TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Part 1 was awesome. Guesses for what will be in part 2?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by lianregnif, Apr 2, 2016.

1. lianregnif

lianregnif Member

Elon said the unveil of the model 3 is split into two parts.

Part 2 would be closer to production.

Any predictions of what will be announced for part 2?

2. deonb

deonb Active Member

• Funny x 1
  3. FirstSea

FirstSea Member

Aside from the obvious greater range and faster acceleration than promised... I'm going with at least lv 3 autonomy or fully autonomous driving (after it's introduced in newest S and X).

Then again it's Tesla, so they could very well add something completely unheard of.

4. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

An instrument cluster.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  5. kaess

kaess Member

Autopilot 2.0 - Pathway to full autonomous driving. Elon said that full autonomous was two years away during an interview with Fortune in December 2015. This lines up almost exactly with the ship date of the Model 3. I think the lack of a driver dashboard and HUD is a teaser to this expanded functionality. Eventually, Model 3 owners may even be able to remove the steering wheel and pedals, such that the cabin is symmetrical.

Home Wall Connector/Supercharger 2.0 - The automatic "snake" charging cable to complete full autonomous parking and charging. Potentially, even faster supercharging times.

Additional Configurations - Official specs for larger battery packs, Dual motor configurations, and software enabled options (e.g. Ludicrous mode)

Smartphone/Infotainment Integration - Speaking in Hong Kong, Elon said they are pivoting away from a Tesla SDK, and moving more towards app mirroring. I envision an integration like Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. This could be announced earlier at a Model S update event.

Tesla Autonomous Valet - The ability to summon your Model 3 from far distances. For example, if one travels to an all-day meeting, the Model 3 could drive itself to the nearest Supercharger, re-charge, and park. Then when he/she is ready to leave the meeting, he/she can summon the Model 3 from the Supercharger station. The biggest hurdle to this use case will be regulatory since the car will be operating without any human passenger.

6. Lonnie123

Lonnie123 Member

Obviously they will have bigger battery versions, faster versions, lighting/trim upgrades, etc... But the "next level" stuff will really have to be about the Auto Pilot and the Battery I think. Everything else, while nice, isnt really "disrupting" (and I know all the kids like to disrupt, these days). In fact, its kind of inevitable. I know everyone lost their *sugar* about the P100D badge image (and I get why)... But was there ever a doubt that it was coming? Its only a matter of when, really.

Its kind of odd that he mentioned it in terms of being specifically about the Model 3 (he said its Part 2 of the model 3 reveal, not just the next gen of ALL of Tesla motors cars), so that actually has me thinking that it could be something no one has any idea about...

Then again this really could just be about how much range they can get out of the biggest battery option, and how ludicrous the acceleration will be compared to other cars in its class. Given the roadster 3.0 got some impressive range, this car could really take EV range to the next level and make it the car that finally ends the discussion. 350 miles with a 10 minutes to 80% SOC would be lights out for almost any other car in its price range, why even bother with an ICE at that point?

7. Kenypowa

Kenypowa Member

Model Y AND fully autonomous aka Autopilot 2.

Judging by Elon's tweets, he was expecting more preorders from part 2 unveil than part 1. So it got to be a hardware and software event.

$38k Model Y would destroy the CUV market. It will eat the lunch of RAV 4, CRV, Q5, X3 and Grand Cherokee.

8. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

Guesses for what will be in part 2?

What about a “bioweapon defense mode"!

>> The air conditioning system in the new Tesla Model X has three modes:
    >> - circulating air from outside the car,
    >> - re-circulating air that’s already inside the cabin, and
    >> - a “bioweapon defense mode,” triggered by a button on the dashboard,
    >> which creates positive pressure inside the cabin to keep outside particles at bay.

[​IMG]

9. thefuturenow

thefuturenow Member

- Autopilot features that can partially or fully follow GPS directions. (It has the hardware already so all it needs is the software, which will be no small feat, and regulations in place.)

- Model X air conditioning features/filter.

I don't foresee Tesla announcing a new car model until they have full production underway to fulfill reservations.

10. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

I know what I want....COUGH...[LIFTBACK!!!!] :D

• Like x 2
  11. MartinAustin

MartinAustin Active Member

Good call...

12. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

• Like x 2
  13. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Sure, Tesla will just give away 10kWh per vehicle, in a few hounded thousand cars per year with basic battery.
    Makes perfect business case bleeding 2k per every $35k car sold. After all it is just $2k x 100k cars = $200M. Peanuts.

Not.

• Like x 2
  14. p-f-g

p-f-g Member

It's not a bad idea. And Tesla will not give away anything. Less manufacturing and maintenance cost and the price for the upgrade will largely paid for the "free unused" kWh. And how many of the base version users will be tempted to buy the upgrade during the life of their car?

15. garsh

garsh Re Member

Including a larger battery and limiting usage via software is fine as a short-term stopgap measure. They did this for the few people who ordered an S40, and they're doing it again for the people ordering an S70 while they transition the entry level S to an S75. But there is a price to pay in profit margin. And the battery continues to be the most expensive part of an electric vehicle. So no, I don't see them software-limiting the Model 3's entry-level battery. I think they'll just have two battery capacity options.

• Like x 1
  16. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Reasoning by analogy, ultimate fail.

• Like x 1
  17. Booga

Booga Member

The odds of the battery being larger than order, but software enabled, will depend on the percentage that they think will go for it. If they think that in the first 5 years of usage, 90% of people will enable it, then it's probably worth it. Who knows what their assumptions are.

18. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

"All versions of Model 3 have the SAME battery." -- (c) Malcolm 2016

19. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Not $35k.

Elon's expecting the average to be $42k.

So that's $2k to unlock the extra battery range, $2k to enable Supercharging and $3k to enable full Autopilot or whatever.

More to the point, would GM or BMW or Nissan have an answer for this sort of offer?

Market dominance sounds like a pretty good business case to me.

20. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I think people way overestimate the cost savings of reducing battery configurations. The battery is the most expensive component of the car, and doing this would absolutely destroy margins.

• Like x 1