES as well, then took three years to actually deliver it. Specs for this look great at the moment, but if they again take years to ship it will be out-of-date before it is launched.

It can be done in a 1.5! TBD whether it is worth upgrading to this new one.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420695420.040900.jpg

@ Mark...as a side note, I had the Metra Stalk (about 180.00 CAD) installed on my steering column Metra Online | Parts | Metra Auto Parts Online Warehouse ...it allows single touch volume adjustment + more ...I remember that was a pet peeve of yours...

Thanks for the link. In the end, I used Asteroid Tweaker to re-map the volume and app switcher soft buttons to up/down volume. That, combined with Asteroid Tweaker's speed-aware volume adjustment, works just fine for me.

Interestingly, the new RNB6 unit has volume up/down buttons already. Seems like they learned something...

Thanks for the link. In the end, I used Asteroid Tweaker to re-map the volume and app switcher soft buttons to up/down volume. That, combined with Asteroid Tweaker's speed-aware volume adjustment, works just fine for me.

Interestingly, the new RNB6 unit has volume up/down buttons already. Seems like they learned something...

Thanks Markwj,

I installed the Asteriod Tweaker tonight and I already love having the volume controls on the main screen. I only wish they would stay over the media player to be accessible on that screen. Though it's a great improvement to the stock slider.

I used Asteroid Tweaker to re-map the soft buttons VOLUME and RECENTAPPS to be Volume UP and Volume DOWN. Those buttons are then always available. Only thing you lose is the recent apps button, but if you hold down on the home button you get that anyway.

Thanks Markwj,

I installed the Asteriod Tweaker tonight and I already love having the volume controls on the main screen. I only wish they would stay over the media player to be accessible on that screen. Though it's a great improvement to the stock slider.

I used Asteroid Tweaker to re-map the soft buttons VOLUME and RECENTAPPS to be Volume UP and Volume DOWN. Those buttons are then always available. Only thing you lose is the recent apps button, but if you hold down on the home button you get that anyway.

Thank you again. Not being able to get to the recent apps was the reason I didn't reassign the buttons. You are solving all my issues. Do you know if you can change the speed sensing speeds? I tried to update them and it said invalid entry. I love the ability of the volume to self adjust. I will update the buttons when I go home tonight!

Thanks again!

---Kent

I'll call this one the Winter project. I upgraded the bootanimation.zip for the Parrot Asteroid.

We start with the standard Parrot boot screen which is compiled into the unit. This lasts for a few seconds.

20150221_220420276_iOS.jpg

Followed by the Tesla Roadster sketch drawing. This is shown while the system is loading the Android files 5-10 seconds.

20150221_220429644_iOS.jpg

And lastly the wallpaper with the apps showing...

20150221_220456799_iOS.jpg

The hours required to make this happen were insane. I'm a programmer by trade and it became an Parrot against me type issue. I have included links to the files that I used for the project. The bootanimation.zip requires Root Access to complete. Anyone can use the wallpaper file. If anyone is interested, I'd be glad to document each program used to make your own.

The wallpaper can be found on my web site.

Roadster Wallpaper

BootAnimation.zip